Skip to main content

Falling space debris defence systems in the Star wars universe


I was recently watching Episode 3 and a few clone wars episodes, and I found myself thinking during the opening battle between the Republic and General Grievous' forces above Coruscant, on a planet so densely populated where potentially thousands of inhabitants can be killed from a drifting capital class ship with a decaying orbit during space battles what defenses are in place?


Is there any instances of some form of emergency services that tractor beam chunks of debris to safe landing places or repulsor towers that can slow or suspend it until it can be taken apart safely? Even disintegration lasers or emergency force field generators like the types deployed on Hoth as they must have the energy output capable of sustaining it. This IS the galactic capital so must have some advanced tech at its deposal. Even now in our own development humans have certain preventative measures for all types of threats and ways of tracking them, plus responses or fall back plans.



Answer



I would also assume that the reentry level and angle will play a factor; coming straight in would undoubtedly break apart a ship and burn up much of the smaller debris.


It's a good question and theory, BadMike; we get airplane crashes from malfunctions at least once a year, and you would think that a starship would have the same instances. I would assume that a planet such as Coruscant would have a system in place, much like how star ships have barriers to prevent air from escaping breaches in the hull and the opening of docks for ingress/egress of shuttles and smaller ships. A planetary-sized shield, I would think, would be much to massive and too expensive, but perhaps there is an orbiting ring of satallites that would help prevent it, if there were a mayday.


I would assume that since there is an ongoing battle above the skies of Coruscant, that any emergency system is either overworked, or targeted first by the Imperial forces. So if a ship went down and got sucked into the planet's gravity well, it no becomes a factor of math, physics, and blind old luck. I'd imagine that that flagship that Anikin and Obi-wan re-entered with probably scattered debris over a wide swath of city, though anything smaller than say a room was probably scorched to ashes and anything larger probably broke up and became less of a nuiscence.


I would assume that since that was more or less Coruscant's Battle of London, I would suspect that a good chunk of the population is either bunkered or shielded (like neighborhoods with a barrier on top) for such an eventuality, since I would think that the threat of a planetary bombardment would have the Republic thinking of its citizenry.


While there isn't a real canocal answer set up, I'm resorting to logic and history. A planetary system would be too much, but I could see area barriers being erected for the possibility of a burn-in.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

languages - Do we ever see written English in the Star Wars films?

In Empire Strikes Back , we see a transcription of what R2's beeps and bloops mean, but it's not English (sorry for the low quality, it's from the 2004 DVDs): I'd assume it's what Basic looks like when written, but is there some point in the the Star Wars films we see written English instead? (This sort of spun off from a discussion in How do people understand astromech droids? .) Answer At one point there was English but it has been phased out in subsequent versions of the films. Chris Gould at DVD Active did a comparison of all versions of each of the Star Wars films, and in his comparison of Episode 4 , there are a couple of screenshots showing how the power gauge for the Death Star tractor beam was changed. I imagine there are probably more to be found in his other comparisons but I haven't got around to reading those yet.

Was the "pure soul" of Harry's what had really hurt Voldemort?

In the Order of the Phoenix, Voldemort possesses Harry, and it hurts. Greatly. I think that Dumbledore explained that it was because Voldemort's rotten soul was incapable of assimilating Harry's pure soul, that Voldemort didn't understand the love and friendship etc that Harry has in his heart. But, I think it was a lie. Remember that in Deathly Hallows, while looking for information regarding Horcruxes, it is discovered that it is in fact possible to merge a soul fragment back, but that the process was extremely painful. Now then, if Voldemort tried to possess Harry, and Harry had a fragment of Voldemort's soul, I think that it could have been the true cause of Voldemort's pain: the fact of having his soul so close of another fragment. I think that Dumbledore knew that fact, but had to lie to Harry because it was inappropriate to let him know that he had one of Voldemort's soul fragments at the moment. Is that right? Or was it truly the pure soul of Harry's...

star wars - What "exactly" happens when someone turns to the Dark Side?

When I saw the original Star Wars saga as a kid, the concept of the Dark Side imprinted in me was quite simple. You did a bad thing, so you're a bad person so you go to the Dark Side and keep doing bad things. Now, obviously this doesn't hold true in reality. In my mind it is perfectly reasonable for Luke to kill the Emperor and Vader and then just flee the Death Star and rejoin the Alliance. After all they are at war, those are enemy officers that have captured him and are taunting him by threatening with death of all loved ones and the whole operation was intended to kill the Emperor anyway. The same would hold true for Anakin. He could have killed Mace Windu to save the Chancellor and Padme but that doesn't mean he's going to then go mad and kill all Jedis including children. It doesn't add up from a merely psychological point of view. He had a set of objectives and that made him want to keep the Chancellor alive (quite valid by the way, Mace Windu is quite clums...

star trek - Warning regarding forward saucer section in Nemesis?

In Star Trek: Nemesis , just before the Enterprise rams into the Scimitar, Picard sends a text message from his captain's chair arm pad to Troi — who is manning the helm in lieu of the crewman who was just blown out through what was once the view screen — indicating that she should put full impulse on standby. (Literally, if you watch the scene closely, Troi's console prefaces the order with "TXT MSG" !) My question is: Did Picard also somehow warn crew members in the forward saucer section about what was about to happen? The ramming of the Scimitar was a heat of the moment decision. Considering that he also resorted to calling the auto-destruct sequence shortly after (which ended up being offline), he probably was of the mindset that any losses would be acceptable in order to hault Shinzon's march to Earth. Still, I'm curious. Answer The original script indicates that he called for the crew to " brace for impact ". Whether that call (or the comma...