Skip to main content

story identification - Identify a TV show that involved dimensional travel?



I'm looking for the title of a show I saw when I was a child. I'm not sure what year it was made, but it could have been anything before 2000, really. I remember some overall plot features and details about a few episodes.


Overall Plot: The main character was a white male, probably in his early 20s. There was also an old man, a woman who was also probably early 20s, and some sort of small alien creature that I don't believe spoke english. Together these people travelled to different dimensions/through space (I think) on a ship.


They were being persued by a black male, probably about 30-40s who wore some kind of red armoured suit. Initially you believe him to be the bad guy, but I think there was a reveal where it turned out he was the good guy and the old man was the bad guy.


The following are some episodes, or parts of episodes, that I vaguely remember:


1) An episode that featured a character that was a human sized rag doll, possibly raggedy anne? I believe there were multiple 'toy' people.


2) An episode where the woman ate a piece of mushroom she found, which then turned out to be part of a 'mushroom person' and she fell ill


3) At some point the guy in a red armoured suit got trapped on a desert planet and couldn't get up. He tricked some wild old woman into helping him up and then he escaped?





NOTE: I am a big scifi fan. I have seen all of the big tv shows like Dr Who, Sliders, Star Trek, Red Dwarf, etc. It is not one of them. It is not going to be a big show, I wouldn't be surprised if it's one of those shows that had like 10 episodes and then got cancelled. I saw this in England in the early 2000s, probably on the SciFi channel, but I have a feeling it was either American or Canadian made.


I read a lot of science fiction as well, so I'm pretty sure it's not some sort of adaption of a popular scifi novel, so it's probably either an original piece or adapted from a relativley obscure source.



Answer



Josh Kirby... Time Warrior!


DVDs of all six episodes



In the 25th century mankind has found a device capable of destroying the universe. Irwin 1138 separates the Nullifier into 6 pieces which he scatters throughout time. When the evil Dr. Zoetrope goes after the pieces, Irwin 1138 must try to stop him, with the help of a 20th century teenager, Josh Kirby, and a half-human warrior named Azabeth Siege. The race is on.



The living rag doll might have come from the Toy World episode.






Chapter 5 has mushroom people (video no longer available).


And yes,



Irwin 1138 eventually turns out to be the bad guy all along.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Was the "pure soul" of Harry's what had really hurt Voldemort?

In the Order of the Phoenix, Voldemort possesses Harry, and it hurts. Greatly. I think that Dumbledore explained that it was because Voldemort's rotten soul was incapable of assimilating Harry's pure soul, that Voldemort didn't understand the love and friendship etc that Harry has in his heart. But, I think it was a lie. Remember that in Deathly Hallows, while looking for information regarding Horcruxes, it is discovered that it is in fact possible to merge a soul fragment back, but that the process was extremely painful. Now then, if Voldemort tried to possess Harry, and Harry had a fragment of Voldemort's soul, I think that it could have been the true cause of Voldemort's pain: the fact of having his soul so close of another fragment. I think that Dumbledore knew that fact, but had to lie to Harry because it was inappropriate to let him know that he had one of Voldemort's soul fragments at the moment. Is that right? Or was it truly the pure soul of Harry's...

languages - Do we ever see written English in the Star Wars films?

In Empire Strikes Back , we see a transcription of what R2's beeps and bloops mean, but it's not English (sorry for the low quality, it's from the 2004 DVDs): I'd assume it's what Basic looks like when written, but is there some point in the the Star Wars films we see written English instead? (This sort of spun off from a discussion in How do people understand astromech droids? .) Answer At one point there was English but it has been phased out in subsequent versions of the films. Chris Gould at DVD Active did a comparison of all versions of each of the Star Wars films, and in his comparison of Episode 4 , there are a couple of screenshots showing how the power gauge for the Death Star tractor beam was changed. I imagine there are probably more to be found in his other comparisons but I haven't got around to reading those yet.

star wars - What "exactly" happens when someone turns to the Dark Side?

When I saw the original Star Wars saga as a kid, the concept of the Dark Side imprinted in me was quite simple. You did a bad thing, so you're a bad person so you go to the Dark Side and keep doing bad things. Now, obviously this doesn't hold true in reality. In my mind it is perfectly reasonable for Luke to kill the Emperor and Vader and then just flee the Death Star and rejoin the Alliance. After all they are at war, those are enemy officers that have captured him and are taunting him by threatening with death of all loved ones and the whole operation was intended to kill the Emperor anyway. The same would hold true for Anakin. He could have killed Mace Windu to save the Chancellor and Padme but that doesn't mean he's going to then go mad and kill all Jedis including children. It doesn't add up from a merely psychological point of view. He had a set of objectives and that made him want to keep the Chancellor alive (quite valid by the way, Mace Windu is quite clums...

star trek - Warning regarding forward saucer section in Nemesis?

In Star Trek: Nemesis , just before the Enterprise rams into the Scimitar, Picard sends a text message from his captain's chair arm pad to Troi — who is manning the helm in lieu of the crewman who was just blown out through what was once the view screen — indicating that she should put full impulse on standby. (Literally, if you watch the scene closely, Troi's console prefaces the order with "TXT MSG" !) My question is: Did Picard also somehow warn crew members in the forward saucer section about what was about to happen? The ramming of the Scimitar was a heat of the moment decision. Considering that he also resorted to calling the auto-destruct sequence shortly after (which ended up being offline), he probably was of the mindset that any losses would be acceptable in order to hault Shinzon's march to Earth. Still, I'm curious. Answer The original script indicates that he called for the crew to " brace for impact ". Whether that call (or the comma...