Skip to main content

Why are most of the main characters White/English in Game Of Thrones?


Okay, I was thinking about the series of Game of Thrones and all the battles and stuff, and I thought why aren't there any characters beside White/English characters that have main/important roles? Can you name any that are alive that are anything else beside White/English?


This is a short list of some of the main characters (all White/English):



  • Cersei - Queen and important political Lannister.


  • Jaime - Guy who is father to the late king and is King slayer.

  • Tyrion - Short guy in politics who is currently on the run(that's what the wikia told me).

  • Daenerys - Queen who is freeing people and dragon owner.


And the list goes on and on, why aren't there any characters other than Caucasian characters that are in the series?


I've read a lot of articles on the internet about this after Googling around, and none of the articles I read had any scientific evidence or research - it was just conjecture.


So, are there any actors/characters from racially diverse backgrounds? I'm hoping for canon evidence (pictures, links, quotes) from the book and/or TV show. In the case of actors, can you also list their role?




This is not intended as a racist question. I just want to know why, since the story takes place over a large area, there doesn't seem to be any diversity.



Answer




The reason most of the main characters -- those who come from Westeros -- are "caucasian" is that A Song of Ice and Fire is inspired by the English War of the Roses (Stark vs Lannister -- York vs Lancaster) and Hadrian's Wall in northern England.


Caucasian is a rather silly thing to call white people, though, since it does not only refer to white people. A more accurate term here is to ask why the main characters seem to be English, which is what they are.


As you may have noted, several things in the novels are traditionally English (well, not all of them are entirely English), like knights, lords, heraldry, jousting. And in the TV-show, they have taken it one step further and given a lot of different British accents to a lot of different people.


In southern Westeros you have Dorne, whose people are described somewhat like arabian/african and definitely not English. Dorne is ruled by house Martell, a key house in the ASOIAF story. There is a great description in one of the books, I seem to recall it was A Clash of Kings, but I might be wrong.


The people of Westeros are not all of the people in ASOIAF, however. You have the other continents: Essos (asia/middle east), Sothoryos (africa?) and Ulthos. And islands like the Summer Islands (african), Naath and Ibben. And I guess we can add the Iron Islands (vikings/nordic) to this list, though they are formally a part of Westeros. All of these place contain lots of people who are not British.


And then of course we have Valyria, whose sole surviving people are the Targaryens -- a race all of their own, that have light coloured hair (silver, platinum blond, etc) and eyes in strange colours (lilac, indigo, purple).


I could list the specifics of those places, but you have the links and the information, so go there and read instead. I will however list a few people who are not from Westeros who have roles in ASOIAF:



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

languages - Do we ever see written English in the Star Wars films?

In Empire Strikes Back , we see a transcription of what R2's beeps and bloops mean, but it's not English (sorry for the low quality, it's from the 2004 DVDs): I'd assume it's what Basic looks like when written, but is there some point in the the Star Wars films we see written English instead? (This sort of spun off from a discussion in How do people understand astromech droids? .) Answer At one point there was English but it has been phased out in subsequent versions of the films. Chris Gould at DVD Active did a comparison of all versions of each of the Star Wars films, and in his comparison of Episode 4 , there are a couple of screenshots showing how the power gauge for the Death Star tractor beam was changed. I imagine there are probably more to be found in his other comparisons but I haven't got around to reading those yet.

Was the "pure soul" of Harry's what had really hurt Voldemort?

In the Order of the Phoenix, Voldemort possesses Harry, and it hurts. Greatly. I think that Dumbledore explained that it was because Voldemort's rotten soul was incapable of assimilating Harry's pure soul, that Voldemort didn't understand the love and friendship etc that Harry has in his heart. But, I think it was a lie. Remember that in Deathly Hallows, while looking for information regarding Horcruxes, it is discovered that it is in fact possible to merge a soul fragment back, but that the process was extremely painful. Now then, if Voldemort tried to possess Harry, and Harry had a fragment of Voldemort's soul, I think that it could have been the true cause of Voldemort's pain: the fact of having his soul so close of another fragment. I think that Dumbledore knew that fact, but had to lie to Harry because it was inappropriate to let him know that he had one of Voldemort's soul fragments at the moment. Is that right? Or was it truly the pure soul of Harry's...

star wars - What "exactly" happens when someone turns to the Dark Side?

When I saw the original Star Wars saga as a kid, the concept of the Dark Side imprinted in me was quite simple. You did a bad thing, so you're a bad person so you go to the Dark Side and keep doing bad things. Now, obviously this doesn't hold true in reality. In my mind it is perfectly reasonable for Luke to kill the Emperor and Vader and then just flee the Death Star and rejoin the Alliance. After all they are at war, those are enemy officers that have captured him and are taunting him by threatening with death of all loved ones and the whole operation was intended to kill the Emperor anyway. The same would hold true for Anakin. He could have killed Mace Windu to save the Chancellor and Padme but that doesn't mean he's going to then go mad and kill all Jedis including children. It doesn't add up from a merely psychological point of view. He had a set of objectives and that made him want to keep the Chancellor alive (quite valid by the way, Mace Windu is quite clums...

star trek - Warning regarding forward saucer section in Nemesis?

In Star Trek: Nemesis , just before the Enterprise rams into the Scimitar, Picard sends a text message from his captain's chair arm pad to Troi — who is manning the helm in lieu of the crewman who was just blown out through what was once the view screen — indicating that she should put full impulse on standby. (Literally, if you watch the scene closely, Troi's console prefaces the order with "TXT MSG" !) My question is: Did Picard also somehow warn crew members in the forward saucer section about what was about to happen? The ramming of the Scimitar was a heat of the moment decision. Considering that he also resorted to calling the auto-destruct sequence shortly after (which ended up being offline), he probably was of the mindset that any losses would be acceptable in order to hault Shinzon's march to Earth. Still, I'm curious. Answer The original script indicates that he called for the crew to " brace for impact ". Whether that call (or the comma...