Skip to main content

star wars - When did George Lucas compare midi-chlorians to mitochondria?


It is widely reported online that the following quote is attributed to George Lucas:




Midi-chlorians are a loose depiction of mitochondria, which are necessary components for cells to divide. They probably had something--which will come out someday--to do with the beginnings of life and how one cell decided to become two cells with a little help from this other little creature who came in, without whom life couldn't exist. And it's really a way of saying we have hundreds of little creatures who live on us, and without them, we all would die. There wouldn't be any life. They are necessary for us; we are necessary for them. Using them in the metaphor, saying society is the same way, says we all must get along with each other.



Yet I am unable to trace it back to where he said it.


I have also found several references to a 2005 Rolling Stone article that apparently has the exact quote, but the only article that I can find does not contain that quote.


The earliest I can find this quote is 2001 which many future pages link back to. It appears that it comes from an interview after the release of The Phantom Menace.


note: it will probably take someone 30 seconds to find it even though I spent 45 min looking but I am at the limit of the time (and perhaps skill?) that I can spend on this. Thank you



Answer



Found it.


The article was published in E! Online on May 11, 1999 following a press conference with George Lucas and contains a more extensive quote (reproduced in its entirety below). Note that the author has transcribed midi-chlorians incorrectly, referring to them as midichondrians.




Will you ever see the movie with an audience?


I probably will at some point, but it'll be later in the summer. It's inevitable that one wants to do that, see what real people think about it.


Is there something about you that exposure in the media has changed, 60 Minutes and so forth?


Again, I've been through these hoops a lot. Whenever a movie comes out, whether it's Star Wars or Howard the Duck, I end up on a lot of covers, and I end up with a lot of media presence for a period of time--with Howard the Duck, it was about 10 minutes, with Star Wars I expect it to be about three or four months. I'm assuming by fall things will have calmed down again, and I can go back to not having this much media attention. The great thing about living in San Francisco is it's a great cosmopolitan city, but you don't have a lot of people chasing you around all the time to get autographs and things. Every once in a while somebody comes up, but it's usually a little kid. It's a sophisticated environment. It's easier to live in.


I know you're saying Saturday-morning serial for kids, but I saw in this movie you're going from classic, heroic stuff into much more specifically Judeo-Christian ideas. Can you talk a little about where you see the meaning of the Star Wars movies going?


Well, I'm confused. I've been very conscious about not making the movies religion specific. When I brought the first Star Wars movie out, it seemed most religions used it to demonstrate their own beliefs--not only Judeo-Christian but also Eastern. And in many cases, people have said they're much more Eastern than Western in nature. I'm a little curious as to why you decided this one was a little more like that.


The ideas of virgin birth, the freeing of slaves...


Did you see Spartacus?


That's Western, too.


Yes, that's Western, too. Actually the same thing has happened in China and in India, especially. The issue of Immaculate Conception is a motif that runs through all religions. It's a motif that runs through all stories about the local deity or the local hero. It's the same thing with Hercules. Most heroes are conceived in an unusual way. And in this particular case, it's actually not Immaculate Conception, it's conception by metaphor, I would say, more than anything else. I'm taking the idea of symbiotic relationships and trying to demonstrate it in a more concrete way. Midichondrians are a loose depiction of mitochondria, which are necessary components for cells to divide. They probably had something--which will come out someday--to do with the beginnings of life and how one cell decided to become two cells with a little help from this other little creature who came in, without whom life couldn't exist. And it's really a way of saying we have hundreds of little creatures who live on us, and without them, we all would die. There wouldn't be any life.They are necessary for us; we are necessary for them. Using them in the metaphor, saying society is the same way, says we all must get along with each other. The planet is the same way. We must treat the other creatures on the planet with respect, otherwise the planet will die.



E! Online - From the Star Wars Flu to His Beloved Pit Droids, George Lucas Talks Phantom Phenom





The interview was also carried in the August edition of Starlog #265. Note that the quote stops with a period in the Starlog article (downloadable here) but continues with a comma and then the stuff about midi-chlorians in the article above. This wasn't a one-on-one interview but a press-conference (in which Starlog were in attendance) which would explain the difference in transcription.


enter image description here


enter image description here


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

languages - Do we ever see written English in the Star Wars films?

In Empire Strikes Back , we see a transcription of what R2's beeps and bloops mean, but it's not English (sorry for the low quality, it's from the 2004 DVDs): I'd assume it's what Basic looks like when written, but is there some point in the the Star Wars films we see written English instead? (This sort of spun off from a discussion in How do people understand astromech droids? .) Answer At one point there was English but it has been phased out in subsequent versions of the films. Chris Gould at DVD Active did a comparison of all versions of each of the Star Wars films, and in his comparison of Episode 4 , there are a couple of screenshots showing how the power gauge for the Death Star tractor beam was changed. I imagine there are probably more to be found in his other comparisons but I haven't got around to reading those yet.

Was the "pure soul" of Harry's what had really hurt Voldemort?

In the Order of the Phoenix, Voldemort possesses Harry, and it hurts. Greatly. I think that Dumbledore explained that it was because Voldemort's rotten soul was incapable of assimilating Harry's pure soul, that Voldemort didn't understand the love and friendship etc that Harry has in his heart. But, I think it was a lie. Remember that in Deathly Hallows, while looking for information regarding Horcruxes, it is discovered that it is in fact possible to merge a soul fragment back, but that the process was extremely painful. Now then, if Voldemort tried to possess Harry, and Harry had a fragment of Voldemort's soul, I think that it could have been the true cause of Voldemort's pain: the fact of having his soul so close of another fragment. I think that Dumbledore knew that fact, but had to lie to Harry because it was inappropriate to let him know that he had one of Voldemort's soul fragments at the moment. Is that right? Or was it truly the pure soul of Harry's...

star wars - What "exactly" happens when someone turns to the Dark Side?

When I saw the original Star Wars saga as a kid, the concept of the Dark Side imprinted in me was quite simple. You did a bad thing, so you're a bad person so you go to the Dark Side and keep doing bad things. Now, obviously this doesn't hold true in reality. In my mind it is perfectly reasonable for Luke to kill the Emperor and Vader and then just flee the Death Star and rejoin the Alliance. After all they are at war, those are enemy officers that have captured him and are taunting him by threatening with death of all loved ones and the whole operation was intended to kill the Emperor anyway. The same would hold true for Anakin. He could have killed Mace Windu to save the Chancellor and Padme but that doesn't mean he's going to then go mad and kill all Jedis including children. It doesn't add up from a merely psychological point of view. He had a set of objectives and that made him want to keep the Chancellor alive (quite valid by the way, Mace Windu is quite clums...

star trek - Warning regarding forward saucer section in Nemesis?

In Star Trek: Nemesis , just before the Enterprise rams into the Scimitar, Picard sends a text message from his captain's chair arm pad to Troi — who is manning the helm in lieu of the crewman who was just blown out through what was once the view screen — indicating that she should put full impulse on standby. (Literally, if you watch the scene closely, Troi's console prefaces the order with "TXT MSG" !) My question is: Did Picard also somehow warn crew members in the forward saucer section about what was about to happen? The ramming of the Scimitar was a heat of the moment decision. Considering that he also resorted to calling the auto-destruct sequence shortly after (which ended up being offline), he probably was of the mindset that any losses would be acceptable in order to hault Shinzon's march to Earth. Still, I'm curious. Answer The original script indicates that he called for the crew to " brace for impact ". Whether that call (or the comma...