Skip to main content

the matrix - Is there anything special about Agent Smith that makes him become a virus?


If Neo had killed either of the other two agents instead of Agent Smith, would the killed agent have become the "Smith"-like virus as well?



Answer



I think there are at least some hints Smith was unusual before he became a virus. In the scene of Morpheus' interrogation, at one point Smith says "Leave me with him. Now." The other two agents give him an odd look before leaving, as if this is an unusual request. Then once they are out of the room, he removes both his sunglasses and his earpiece and says:



Can you hear me, Morpheus? I'm going to be honest with you. I hate this place, this zoo, this prison, this reality, whatever you want to call it. I can't stand it any longer. It's the smell, if there is such a thing. I feel saturated by it. I can taste your stink. And every time I do I feel I have somehow been infected by it. It's repulsive, isn't it? I must get out of here. I must get free and in this mind is the key, my key. Once Zion is destroyed there is no need for me to be here, don't you understand? I need the codes. I have to get inside Zion, and you have to tell me how. You're going to tell me or you're going to die.




So it seems he was highly motivated not just to do his job, but to find a way of destroying Zion so he could stop doing his job and leave the Matrix, which seems unusual for a program. And the fact that he ordered the other agents to leave and removed his earpiece (which seems to connect them to each other and to whatever other programs give them orders) before giving this speech suggests that he didn't want any of the other programs to know about these desires of his.


The removal of the earpiece is also important because at the start of Reloaded, he appears at the door of the rebel hideout and passes a package to the doorman, "Corrupt":



Smith: I'm looking for Neo.


Corrupt: Never heard of him.


Smith: I have something for him. A gift. You see, he set me free.



Then when Neo opens the package, he sees it's Smith's earpiece, which he no longer wears in Reloaded and Revolutions. So the fact that he associated the loss of his earpiece with being set free, combined with the fact that he removed it in the interrogation scene before he was transformed into a virus, suggests he already had an unusual desire to be free of his assigned role in the first film.


So while I don't know if another agent would have gained special powers from Neo destroying them in the same manner as Smith was destroyed in the first film, even if they did, I don't think another agent would have used these powers in an attempt to destroy the Matrix by copying themselves into everyone else inside it (a 'virus'-like strategy that may have been inspired by his notion that humanity was a kind of virus, something he talked about in another section of the interrogation scene with Morpheus).



As for the question of why Smith gained these new powers, I think all we really know is what was said in this exchange from Reloaded:



Smith: Then you're aware of it.


Neo: Of what?


Smith: Our connection. I don't fully understand how it happened. Perhaps some part of you imprinted onto me, something overwritten or copied. That is at this point irrelevant, what matters is that whatever happened, happened for a reason.


Neo: And what reason is that?


Smith: I killed you, Mister Anderson, I watched you die... With a certain satisfaction, I might add, and then something happened. Something that I knew was impossible, but it happened anyway. You destroyed me, Mister Anderson. Afterward, I knew the rules, I understood what I was supposed to do but I didn't. I couldn't. I was compelled to stay, compelled to disobey. And now here I stand because of you, Mister Anderson, because of you I'm no longer an agent of the system, because of you I've changed - I'm unplugged - a new man, so to speak, like you, apparently free.



The line "I don't fully understand how it happened. Perhaps some part of you imprinted onto me, something overwritten or copied" probably suggests the Wachowskis didn't really want to get into the specific technical details of why the transformation happened on a technical level.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

languages - Do we ever see written English in the Star Wars films?

In Empire Strikes Back , we see a transcription of what R2's beeps and bloops mean, but it's not English (sorry for the low quality, it's from the 2004 DVDs): I'd assume it's what Basic looks like when written, but is there some point in the the Star Wars films we see written English instead? (This sort of spun off from a discussion in How do people understand astromech droids? .) Answer At one point there was English but it has been phased out in subsequent versions of the films. Chris Gould at DVD Active did a comparison of all versions of each of the Star Wars films, and in his comparison of Episode 4 , there are a couple of screenshots showing how the power gauge for the Death Star tractor beam was changed. I imagine there are probably more to be found in his other comparisons but I haven't got around to reading those yet.

Was the "pure soul" of Harry's what had really hurt Voldemort?

In the Order of the Phoenix, Voldemort possesses Harry, and it hurts. Greatly. I think that Dumbledore explained that it was because Voldemort's rotten soul was incapable of assimilating Harry's pure soul, that Voldemort didn't understand the love and friendship etc that Harry has in his heart. But, I think it was a lie. Remember that in Deathly Hallows, while looking for information regarding Horcruxes, it is discovered that it is in fact possible to merge a soul fragment back, but that the process was extremely painful. Now then, if Voldemort tried to possess Harry, and Harry had a fragment of Voldemort's soul, I think that it could have been the true cause of Voldemort's pain: the fact of having his soul so close of another fragment. I think that Dumbledore knew that fact, but had to lie to Harry because it was inappropriate to let him know that he had one of Voldemort's soul fragments at the moment. Is that right? Or was it truly the pure soul of Harry's...

star wars - What "exactly" happens when someone turns to the Dark Side?

When I saw the original Star Wars saga as a kid, the concept of the Dark Side imprinted in me was quite simple. You did a bad thing, so you're a bad person so you go to the Dark Side and keep doing bad things. Now, obviously this doesn't hold true in reality. In my mind it is perfectly reasonable for Luke to kill the Emperor and Vader and then just flee the Death Star and rejoin the Alliance. After all they are at war, those are enemy officers that have captured him and are taunting him by threatening with death of all loved ones and the whole operation was intended to kill the Emperor anyway. The same would hold true for Anakin. He could have killed Mace Windu to save the Chancellor and Padme but that doesn't mean he's going to then go mad and kill all Jedis including children. It doesn't add up from a merely psychological point of view. He had a set of objectives and that made him want to keep the Chancellor alive (quite valid by the way, Mace Windu is quite clums...

star trek - Warning regarding forward saucer section in Nemesis?

In Star Trek: Nemesis , just before the Enterprise rams into the Scimitar, Picard sends a text message from his captain's chair arm pad to Troi — who is manning the helm in lieu of the crewman who was just blown out through what was once the view screen — indicating that she should put full impulse on standby. (Literally, if you watch the scene closely, Troi's console prefaces the order with "TXT MSG" !) My question is: Did Picard also somehow warn crew members in the forward saucer section about what was about to happen? The ramming of the Scimitar was a heat of the moment decision. Considering that he also resorted to calling the auto-destruct sequence shortly after (which ended up being offline), he probably was of the mindset that any losses would be acceptable in order to hault Shinzon's march to Earth. Still, I'm curious. Answer The original script indicates that he called for the crew to " brace for impact ". Whether that call (or the comma...