In the 1980s I read a short story in an anthology that also contained "The Ruum" by Arthur Porges and "Tickets Please" by D H Lawrence. The short story featured a group of possibly British people staying at a hotel. An old man claimed he could make anyone disappear totally, so that no one would even remember they had ever existed (no photos, physical evidence, memories of the person, etc.). No one believes him so he does it, and the story ends with a young newly wed man kicking over a stool that his bride (Jessamy?) had been sitting on, but she is no longer there, so she was the one who was totally eliminated. But no one believes the old man actually did what he claimed because no one could remember the young woman having been there, not even her new husband. I always found it a bit chilling and creepy, but can't remember what the story was called.
In Empire Strikes Back , we see a transcription of what R2's beeps and bloops mean, but it's not English (sorry for the low quality, it's from the 2004 DVDs): I'd assume it's what Basic looks like when written, but is there some point in the the Star Wars films we see written English instead? (This sort of spun off from a discussion in How do people understand astromech droids? .) Answer At one point there was English but it has been phased out in subsequent versions of the films. Chris Gould at DVD Active did a comparison of all versions of each of the Star Wars films, and in his comparison of Episode 4 , there are a couple of screenshots showing how the power gauge for the Death Star tractor beam was changed. I imagine there are probably more to be found in his other comparisons but I haven't got around to reading those yet.
Comments
Post a Comment