Skip to main content

magic - Did Harry Potter ever invent any spells?


Many of the greatest wizards in the Harry Potter universe invented their own spells.




  • Dumbledore, acknowledged as one of the greatest wizards of the age:




    "Examined him myself in Transfiguration and Charms when he did NEWTs ... Did things with a wand I'd never seen before..."
    -- Griselda Marchbanks, HP and the Order of the Phoenix, chapter 31: OWLs.





  • Snape, perhaps not one of the greatest but certainly a very talented student while at Hogwarts, and a master of the rare art of Occlumency in later life, invented numerous spells including Levicorpus, Liberacorpus, and Sectumsempra.




What about Harry Potter? After defeating the Dark Lord, he's surely seen as one of the greatest Aurors of his time, and he always topped his Defence Against the Dark Arts class (I think?)
Did he ever invent any of his own spells?



(I'd also be interested in Hermione, who's perhaps a more accomplished witch in everything other than Defence Against the Dark Arts, or indeed anyone in Harry's generation - students at Hogwarts during his time there - since I can't recall any mention of spells invented by any such people.)



Answer



Taking inspiration from Himarm, I can offer another half-answer. Fred and George's headless hats certainly use an innovative extension of an existing spell, if not a spell of their own creation:



'How do those hats work, then?' said Hermione, distracted from her homework and watching Fred and George. 'I mean, obviously it's some kind of Invisibility Spell, but it's rather clever to have extended the field of invisibility beyond the boundaries of the charmed object ... I'd imagine the charm wouldn't have a very long life though.'


Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix - p.477 - Bloomsbury - Chapter 24, Occlumency



To further expand on this part answer, it's clear that the invention of spells is, if not illegal, regulated to some degree:



'Mortlake was taken away for questioning about some extremely odd ferrets, but that's the Committee on Experimental Charms, thank goodness ...'



Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets - p.34 - Bloomsbury - Chapter 3, The Burrow



And, regarding Hermione in particular, I think it's worth taking note of her attitude to the Prince's spells:



'So you just decided to try out an unknown, handwritten incantation and see what would happen?'


'Why does it matter if it's handwritten?' said Harry, preferring not to answer the rest of the question.


'Because it's probably not Ministry of Magic-approved,' said Hermione. 'And also,' she added, as Harry and Ron rolled their eyes, 'because I'm starting to think this Prince character was a bit dodgy.'


Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince - p.226 - Bloomsbury - Chapter 12, Silver and Opals



Now, obviously, her attitude here is partly towards who wrote the spell, but also, it's clear that trying out someone else's spell, without knowing what it does is different to conducting your own experiments. It could be anything. It could be a prank. But, I think her reasoning is suggestive. "'It's probably not Ministry of Magic-approved.'"



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

languages - Do we ever see written English in the Star Wars films?

In Empire Strikes Back , we see a transcription of what R2's beeps and bloops mean, but it's not English (sorry for the low quality, it's from the 2004 DVDs): I'd assume it's what Basic looks like when written, but is there some point in the the Star Wars films we see written English instead? (This sort of spun off from a discussion in How do people understand astromech droids? .) Answer At one point there was English but it has been phased out in subsequent versions of the films. Chris Gould at DVD Active did a comparison of all versions of each of the Star Wars films, and in his comparison of Episode 4 , there are a couple of screenshots showing how the power gauge for the Death Star tractor beam was changed. I imagine there are probably more to be found in his other comparisons but I haven't got around to reading those yet.

Was the "pure soul" of Harry's what had really hurt Voldemort?

In the Order of the Phoenix, Voldemort possesses Harry, and it hurts. Greatly. I think that Dumbledore explained that it was because Voldemort's rotten soul was incapable of assimilating Harry's pure soul, that Voldemort didn't understand the love and friendship etc that Harry has in his heart. But, I think it was a lie. Remember that in Deathly Hallows, while looking for information regarding Horcruxes, it is discovered that it is in fact possible to merge a soul fragment back, but that the process was extremely painful. Now then, if Voldemort tried to possess Harry, and Harry had a fragment of Voldemort's soul, I think that it could have been the true cause of Voldemort's pain: the fact of having his soul so close of another fragment. I think that Dumbledore knew that fact, but had to lie to Harry because it was inappropriate to let him know that he had one of Voldemort's soul fragments at the moment. Is that right? Or was it truly the pure soul of Harry's...

star wars - What "exactly" happens when someone turns to the Dark Side?

When I saw the original Star Wars saga as a kid, the concept of the Dark Side imprinted in me was quite simple. You did a bad thing, so you're a bad person so you go to the Dark Side and keep doing bad things. Now, obviously this doesn't hold true in reality. In my mind it is perfectly reasonable for Luke to kill the Emperor and Vader and then just flee the Death Star and rejoin the Alliance. After all they are at war, those are enemy officers that have captured him and are taunting him by threatening with death of all loved ones and the whole operation was intended to kill the Emperor anyway. The same would hold true for Anakin. He could have killed Mace Windu to save the Chancellor and Padme but that doesn't mean he's going to then go mad and kill all Jedis including children. It doesn't add up from a merely psychological point of view. He had a set of objectives and that made him want to keep the Chancellor alive (quite valid by the way, Mace Windu is quite clums...

star trek - Warning regarding forward saucer section in Nemesis?

In Star Trek: Nemesis , just before the Enterprise rams into the Scimitar, Picard sends a text message from his captain's chair arm pad to Troi — who is manning the helm in lieu of the crewman who was just blown out through what was once the view screen — indicating that she should put full impulse on standby. (Literally, if you watch the scene closely, Troi's console prefaces the order with "TXT MSG" !) My question is: Did Picard also somehow warn crew members in the forward saucer section about what was about to happen? The ramming of the Scimitar was a heat of the moment decision. Considering that he also resorted to calling the auto-destruct sequence shortly after (which ended up being offline), he probably was of the mindset that any losses would be acceptable in order to hault Shinzon's march to Earth. Still, I'm curious. Answer The original script indicates that he called for the crew to " brace for impact ". Whether that call (or the comma...