Skip to main content

doctor who - Are there beings which have perfected hiding?


At the end of Listen, I got the feeling they wanted to write it off as an illusion of the Doctor, since Clara grabbed his ankle when he was a kid. So because of this there are no beings which perfected hiding, they just do not exist. Is this what they were going for? is it open to our own interpretation? or are there actually beings which have perfected hiding?


It just isn't really clear to me.


To me, those beings do exist since we saw the Doctor placing the chalk on the book where as it wasn't there anymore when he wanted to pick it up and listen was written on the board. We did not see the Doctor do it and the camera was on him the whole time right?


On a side note I was really on edge when I saw LISTEN on the board. A week long I humored my self thinking they might be real.



Answer



It’s deliberately ambiguous.


Every spooky situation in the episode has a rational explanation. For example:




  • The word “LISTEN” on the blackboard is written in the Doctor’s handwriting. He protests that “I couldn't have written it and forgotten, could I?”, but I’m not entirely convinced.

  • I explained the monster in Rupert’s bedroom in another question.

  • The banging on the door of the space station is just the pressure seal, not somebody outside the door.


And so on.


Maybe there are beings that have perfected hiding, but that doesn’t mean the Doctor has just found them, or any evidence for them. By their very nature, such creatures would leave no evidence of their existence, unless they chose to do so.


The only way to prove their existence is to find a situation in which the only explanation is creatures with perfect hiding, and we don’t have any of those. (And indeed, if we can find evidence that they exist, isn’t their ability to hide not quite as perfect as we might think?)


Of course, it is also impossible to disprove their existence. However hard you argue that there isn’t one standing right behind you, I could argue that it’s so good at hiding that you could never notice it standing there, and you have no way of proving me wrong. (If we take “perfect” to the extreme.)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

languages - Do we ever see written English in the Star Wars films?

In Empire Strikes Back , we see a transcription of what R2's beeps and bloops mean, but it's not English (sorry for the low quality, it's from the 2004 DVDs): I'd assume it's what Basic looks like when written, but is there some point in the the Star Wars films we see written English instead? (This sort of spun off from a discussion in How do people understand astromech droids? .) Answer At one point there was English but it has been phased out in subsequent versions of the films. Chris Gould at DVD Active did a comparison of all versions of each of the Star Wars films, and in his comparison of Episode 4 , there are a couple of screenshots showing how the power gauge for the Death Star tractor beam was changed. I imagine there are probably more to be found in his other comparisons but I haven't got around to reading those yet.

Was the "pure soul" of Harry's what had really hurt Voldemort?

In the Order of the Phoenix, Voldemort possesses Harry, and it hurts. Greatly. I think that Dumbledore explained that it was because Voldemort's rotten soul was incapable of assimilating Harry's pure soul, that Voldemort didn't understand the love and friendship etc that Harry has in his heart. But, I think it was a lie. Remember that in Deathly Hallows, while looking for information regarding Horcruxes, it is discovered that it is in fact possible to merge a soul fragment back, but that the process was extremely painful. Now then, if Voldemort tried to possess Harry, and Harry had a fragment of Voldemort's soul, I think that it could have been the true cause of Voldemort's pain: the fact of having his soul so close of another fragment. I think that Dumbledore knew that fact, but had to lie to Harry because it was inappropriate to let him know that he had one of Voldemort's soul fragments at the moment. Is that right? Or was it truly the pure soul of Harry's...

star wars - What "exactly" happens when someone turns to the Dark Side?

When I saw the original Star Wars saga as a kid, the concept of the Dark Side imprinted in me was quite simple. You did a bad thing, so you're a bad person so you go to the Dark Side and keep doing bad things. Now, obviously this doesn't hold true in reality. In my mind it is perfectly reasonable for Luke to kill the Emperor and Vader and then just flee the Death Star and rejoin the Alliance. After all they are at war, those are enemy officers that have captured him and are taunting him by threatening with death of all loved ones and the whole operation was intended to kill the Emperor anyway. The same would hold true for Anakin. He could have killed Mace Windu to save the Chancellor and Padme but that doesn't mean he's going to then go mad and kill all Jedis including children. It doesn't add up from a merely psychological point of view. He had a set of objectives and that made him want to keep the Chancellor alive (quite valid by the way, Mace Windu is quite clums...

star trek - Warning regarding forward saucer section in Nemesis?

In Star Trek: Nemesis , just before the Enterprise rams into the Scimitar, Picard sends a text message from his captain's chair arm pad to Troi — who is manning the helm in lieu of the crewman who was just blown out through what was once the view screen — indicating that she should put full impulse on standby. (Literally, if you watch the scene closely, Troi's console prefaces the order with "TXT MSG" !) My question is: Did Picard also somehow warn crew members in the forward saucer section about what was about to happen? The ramming of the Scimitar was a heat of the moment decision. Considering that he also resorted to calling the auto-destruct sequence shortly after (which ended up being offline), he probably was of the mindset that any losses would be acceptable in order to hault Shinzon's march to Earth. Still, I'm curious. Answer The original script indicates that he called for the crew to " brace for impact ". Whether that call (or the comma...