Skip to main content

star trek - How does the baby changeling transfer itself into Odo?


After reading my question if there's an obvious answer in a later episode, then just let me know and I'll delete my question.


DS9 "Begotten":



QUARK: A Yridian I've been dealing with sold me something that might interest you.


ODO: I don't think so.


QUARK: You don't even know what it is.


ODO: I know I don't want it.


QUARK: In that case, can you tell me how to get in touch with the Founders? I know they'll want it.



ODO: What are you talking about? (Quark takes out an elaborate bottle of blue goo.)


QUARK: It's a changeling. Or it was, anyway. Since it's dead I'll let you have it for five slips of latinum.



There's no explanation of where the people who sold it to Quark got it from.



ODO: It's not going anywhere, Doctor. It doesn't know how. It's just a baby.


(After the opening credits, the blue goo is on top of a pulsing devise, and just a bit is now orange.)


SISKO: A baby changeling?


ODO: Centuries ago, my people sent a hundred of us out into the galaxy so we could learn about other races. When I was found, I looked very much like this.




So Odo implies that this was a custom done in the past, centuries ago. I'm not sure how the life cycle of a changeling works, but I assume if it's a "baby", it's not centuries old.



SISKO: Why would the Founders send such helpless creatures out into space?


ODO: To find out if the species they encountered posed any threat. What better way to gauge another race than to see how it treats the weak and vulnerable?



So Odo answers that it was to test other cultures, but again it was something that was practiced centuries ago.



ODO: Now if I were you, I'd hold this shape. Otherwise you'll be in for a little shock.


(Odo lifts off the cylinder and baby relaxes.)


ODO: Wait a minute.



(Baby goes back to being a cylinder.)



So clearly we see that it can change shapes on its own.



COMPUTER: The lifeform being monitored is displaying biomimetic fluctuations beyond stated parameters.


ODO: Have Doctor Mora meet me in the science lab.



Although Dr. Bashir earlier said the baby was stable, now it all of a sudden is not, and begins to deteriorate fast.



(Mora hands Odo the baby's cylinder. It's deep green now. Odo pours it out into his hand.)



ODO: Please, don't die. There's so much I want to show you. I was going to teach you how to become a Tarkalean hawk, remember?


(Baby soaks into Odo's hands.)


MORA: What happened? Where did it go?


BASHIR: It somehow integrated itself into Odo's body (Odo staggers.)



And now it gets absorbed into Odo's body and gives Odo his shape shifting power back again.


From an earlier episode DS9 "Things Past":



BASHIR: Well, it seems you're not as solid as you think. When I ran a neurochemical scan of your brain, I found residual traces of morphogenic enzymes which I've only detected before in changelings.


ODO: When the plasma storm hit the runabout it activated the enzymes and initiated a telepathic response.




So we see from this episode that Odo still has something of his changeling past still inside of him after the founders took his powers away.


Now that I've framed the question I'd like to be specific about what I'm asking.


Is the baby Changeling actually a changeling or was it something else sent by the Changelings to give Odo his power back? If it's just some kind of 'jump start' to give Odo his powers back then just tell me how you know that and that's good enough. If it's actually another changeling how does it actually transform Odo entirely, giving him his changeling "matrix" back, being that it was sick and dying, was much smaller, and was undoing what an entire lake of changelings did to Odo.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

languages - Do we ever see written English in the Star Wars films?

In Empire Strikes Back , we see a transcription of what R2's beeps and bloops mean, but it's not English (sorry for the low quality, it's from the 2004 DVDs): I'd assume it's what Basic looks like when written, but is there some point in the the Star Wars films we see written English instead? (This sort of spun off from a discussion in How do people understand astromech droids? .) Answer At one point there was English but it has been phased out in subsequent versions of the films. Chris Gould at DVD Active did a comparison of all versions of each of the Star Wars films, and in his comparison of Episode 4 , there are a couple of screenshots showing how the power gauge for the Death Star tractor beam was changed. I imagine there are probably more to be found in his other comparisons but I haven't got around to reading those yet.

Was the "pure soul" of Harry's what had really hurt Voldemort?

In the Order of the Phoenix, Voldemort possesses Harry, and it hurts. Greatly. I think that Dumbledore explained that it was because Voldemort's rotten soul was incapable of assimilating Harry's pure soul, that Voldemort didn't understand the love and friendship etc that Harry has in his heart. But, I think it was a lie. Remember that in Deathly Hallows, while looking for information regarding Horcruxes, it is discovered that it is in fact possible to merge a soul fragment back, but that the process was extremely painful. Now then, if Voldemort tried to possess Harry, and Harry had a fragment of Voldemort's soul, I think that it could have been the true cause of Voldemort's pain: the fact of having his soul so close of another fragment. I think that Dumbledore knew that fact, but had to lie to Harry because it was inappropriate to let him know that he had one of Voldemort's soul fragments at the moment. Is that right? Or was it truly the pure soul of Harry's...

star wars - What "exactly" happens when someone turns to the Dark Side?

When I saw the original Star Wars saga as a kid, the concept of the Dark Side imprinted in me was quite simple. You did a bad thing, so you're a bad person so you go to the Dark Side and keep doing bad things. Now, obviously this doesn't hold true in reality. In my mind it is perfectly reasonable for Luke to kill the Emperor and Vader and then just flee the Death Star and rejoin the Alliance. After all they are at war, those are enemy officers that have captured him and are taunting him by threatening with death of all loved ones and the whole operation was intended to kill the Emperor anyway. The same would hold true for Anakin. He could have killed Mace Windu to save the Chancellor and Padme but that doesn't mean he's going to then go mad and kill all Jedis including children. It doesn't add up from a merely psychological point of view. He had a set of objectives and that made him want to keep the Chancellor alive (quite valid by the way, Mace Windu is quite clums...

star trek - Warning regarding forward saucer section in Nemesis?

In Star Trek: Nemesis , just before the Enterprise rams into the Scimitar, Picard sends a text message from his captain's chair arm pad to Troi — who is manning the helm in lieu of the crewman who was just blown out through what was once the view screen — indicating that she should put full impulse on standby. (Literally, if you watch the scene closely, Troi's console prefaces the order with "TXT MSG" !) My question is: Did Picard also somehow warn crew members in the forward saucer section about what was about to happen? The ramming of the Scimitar was a heat of the moment decision. Considering that he also resorted to calling the auto-destruct sequence shortly after (which ended up being offline), he probably was of the mindset that any losses would be acceptable in order to hault Shinzon's march to Earth. Still, I'm curious. Answer The original script indicates that he called for the crew to " brace for impact ". Whether that call (or the comma...