Skip to main content

The Matrix, The Architect Can't Lie?


At the end of Revolutions, why does the Architect imply that because he is not human he is incapable of lying? Do any of the 'programs' ever lie?



Answer



I think he's just sassing her. It's not a comment on himself, it's a putdown on the humans vs machines, and humans past history of keeping their word. Like she might say:
"Architect, I hope you don't steal all the spoons because some kid might need to bend them".
"What am I, Australian?"
Now whether he can lie, I'm not sure. I just don't think that's the point of that scene.


EDITED TO ADD: I'VE read over The Matrix http://sfy.ru/?script=matrix_ts and Reloaded scripts http://www.theforbiddenknowledge.com/the_matrix_script/index02.htm (I'm staying away from Revolutions) and from I've read, every program seems to tell the truth, at least as much as they know with the knowledge they have at the time. There are times when it feels a bit sketchy, when machines philosophical views might be at odds with exact data/wording/definition about something. I'm thinking of when the Oracle says Neo isn't the One, or when Smith does his humans/virus monologue. Or at the very beginning of The Matrix when the Lieutenant says they can handle one little girl and Smith replies: No Lieutenant, your men are already dead. But I think it works in the spirit of telling the truth as they see it/from their point of view/how they phrase it.
The thing is, a lot of the program's dialogue seems to come in two flavours. Big infodumps about the Matrix like the Oracle or Architect, or philisophical viewpoints like Smith and the Merovingian, so it seems like in these situations you are only going to get the truth.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

languages - Do we ever see written English in the Star Wars films?

In Empire Strikes Back , we see a transcription of what R2's beeps and bloops mean, but it's not English (sorry for the low quality, it's from the 2004 DVDs): I'd assume it's what Basic looks like when written, but is there some point in the the Star Wars films we see written English instead? (This sort of spun off from a discussion in How do people understand astromech droids? .) Answer At one point there was English but it has been phased out in subsequent versions of the films. Chris Gould at DVD Active did a comparison of all versions of each of the Star Wars films, and in his comparison of Episode 4 , there are a couple of screenshots showing how the power gauge for the Death Star tractor beam was changed. I imagine there are probably more to be found in his other comparisons but I haven't got around to reading those yet.

Was the "pure soul" of Harry's what had really hurt Voldemort?

In the Order of the Phoenix, Voldemort possesses Harry, and it hurts. Greatly. I think that Dumbledore explained that it was because Voldemort's rotten soul was incapable of assimilating Harry's pure soul, that Voldemort didn't understand the love and friendship etc that Harry has in his heart. But, I think it was a lie. Remember that in Deathly Hallows, while looking for information regarding Horcruxes, it is discovered that it is in fact possible to merge a soul fragment back, but that the process was extremely painful. Now then, if Voldemort tried to possess Harry, and Harry had a fragment of Voldemort's soul, I think that it could have been the true cause of Voldemort's pain: the fact of having his soul so close of another fragment. I think that Dumbledore knew that fact, but had to lie to Harry because it was inappropriate to let him know that he had one of Voldemort's soul fragments at the moment. Is that right? Or was it truly the pure soul of Harry's...

star wars - What "exactly" happens when someone turns to the Dark Side?

When I saw the original Star Wars saga as a kid, the concept of the Dark Side imprinted in me was quite simple. You did a bad thing, so you're a bad person so you go to the Dark Side and keep doing bad things. Now, obviously this doesn't hold true in reality. In my mind it is perfectly reasonable for Luke to kill the Emperor and Vader and then just flee the Death Star and rejoin the Alliance. After all they are at war, those are enemy officers that have captured him and are taunting him by threatening with death of all loved ones and the whole operation was intended to kill the Emperor anyway. The same would hold true for Anakin. He could have killed Mace Windu to save the Chancellor and Padme but that doesn't mean he's going to then go mad and kill all Jedis including children. It doesn't add up from a merely psychological point of view. He had a set of objectives and that made him want to keep the Chancellor alive (quite valid by the way, Mace Windu is quite clums...

star trek - Warning regarding forward saucer section in Nemesis?

In Star Trek: Nemesis , just before the Enterprise rams into the Scimitar, Picard sends a text message from his captain's chair arm pad to Troi — who is manning the helm in lieu of the crewman who was just blown out through what was once the view screen — indicating that she should put full impulse on standby. (Literally, if you watch the scene closely, Troi's console prefaces the order with "TXT MSG" !) My question is: Did Picard also somehow warn crew members in the forward saucer section about what was about to happen? The ramming of the Scimitar was a heat of the moment decision. Considering that he also resorted to calling the auto-destruct sequence shortly after (which ended up being offline), he probably was of the mindset that any losses would be acceptable in order to hault Shinzon's march to Earth. Still, I'm curious. Answer The original script indicates that he called for the crew to " brace for impact ". Whether that call (or the comma...