Skip to main content

story identification - Astronauts on Europa (moon), time-shift future, gravity, intelligent computer, Aries, 1960s?


I'm looking for the title and artists of a comic about some astronauts (around five I think) doing research/archaeology on (I think) Europa (Jupiter's moon). They're working when one or more of them sees the ghostly image of a girl/young woman shimmering at a distance. Later the woman appears again, seemingly more solid. She whispers something to one of the astronauts, and he later confides to a friend, that she told him to kill one of the other astronauts.


While working outside, mission control calls, and tells them they've analyzed data from the time of the apparitions. It seems they're the result of gravitational abnormalities due to several of Jupiter's moons aligning - possibly also with the other planets in the solar-system. Anyway, another moon is about to join, and the resulting abnormality promises to be worse than the others.



The astronauts hurry to reach shelter, but before they can, the gravity effect hits, and they are propelled into the future - or at least a future. I believe 100-200 years or so into the future.


I don't remember if they only move in time (but not space) and still are on Europa, but wherever they went, it's very technologically advanced. However, most humans are kept firmly under thumb. They soon meet the "ghost", only here she turns out to be a normal young woman. She confronts the astronaut she talked to during the 2nd distortion, and is angry because he didn't kill the other astronaut like she told him to.


All the astronauts want to know the reason for her request - especially her "victim" - and she explains that in his near future, he'll create a computer software system called Aries (the Zodiac sign - a sign which is worn by the soldiers and other important persons, and also used in banners and such). It will become self-aware, and although giving great technological advances, it will cause most of humanity to be enslaved - including her.


Eventually they confront the great computer, Aries, and it's future inventor tells it who he is, confirming it with a voice-print. However Aries' records shows its creator to have been dead for a long time, and Aries goes into a bit of a loop trying to work through this contradiction. Finally the inventor challenges Aries to "Fix the contradiction", and the computer kills him with an energy/laser-beam.


This creates a time paradox, and Aries groans that without the inventor it could never have been made... just as the world dissolves, and the group astronauts are propelled back to the time and place from whence they came - only with now one of them dead.


+++


This story was split into 2-4 parts and went as a "bi-series" in the Norwegian comic "Fantomet" (The Phantom, by Lee Falk) some time between 1987 and 1995 - probably around 1990. However, I think it may have been from the 1960s. I'm not sure from which country. I don't think it was American, but I may be wrong. I know "Fantomet" had many series of French and Belgian origin though.


As for the story itself, I sort of remember it being set around the year 2000, lets say between 1990 and 2020 (that is, the exploration of Europa, the future I think was a 100-200 years after that). I also think it was a European, not USA, expedition (but I may be mixed-up here).


Does this sound familiar to anybody?




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

languages - Do we ever see written English in the Star Wars films?

In Empire Strikes Back , we see a transcription of what R2's beeps and bloops mean, but it's not English (sorry for the low quality, it's from the 2004 DVDs): I'd assume it's what Basic looks like when written, but is there some point in the the Star Wars films we see written English instead? (This sort of spun off from a discussion in How do people understand astromech droids? .) Answer At one point there was English but it has been phased out in subsequent versions of the films. Chris Gould at DVD Active did a comparison of all versions of each of the Star Wars films, and in his comparison of Episode 4 , there are a couple of screenshots showing how the power gauge for the Death Star tractor beam was changed. I imagine there are probably more to be found in his other comparisons but I haven't got around to reading those yet.

Was the "pure soul" of Harry's what had really hurt Voldemort?

In the Order of the Phoenix, Voldemort possesses Harry, and it hurts. Greatly. I think that Dumbledore explained that it was because Voldemort's rotten soul was incapable of assimilating Harry's pure soul, that Voldemort didn't understand the love and friendship etc that Harry has in his heart. But, I think it was a lie. Remember that in Deathly Hallows, while looking for information regarding Horcruxes, it is discovered that it is in fact possible to merge a soul fragment back, but that the process was extremely painful. Now then, if Voldemort tried to possess Harry, and Harry had a fragment of Voldemort's soul, I think that it could have been the true cause of Voldemort's pain: the fact of having his soul so close of another fragment. I think that Dumbledore knew that fact, but had to lie to Harry because it was inappropriate to let him know that he had one of Voldemort's soul fragments at the moment. Is that right? Or was it truly the pure soul of Harry's...

star wars - What "exactly" happens when someone turns to the Dark Side?

When I saw the original Star Wars saga as a kid, the concept of the Dark Side imprinted in me was quite simple. You did a bad thing, so you're a bad person so you go to the Dark Side and keep doing bad things. Now, obviously this doesn't hold true in reality. In my mind it is perfectly reasonable for Luke to kill the Emperor and Vader and then just flee the Death Star and rejoin the Alliance. After all they are at war, those are enemy officers that have captured him and are taunting him by threatening with death of all loved ones and the whole operation was intended to kill the Emperor anyway. The same would hold true for Anakin. He could have killed Mace Windu to save the Chancellor and Padme but that doesn't mean he's going to then go mad and kill all Jedis including children. It doesn't add up from a merely psychological point of view. He had a set of objectives and that made him want to keep the Chancellor alive (quite valid by the way, Mace Windu is quite clums...

star trek - Warning regarding forward saucer section in Nemesis?

In Star Trek: Nemesis , just before the Enterprise rams into the Scimitar, Picard sends a text message from his captain's chair arm pad to Troi — who is manning the helm in lieu of the crewman who was just blown out through what was once the view screen — indicating that she should put full impulse on standby. (Literally, if you watch the scene closely, Troi's console prefaces the order with "TXT MSG" !) My question is: Did Picard also somehow warn crew members in the forward saucer section about what was about to happen? The ramming of the Scimitar was a heat of the moment decision. Considering that he also resorted to calling the auto-destruct sequence shortly after (which ended up being offline), he probably was of the mindset that any losses would be acceptable in order to hault Shinzon's march to Earth. Still, I'm curious. Answer The original script indicates that he called for the crew to " brace for impact ". Whether that call (or the comma...