Skip to main content

story identification - 80s book similar to Narnia but with a more Celt feel, allusions to Finn MacCool and eating "the salmon of wisdom"


So, I read this book in the mid-nineties (no idea if it was new or not). I can't recall the title (obviously), but relevant plot points:


It starts off like the Narnia series, where a young (tween) sister and brother are sent to live with relatives in a country estate.


If I recall correctly, the girl was older, and the boy was more of a child, she was closer to being a teen (or actually being a teen). I remember specifically that he was referred to as having baby fat still, and being more childish than her.


They discover salmon swimming in the pool, and there was an old woman. Turns out she was a druid who had turned a man into a salmon for (reasons). Both he and her are from the ancient past (you know, when druids were more common), and the guy starts to resemble the famous Irish hero Finn MacCool. I am pretty sure he was called Finn also, but I don't think they ever gave him a last name in the book, so I'm pretty sure it's not the eponymous book "Finn MacCool" which I saw later on.



The druid takes the kids and young man back in time with her, and they live in the woods for a while having adventures. I don't recall all of them, but I do recall that Finn had to catch and eat the "salmon of wisdom" or similar, and burned his thumb in doing so, which made him think he had to stick his thumb in his mouth to think.


Eventually the kids were returned to their own time, leaner and harder and more tan, and the boy faced up to some bullies and didn't let himself get pushed around (evidence of his character development, I suppose).


I thought it'd be a fun book for my daughter, but can't for the life of me remember the name to find it.



Answer




book cover picturing a boy with a sword, faces spitting fire and a warthog


This sounds like The Wizard Children of Finn, by Mary Tannen. It was published in 1981, so the time frame is right. It has the same basic plot: girl and her brother go back in time to the age of Finn. The boy is not named Finn, though, but Bran, though the legendary Finn does show up in the story.


The ages match your recollection: the girl is older, and the boy is younger:



Fiona McCool, age eleven, was kneeling on the worn silk-covered loveseat on the front stair landing, which was the best place in the house to watch anyone coming or going. Not only could you get a perfect view, but Fiona had noted that if you stayed on the loveseat, which was two feet away from the window, you couldn’t be seen by anyone standing in the driveway below.



Beside Fiona was Bran McCool, age eight, Fiona’s brother and for the moment her prisoner, for she was holding him tightly by the wrist, and if he tried to move, she gouged her fingernails into his flesh.



The bit about baby fat:



Bran stood before the fire. With everyone sitting down, he looked much taller than he really was. Hiking through the woods for a couple of weeks had gotten rid of the baby fat. His face was harder, more boy like.



There's a druid who turns someone into a salmon:



“I think,” said Bran, “the first thing we gotta do is find that kid Bovmall turned into a fish.” “


Yeah,” said Fiona. “At least he will believe us. That’s one more on our side. Jeezle, Bran, why didn’t you think of it before? That boy might be salmon croquettes by now! ”




And so forth.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

languages - Do we ever see written English in the Star Wars films?

In Empire Strikes Back , we see a transcription of what R2's beeps and bloops mean, but it's not English (sorry for the low quality, it's from the 2004 DVDs): I'd assume it's what Basic looks like when written, but is there some point in the the Star Wars films we see written English instead? (This sort of spun off from a discussion in How do people understand astromech droids? .) Answer At one point there was English but it has been phased out in subsequent versions of the films. Chris Gould at DVD Active did a comparison of all versions of each of the Star Wars films, and in his comparison of Episode 4 , there are a couple of screenshots showing how the power gauge for the Death Star tractor beam was changed. I imagine there are probably more to be found in his other comparisons but I haven't got around to reading those yet.

Was the "pure soul" of Harry's what had really hurt Voldemort?

In the Order of the Phoenix, Voldemort possesses Harry, and it hurts. Greatly. I think that Dumbledore explained that it was because Voldemort's rotten soul was incapable of assimilating Harry's pure soul, that Voldemort didn't understand the love and friendship etc that Harry has in his heart. But, I think it was a lie. Remember that in Deathly Hallows, while looking for information regarding Horcruxes, it is discovered that it is in fact possible to merge a soul fragment back, but that the process was extremely painful. Now then, if Voldemort tried to possess Harry, and Harry had a fragment of Voldemort's soul, I think that it could have been the true cause of Voldemort's pain: the fact of having his soul so close of another fragment. I think that Dumbledore knew that fact, but had to lie to Harry because it was inappropriate to let him know that he had one of Voldemort's soul fragments at the moment. Is that right? Or was it truly the pure soul of Harry's...

star wars - What "exactly" happens when someone turns to the Dark Side?

When I saw the original Star Wars saga as a kid, the concept of the Dark Side imprinted in me was quite simple. You did a bad thing, so you're a bad person so you go to the Dark Side and keep doing bad things. Now, obviously this doesn't hold true in reality. In my mind it is perfectly reasonable for Luke to kill the Emperor and Vader and then just flee the Death Star and rejoin the Alliance. After all they are at war, those are enemy officers that have captured him and are taunting him by threatening with death of all loved ones and the whole operation was intended to kill the Emperor anyway. The same would hold true for Anakin. He could have killed Mace Windu to save the Chancellor and Padme but that doesn't mean he's going to then go mad and kill all Jedis including children. It doesn't add up from a merely psychological point of view. He had a set of objectives and that made him want to keep the Chancellor alive (quite valid by the way, Mace Windu is quite clums...

star trek - Warning regarding forward saucer section in Nemesis?

In Star Trek: Nemesis , just before the Enterprise rams into the Scimitar, Picard sends a text message from his captain's chair arm pad to Troi — who is manning the helm in lieu of the crewman who was just blown out through what was once the view screen — indicating that she should put full impulse on standby. (Literally, if you watch the scene closely, Troi's console prefaces the order with "TXT MSG" !) My question is: Did Picard also somehow warn crew members in the forward saucer section about what was about to happen? The ramming of the Scimitar was a heat of the moment decision. Considering that he also resorted to calling the auto-destruct sequence shortly after (which ended up being offline), he probably was of the mindset that any losses would be acceptable in order to hault Shinzon's march to Earth. Still, I'm curious. Answer The original script indicates that he called for the crew to " brace for impact ". Whether that call (or the comma...