I am looking for a short story about a group of space explorers aboard an FTL-capable ship. The very first jump takes them near a dying star, so they have to flee immediately. On their way back to earth, one scientist theorizes that the odds of them arriving at the exact time when that star would turn into a nova are so astronomically low that they must assume that it was their arrival that triggered the death of the star, which means they cannot go near Earth. They decide to drop out of hyperspace further away, and travel towards Earth at sub-light speeds, even if it takes months. On their way a scientist wonders whether it is only the arrival of an FTL drive that has such effects, or if the departure causes the same, and that is when they nova-like readings coming from the direction of our own solar system. At least this is what I remember. Any ideas?
In Empire Strikes Back , we see a transcription of what R2's beeps and bloops mean, but it's not English (sorry for the low quality, it's from the 2004 DVDs): I'd assume it's what Basic looks like when written, but is there some point in the the Star Wars films we see written English instead? (This sort of spun off from a discussion in How do people understand astromech droids? .) Answer At one point there was English but it has been phased out in subsequent versions of the films. Chris Gould at DVD Active did a comparison of all versions of each of the Star Wars films, and in his comparison of Episode 4 , there are a couple of screenshots showing how the power gauge for the Death Star tractor beam was changed. I imagine there are probably more to be found in his other comparisons but I haven't got around to reading those yet.
Comments
Post a Comment