Skip to main content

Short story about a man donating a rare blood type who learns that the donation is for a vampire


When I was a child, I read a number of Alfred Hitchcock's anthologies. One of them included a short story involving a man with a rare blood type who answers an advertisement for people paying for his blood type. I remember that he had a short aside about how people would criticize him for asking for payment, but that he felt that he should be compensated for his time and inconvenience, particularly since most blood donation places would just turn around and sell the blood to the patients who needed it. Anyhow, partway through the donation, he comes to a realization that the man he is providing the donation to is, in fact, a vampire, and one with a genetic condition that means that he can only drink rare blood types. I remember the narrator was disabused of a few traditional bits of vampire folklore by the vampire; I particularly remember the vampire claiming that the whole "catches fire in sunlight" thing was more along the lines of a really bad sunburn, raising blisters upon contact. At the end, the narrator agreed to come back for more donations. I remember the story's illustrating involved an IV bag of blood with a vampire's face imposed upon it.


When I was last home, I looked through Witch's Brew and Spellbinders in Suspense (although I am told that this may have been a generic name for several of his collections) and did not find the story in them. I was fairly certain that we had a third book, but I could not find it in the time I had. Based on eliminating the anthologies that I did browse at home, it might have been in a volume that included two other stories. One involved a crystal bell that could bring people back to the life in exchange for the loss of another's life (initially, the bell didn't work, but someone realized that they had the clapper on their necklace) which ended with someone falling on the bell and having a shard pierce their heart. The other about a man who somehow bought two "knacks", in his case the ability to compose rhymes at any time (and, in fact, he couldn't stop rhyming) and the ability to "make money" which translated to him doodling out perfectly detailed dollar bills whenever his thoughts drifted. Faced with legal problems from accidentally counterfeiting, and his wife becoming increasingly annoyed at the rhyming, he somehow exchanged the gift of "making money" for the gift of silence, and started working for a greeting card company. I do believe those two stories were in the same anthology, but I am not 100% certain that it was with the same one as the vampire and the blood donor.



Answer



The story is called "Blood Money", and according to this site it's in Witch's Brew.


*Witch's Brew* book cover




M. Timothy O'Keefe - Blood Money: Ashbury, possessed of a rare blood group, makes his living from regular donations to the Hospital and Blood Bank. Comes the day when he answers an advertisement placed in the newspaper and finds himself strapped to a bed, a vampire doctor hovering over him with a syringe. The undead have learned to adapt with the times.



According to this site it states the original "Blood Money" was in Witch's Brew from 1965, and the book I mentioned is a reprint I think in 1977.


http://www.hitchcockwiki.com/wiki/M._Timothy_O'Keefe



"Blood Money" in Alfred Hitchcock's Witches' Brew (1965)



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

languages - Do we ever see written English in the Star Wars films?

In Empire Strikes Back , we see a transcription of what R2's beeps and bloops mean, but it's not English (sorry for the low quality, it's from the 2004 DVDs): I'd assume it's what Basic looks like when written, but is there some point in the the Star Wars films we see written English instead? (This sort of spun off from a discussion in How do people understand astromech droids? .) Answer At one point there was English but it has been phased out in subsequent versions of the films. Chris Gould at DVD Active did a comparison of all versions of each of the Star Wars films, and in his comparison of Episode 4 , there are a couple of screenshots showing how the power gauge for the Death Star tractor beam was changed. I imagine there are probably more to be found in his other comparisons but I haven't got around to reading those yet.

Was the "pure soul" of Harry's what had really hurt Voldemort?

In the Order of the Phoenix, Voldemort possesses Harry, and it hurts. Greatly. I think that Dumbledore explained that it was because Voldemort's rotten soul was incapable of assimilating Harry's pure soul, that Voldemort didn't understand the love and friendship etc that Harry has in his heart. But, I think it was a lie. Remember that in Deathly Hallows, while looking for information regarding Horcruxes, it is discovered that it is in fact possible to merge a soul fragment back, but that the process was extremely painful. Now then, if Voldemort tried to possess Harry, and Harry had a fragment of Voldemort's soul, I think that it could have been the true cause of Voldemort's pain: the fact of having his soul so close of another fragment. I think that Dumbledore knew that fact, but had to lie to Harry because it was inappropriate to let him know that he had one of Voldemort's soul fragments at the moment. Is that right? Or was it truly the pure soul of Harry's...

star wars - What "exactly" happens when someone turns to the Dark Side?

When I saw the original Star Wars saga as a kid, the concept of the Dark Side imprinted in me was quite simple. You did a bad thing, so you're a bad person so you go to the Dark Side and keep doing bad things. Now, obviously this doesn't hold true in reality. In my mind it is perfectly reasonable for Luke to kill the Emperor and Vader and then just flee the Death Star and rejoin the Alliance. After all they are at war, those are enemy officers that have captured him and are taunting him by threatening with death of all loved ones and the whole operation was intended to kill the Emperor anyway. The same would hold true for Anakin. He could have killed Mace Windu to save the Chancellor and Padme but that doesn't mean he's going to then go mad and kill all Jedis including children. It doesn't add up from a merely psychological point of view. He had a set of objectives and that made him want to keep the Chancellor alive (quite valid by the way, Mace Windu is quite clums...

star trek - Warning regarding forward saucer section in Nemesis?

In Star Trek: Nemesis , just before the Enterprise rams into the Scimitar, Picard sends a text message from his captain's chair arm pad to Troi — who is manning the helm in lieu of the crewman who was just blown out through what was once the view screen — indicating that she should put full impulse on standby. (Literally, if you watch the scene closely, Troi's console prefaces the order with "TXT MSG" !) My question is: Did Picard also somehow warn crew members in the forward saucer section about what was about to happen? The ramming of the Scimitar was a heat of the moment decision. Considering that he also resorted to calling the auto-destruct sequence shortly after (which ended up being offline), he probably was of the mindset that any losses would be acceptable in order to hault Shinzon's march to Earth. Still, I'm curious. Answer The original script indicates that he called for the crew to " brace for impact ". Whether that call (or the comma...