Skip to main content

story identification - A book about teenagers isolated in a school with robot teachers and no adults


I have been looking for this book but I'm clueless about the title or the author, and the google searches with the plot details I remember have been useless so far. But perhaps somebody here knows the book I'm talking about, so here it goes.


I read it after year 2000 and no later than 2008, but it could have been published decades earlier for all I know.


The plot was about a group of teenagers that lived in a school, in a kind of dystopian future. They had never been outside of the school building. They had no contact with the world outside, nor any idea of what was outside the school. There were no adults in the school and the teachers were robots. I remember something about recorded tape lessons. Perhaps the "teachers" were recorded video tapes, or the robots were basically playing lessons recorded in video tapes.



Somehow, at the end of the book, the robot-teacher breaks and the teenagers get out of the school to discover the world outside. And there is where the story ends, as far as I remember, the book never tells what do the teenagers actually find outside the school.


I think that the book was narrated in first person from the perspective of a boy, but I'm not sure.


Maybe there were some clues in the story about something very bad having happened long ago and the teenagers having been put in that school to save them from a disaster in the world outside and the rest of the civilization being gone after that disaster.


The book wasn't very long, probably not more than 200 pages, perhaps less. And I think it was addressed to a teenager audience.


This is all I can remember about that book. I know the details are very vague, but if by chance anybody knows the book I'm talking about, I'll be very grateful to be able to find it again.


Thanks!



Answer



Sounds a bit like E.G. Von Wald HEMEAC, except that at the end it's people from outside who come in rather than vice versa.



One of the outsiders asks "What do we do with them? They're nothing but living robots", and Hemeac feels a warm glow of pride at the compliment.




Does that ring a bell?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

languages - Do we ever see written English in the Star Wars films?

In Empire Strikes Back , we see a transcription of what R2's beeps and bloops mean, but it's not English (sorry for the low quality, it's from the 2004 DVDs): I'd assume it's what Basic looks like when written, but is there some point in the the Star Wars films we see written English instead? (This sort of spun off from a discussion in How do people understand astromech droids? .) Answer At one point there was English but it has been phased out in subsequent versions of the films. Chris Gould at DVD Active did a comparison of all versions of each of the Star Wars films, and in his comparison of Episode 4 , there are a couple of screenshots showing how the power gauge for the Death Star tractor beam was changed. I imagine there are probably more to be found in his other comparisons but I haven't got around to reading those yet.

Was the "pure soul" of Harry's what had really hurt Voldemort?

In the Order of the Phoenix, Voldemort possesses Harry, and it hurts. Greatly. I think that Dumbledore explained that it was because Voldemort's rotten soul was incapable of assimilating Harry's pure soul, that Voldemort didn't understand the love and friendship etc that Harry has in his heart. But, I think it was a lie. Remember that in Deathly Hallows, while looking for information regarding Horcruxes, it is discovered that it is in fact possible to merge a soul fragment back, but that the process was extremely painful. Now then, if Voldemort tried to possess Harry, and Harry had a fragment of Voldemort's soul, I think that it could have been the true cause of Voldemort's pain: the fact of having his soul so close of another fragment. I think that Dumbledore knew that fact, but had to lie to Harry because it was inappropriate to let him know that he had one of Voldemort's soul fragments at the moment. Is that right? Or was it truly the pure soul of Harry's...

star wars - What "exactly" happens when someone turns to the Dark Side?

When I saw the original Star Wars saga as a kid, the concept of the Dark Side imprinted in me was quite simple. You did a bad thing, so you're a bad person so you go to the Dark Side and keep doing bad things. Now, obviously this doesn't hold true in reality. In my mind it is perfectly reasonable for Luke to kill the Emperor and Vader and then just flee the Death Star and rejoin the Alliance. After all they are at war, those are enemy officers that have captured him and are taunting him by threatening with death of all loved ones and the whole operation was intended to kill the Emperor anyway. The same would hold true for Anakin. He could have killed Mace Windu to save the Chancellor and Padme but that doesn't mean he's going to then go mad and kill all Jedis including children. It doesn't add up from a merely psychological point of view. He had a set of objectives and that made him want to keep the Chancellor alive (quite valid by the way, Mace Windu is quite clums...

star trek - Warning regarding forward saucer section in Nemesis?

In Star Trek: Nemesis , just before the Enterprise rams into the Scimitar, Picard sends a text message from his captain's chair arm pad to Troi — who is manning the helm in lieu of the crewman who was just blown out through what was once the view screen — indicating that she should put full impulse on standby. (Literally, if you watch the scene closely, Troi's console prefaces the order with "TXT MSG" !) My question is: Did Picard also somehow warn crew members in the forward saucer section about what was about to happen? The ramming of the Scimitar was a heat of the moment decision. Considering that he also resorted to calling the auto-destruct sequence shortly after (which ended up being offline), he probably was of the mindset that any losses would be acceptable in order to hault Shinzon's march to Earth. Still, I'm curious. Answer The original script indicates that he called for the crew to " brace for impact ". Whether that call (or the comma...