Skip to main content

true blood - How did a certain character survive post-Season 6 finale? [spoilers]


If you haven't watched up to S07 E02 yet, here be spoilers...


In the Season 6 finale,



Eric is shown bursting into flames after Jason kills Warlow, thereby negating Eric's ability to safely "daywalk" after ingesting Warlow's fairy blood.



We assume the worst, but then they are seen to have survived in season 7.


I am wondering how this character managed to achieve this, especially given that



from what I can recall of past episodes, combustion seems to be almost instantaneous and irretrievably fatal, when a vamp is exposed to full broad daylight (as opposed to the slow and gradual hissing/smoking effect observed when some natural light feeds into a room through a window, etc.).




As far as I can recall, no explanation for this was provided within the show and we are left to speculate how the heck they pulled it off.


Maybe my memory of "how it works" based on previous episodes is wrong, or maybe I simply missed whatever point where a reasonable explanation for this character's survival was given. Whatever the case, I'd appreciate some kind of answer if it's out there!


Please note, I am aware of the existence of this question, but the nature of my question is different: I'm not asking what happened to them, I'm trying to discern the means by which they actually got to that point.


For what it's worth, here's my best hypothesis for the moment:



It takes at least a few seconds before the vamp is fatally burned, and within those few seconds Eric was able to muster the strength and presence of mind to burrow into the snow and out of direct sunlight (though he must have had to dig in deep enough and fast enough that he was still sheltered even after immediately surrounding snow had melted from the heat of his body). Or, he could have dived under his sun-lounge, if the fabric was opaque enough to block out the light and didn't also catch alight. Another possible element of this is that even if there would NOT normally be a few seconds before the flames are fatal, maybe Warlow's blood was powerful enough that the fact he'd had it in his system for a few weeks/months etc. was sufficient to somewhat preserve his body for just that little bit longer before he would have been fatally affected.



Looking forward to hearing other people's theories - thanks! :)




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

harry potter - Do the Kwikspell courses work?

In Harry Potter we are introduced to Kwikspell course in The Chamber of Secrets (and never hear about it again). We see Filch taking courses, presumably by mail. The descriptions of Kwikspell make me think it is for people who are weak in magic (kind of like how Neville was supposed to be when he was younger), but had magic in them nonetheless. However, Ron's comments later in the chapter make it sound like it is mainly for Squibs to learn magic. However, it is strongly implied through out all the books that Squibs are essentially Muggles, and will never be able to do magic. How then is a Kwikspell course supposed to work? Do we have any information to know if it works at all? Is it a scam? An answer from any level of canon is welcome. Answer Kwikspell courses are (probably) useful to some wizards, but not to squibs. The Kwikspell course literature comes with two testimonials. Madam Z. Nettles of Topsham writes: ‘I had no memory for incantations and my potions were a family joke...

futurama - How much time is lost in 'Time Keeps on Slippin''

In time Keeps on Slippin' , Farnsworth creates a basketball team which he matures by abusing Chronitons. This leads to time skipping forward by random, but ever increasing amounts. How much time was skipped in this way? Answer Unfortunately, I don't think a good estimate can be made for this, for two reasons: Many of the time skips move forward by an indeterminate amount of time. At one point, the Professor mentions localized regions of space skipping forward much more than others. We then see two young boys on the street below complaining about having to pay social security, only to suddenly become senior citizens and start complaining about wanting their money. Thus, each individual could have experienced a different amount of time skippage.

languages - Do we ever see written English in the Star Wars films?

In Empire Strikes Back , we see a transcription of what R2's beeps and bloops mean, but it's not English (sorry for the low quality, it's from the 2004 DVDs): I'd assume it's what Basic looks like when written, but is there some point in the the Star Wars films we see written English instead? (This sort of spun off from a discussion in How do people understand astromech droids? .) Answer At one point there was English but it has been phased out in subsequent versions of the films. Chris Gould at DVD Active did a comparison of all versions of each of the Star Wars films, and in his comparison of Episode 4 , there are a couple of screenshots showing how the power gauge for the Death Star tractor beam was changed. I imagine there are probably more to be found in his other comparisons but I haven't got around to reading those yet.

Was the "pure soul" of Harry's what had really hurt Voldemort?

In the Order of the Phoenix, Voldemort possesses Harry, and it hurts. Greatly. I think that Dumbledore explained that it was because Voldemort's rotten soul was incapable of assimilating Harry's pure soul, that Voldemort didn't understand the love and friendship etc that Harry has in his heart. But, I think it was a lie. Remember that in Deathly Hallows, while looking for information regarding Horcruxes, it is discovered that it is in fact possible to merge a soul fragment back, but that the process was extremely painful. Now then, if Voldemort tried to possess Harry, and Harry had a fragment of Voldemort's soul, I think that it could have been the true cause of Voldemort's pain: the fact of having his soul so close of another fragment. I think that Dumbledore knew that fact, but had to lie to Harry because it was inappropriate to let him know that he had one of Voldemort's soul fragments at the moment. Is that right? Or was it truly the pure soul of Harry's...