Skip to main content

story identification - Man can do magic by writing spells on the inside of his mind


I'm trying to identify a fantasy fiction (possibly epic fantasy) book I read several years ago, although I'm sure it was out well before then. It may or may not be in a series, but it was a decently thick hardcover book I found in the adult section of my local library. The book was set in medieval times (there were castles and a lord's solar), and the main character is able to perform magic by closing his eyes and concentrating on emptying his mind, kind of like a blackboard, and then mentally writing out the spells or symbols. I think he learns to do this during the book.


I seem to recall part of the plot being an effort to try to free somebody (a woman, perhaps) from an enemy's castle, but I'm not completely sure about that. I do remember the characters ride horses and fight with swords and there were also archers at some point: It's not just magic. I realize this is pretty vague.



Answer




Sounds like one of Gordon Dickson's Dragon series. In the second book of the series, The Dragon Knight, protagonist Jim is taught use of his magical power by the wizard Carolinus. This turns out to involve clearing his mind, treating the inside of his head as a blackboard, and 'writing' spells on it in a simple symbolic pseudocode-like language.


For example, Jim's most commonly used spell ("turn into a dragon") is


NOTSHAPE ME -> DRAGON

The language isn't a true object-oriented magic language (though it made me want one); it's a channel for his thoughts. He often creates new and silly object nouns on the fly, as when looking out for magical traps from the bottom of an enemy's tower:


ME/SEE -> MAGIC WORKSABOVEINRED

(The effects are consistent with the spell cast, however. Later Jim is caught out by a magical trap beneath him - specifying 'above' was a mistake.)


The solar you mentioned is in Jim's castle, which he takes from an evil knight in the first book, The Dragon and the George. The woman he rescues would probably be his wife Angie, whom he rescues from evil wizards in a dark tower at the end of that book. (He is not yet a wizard at this time, though he is a dragon for most of the first book - that being the premise.)


Nearer the end of the series Dickson dumped this system and let Jim move on to the because-I-say-so magic used throughout by his mentor.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

languages - Do we ever see written English in the Star Wars films?

In Empire Strikes Back , we see a transcription of what R2's beeps and bloops mean, but it's not English (sorry for the low quality, it's from the 2004 DVDs): I'd assume it's what Basic looks like when written, but is there some point in the the Star Wars films we see written English instead? (This sort of spun off from a discussion in How do people understand astromech droids? .) Answer At one point there was English but it has been phased out in subsequent versions of the films. Chris Gould at DVD Active did a comparison of all versions of each of the Star Wars films, and in his comparison of Episode 4 , there are a couple of screenshots showing how the power gauge for the Death Star tractor beam was changed. I imagine there are probably more to be found in his other comparisons but I haven't got around to reading those yet.

Was the "pure soul" of Harry's what had really hurt Voldemort?

In the Order of the Phoenix, Voldemort possesses Harry, and it hurts. Greatly. I think that Dumbledore explained that it was because Voldemort's rotten soul was incapable of assimilating Harry's pure soul, that Voldemort didn't understand the love and friendship etc that Harry has in his heart. But, I think it was a lie. Remember that in Deathly Hallows, while looking for information regarding Horcruxes, it is discovered that it is in fact possible to merge a soul fragment back, but that the process was extremely painful. Now then, if Voldemort tried to possess Harry, and Harry had a fragment of Voldemort's soul, I think that it could have been the true cause of Voldemort's pain: the fact of having his soul so close of another fragment. I think that Dumbledore knew that fact, but had to lie to Harry because it was inappropriate to let him know that he had one of Voldemort's soul fragments at the moment. Is that right? Or was it truly the pure soul of Harry's...

star wars - What "exactly" happens when someone turns to the Dark Side?

When I saw the original Star Wars saga as a kid, the concept of the Dark Side imprinted in me was quite simple. You did a bad thing, so you're a bad person so you go to the Dark Side and keep doing bad things. Now, obviously this doesn't hold true in reality. In my mind it is perfectly reasonable for Luke to kill the Emperor and Vader and then just flee the Death Star and rejoin the Alliance. After all they are at war, those are enemy officers that have captured him and are taunting him by threatening with death of all loved ones and the whole operation was intended to kill the Emperor anyway. The same would hold true for Anakin. He could have killed Mace Windu to save the Chancellor and Padme but that doesn't mean he's going to then go mad and kill all Jedis including children. It doesn't add up from a merely psychological point of view. He had a set of objectives and that made him want to keep the Chancellor alive (quite valid by the way, Mace Windu is quite clums...

star trek - Warning regarding forward saucer section in Nemesis?

In Star Trek: Nemesis , just before the Enterprise rams into the Scimitar, Picard sends a text message from his captain's chair arm pad to Troi — who is manning the helm in lieu of the crewman who was just blown out through what was once the view screen — indicating that she should put full impulse on standby. (Literally, if you watch the scene closely, Troi's console prefaces the order with "TXT MSG" !) My question is: Did Picard also somehow warn crew members in the forward saucer section about what was about to happen? The ramming of the Scimitar was a heat of the moment decision. Considering that he also resorted to calling the auto-destruct sequence shortly after (which ended up being offline), he probably was of the mindset that any losses would be acceptable in order to hault Shinzon's march to Earth. Still, I'm curious. Answer The original script indicates that he called for the crew to " brace for impact ". Whether that call (or the comma...