Skip to main content

story identification - Space Opera Novel Series ID - Probably Read in 2003-2010


I'm looking for the name of a series of space opera novels I read some time ago, probably between 2003 and 2010.



  • It may have been published quite a few years before I read it, I don't think it was new at the time.


  • I borrowed the novels from the local library, but I can't find them in its catalogue.

  • I think the covers were fairly dark and plain, though there may have been some artwork on them.

  • There was a totalitarian empire that controlled most planets, possibly ruled by a queen.

  • There was no mention of Earth, the solar system or other real planets, the setting was completely fictional.

  • There were people with psychic/psionic powers, referred to as something like "psi". These people were second-class citizens or slaves.

  • Spaceships were used to travel between worlds. I'm not sure what kind of FTL technology they had, if any.

  • Beyond the edge of the empire was some kind of "dark space", where there was no light.

  • There were some horror themes: When travelling in dark space in one of the novels, a ships crew experienced strange thoughts and hallucinations. I remember finding this quite scary at the time.


Does anyone know which series this could be?



This isn't a duplicate of this question, since the two questions are about different parts of the same series (the first and second episodes).



Answer



You've summarised fairly accurately the background of the Deathstalker novels, by Simon R Green.


They're set in the far future; the empire of man is huge and old, ruled over by the Empress Lionstone. There's no mention of Earth that I can recall.


There are citizens with psi powers known as espers, who are treated as second class citizens at best; slaves at worst. There's also a zone of stars, extinguished in a long-ago war, called the Darkvoid; from where some nasty aliens appear to attack the Empire.


The first book in the series is Deathstalker. There are a total of five in the main series, another three in a trilogy that is set a couple of decades later, and three shorter, prequel novels , too.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

languages - Do we ever see written English in the Star Wars films?

In Empire Strikes Back , we see a transcription of what R2's beeps and bloops mean, but it's not English (sorry for the low quality, it's from the 2004 DVDs): I'd assume it's what Basic looks like when written, but is there some point in the the Star Wars films we see written English instead? (This sort of spun off from a discussion in How do people understand astromech droids? .) Answer At one point there was English but it has been phased out in subsequent versions of the films. Chris Gould at DVD Active did a comparison of all versions of each of the Star Wars films, and in his comparison of Episode 4 , there are a couple of screenshots showing how the power gauge for the Death Star tractor beam was changed. I imagine there are probably more to be found in his other comparisons but I haven't got around to reading those yet.

Was the "pure soul" of Harry's what had really hurt Voldemort?

In the Order of the Phoenix, Voldemort possesses Harry, and it hurts. Greatly. I think that Dumbledore explained that it was because Voldemort's rotten soul was incapable of assimilating Harry's pure soul, that Voldemort didn't understand the love and friendship etc that Harry has in his heart. But, I think it was a lie. Remember that in Deathly Hallows, while looking for information regarding Horcruxes, it is discovered that it is in fact possible to merge a soul fragment back, but that the process was extremely painful. Now then, if Voldemort tried to possess Harry, and Harry had a fragment of Voldemort's soul, I think that it could have been the true cause of Voldemort's pain: the fact of having his soul so close of another fragment. I think that Dumbledore knew that fact, but had to lie to Harry because it was inappropriate to let him know that he had one of Voldemort's soul fragments at the moment. Is that right? Or was it truly the pure soul of Harry's...

star wars - What "exactly" happens when someone turns to the Dark Side?

When I saw the original Star Wars saga as a kid, the concept of the Dark Side imprinted in me was quite simple. You did a bad thing, so you're a bad person so you go to the Dark Side and keep doing bad things. Now, obviously this doesn't hold true in reality. In my mind it is perfectly reasonable for Luke to kill the Emperor and Vader and then just flee the Death Star and rejoin the Alliance. After all they are at war, those are enemy officers that have captured him and are taunting him by threatening with death of all loved ones and the whole operation was intended to kill the Emperor anyway. The same would hold true for Anakin. He could have killed Mace Windu to save the Chancellor and Padme but that doesn't mean he's going to then go mad and kill all Jedis including children. It doesn't add up from a merely psychological point of view. He had a set of objectives and that made him want to keep the Chancellor alive (quite valid by the way, Mace Windu is quite clums...

star trek - Warning regarding forward saucer section in Nemesis?

In Star Trek: Nemesis , just before the Enterprise rams into the Scimitar, Picard sends a text message from his captain's chair arm pad to Troi — who is manning the helm in lieu of the crewman who was just blown out through what was once the view screen — indicating that she should put full impulse on standby. (Literally, if you watch the scene closely, Troi's console prefaces the order with "TXT MSG" !) My question is: Did Picard also somehow warn crew members in the forward saucer section about what was about to happen? The ramming of the Scimitar was a heat of the moment decision. Considering that he also resorted to calling the auto-destruct sequence shortly after (which ended up being offline), he probably was of the mindset that any losses would be acceptable in order to hault Shinzon's march to Earth. Still, I'm curious. Answer The original script indicates that he called for the crew to " brace for impact ". Whether that call (or the comma...