Skip to main content

Sci-fi story where all 'citizens' had shares in a global company


Not everyone was a citizen though, there was a significant underclass who had no shares.


One character was a celebrity in some sort of combat game who was followed by camera drones & used drugs to suppress puberty so he waa an eternal 'child', I have the impression that medical science allowed virtual immortality short of accidents.


One character (may have been the same one) had had a 'previous life' & had committed personality suicide by some form of mind wipe bequeathing his worldly possessions to the new personality that would eventually develop in his old body.


I think the motive for this 'suicide' was essentially boredom, he'd lived a long time.


The mind wipe in question was pretty extensive & all encompassing, he had to be cared for & educated from scratch as if a newborn baby in an adult body, nappies & all (but I'm pretty sure this was purely backstory in the book I read).


He also had miniature nano organisms (or bots?) like miniature worms or millipedes that complimented his immune system & aided healing, they were self replicating, pretty sure they were some sort of bioengineered organism tailored to his DNA rather than bots but not 100% on that.



There was an organism spanning a large area on the planet that absorbed (or consumed) anything that wandered into it but saved the DNA of anything it had previously absorbed & might randomly reproduce any animal plant or individual it had previously absorbed fully formed.


One of the characters fell into this but got pulled out before the full effects took hold, as a result he grew leaves from his head & his immune system was then constantly battling with the 'infection'.


When did I read this? probably some time in the 80's in the UK.


When was it written? I haven't a clue, sorry.


It was a paperback, probably something I had out of a library, because I never get rid of anything I've bought myself so I'd still have it & be able to dig it out if it wasn't a library loan.


I have lots of fragments of world background & 'colour' that seem to have stuck in my mind there, but a complete lack of any story arc to go with them.



Answer



The Artificial Kid by Bruce Sterling


Quoting from Wikipedia:




The Artificial Kid takes place on the planet Reverie, a world of coral continents, levitating islands, and the corrosive, transformative wilderness of "The Mass." Reverie has been transformed into a utopia/dystopia, with a stark class division. Arti, a heavily biologically modified boy from the Decriminalized Zone, becomes a pop star by selling videos of himself engaging in bloody combat with other fighters for the entertainment of the upper classes. When Reverie's founder, Moses Moses emerges from seven centuries of cryosleep, and Arti discovers an unpleasant secret about his past, both have to flee to escape from the powers of the "Cabal" that controls Reverie from behind the scenes.



It is one of Sterling's earliest novels (1980) and can be thought of as far-future cyberpunk. I clearly remember the floating cameras that follow him all the time and record everything he does. I also remember a very large organism that the Kid and his friends encounter later in the book when fleeing the Cabal.


enter image description here


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

languages - Do we ever see written English in the Star Wars films?

In Empire Strikes Back , we see a transcription of what R2's beeps and bloops mean, but it's not English (sorry for the low quality, it's from the 2004 DVDs): I'd assume it's what Basic looks like when written, but is there some point in the the Star Wars films we see written English instead? (This sort of spun off from a discussion in How do people understand astromech droids? .) Answer At one point there was English but it has been phased out in subsequent versions of the films. Chris Gould at DVD Active did a comparison of all versions of each of the Star Wars films, and in his comparison of Episode 4 , there are a couple of screenshots showing how the power gauge for the Death Star tractor beam was changed. I imagine there are probably more to be found in his other comparisons but I haven't got around to reading those yet.

Was the "pure soul" of Harry's what had really hurt Voldemort?

In the Order of the Phoenix, Voldemort possesses Harry, and it hurts. Greatly. I think that Dumbledore explained that it was because Voldemort's rotten soul was incapable of assimilating Harry's pure soul, that Voldemort didn't understand the love and friendship etc that Harry has in his heart. But, I think it was a lie. Remember that in Deathly Hallows, while looking for information regarding Horcruxes, it is discovered that it is in fact possible to merge a soul fragment back, but that the process was extremely painful. Now then, if Voldemort tried to possess Harry, and Harry had a fragment of Voldemort's soul, I think that it could have been the true cause of Voldemort's pain: the fact of having his soul so close of another fragment. I think that Dumbledore knew that fact, but had to lie to Harry because it was inappropriate to let him know that he had one of Voldemort's soul fragments at the moment. Is that right? Or was it truly the pure soul of Harry's...

star wars - What "exactly" happens when someone turns to the Dark Side?

When I saw the original Star Wars saga as a kid, the concept of the Dark Side imprinted in me was quite simple. You did a bad thing, so you're a bad person so you go to the Dark Side and keep doing bad things. Now, obviously this doesn't hold true in reality. In my mind it is perfectly reasonable for Luke to kill the Emperor and Vader and then just flee the Death Star and rejoin the Alliance. After all they are at war, those are enemy officers that have captured him and are taunting him by threatening with death of all loved ones and the whole operation was intended to kill the Emperor anyway. The same would hold true for Anakin. He could have killed Mace Windu to save the Chancellor and Padme but that doesn't mean he's going to then go mad and kill all Jedis including children. It doesn't add up from a merely psychological point of view. He had a set of objectives and that made him want to keep the Chancellor alive (quite valid by the way, Mace Windu is quite clums...

star trek - Warning regarding forward saucer section in Nemesis?

In Star Trek: Nemesis , just before the Enterprise rams into the Scimitar, Picard sends a text message from his captain's chair arm pad to Troi — who is manning the helm in lieu of the crewman who was just blown out through what was once the view screen — indicating that she should put full impulse on standby. (Literally, if you watch the scene closely, Troi's console prefaces the order with "TXT MSG" !) My question is: Did Picard also somehow warn crew members in the forward saucer section about what was about to happen? The ramming of the Scimitar was a heat of the moment decision. Considering that he also resorted to calling the auto-destruct sequence shortly after (which ended up being offline), he probably was of the mindset that any losses would be acceptable in order to hault Shinzon's march to Earth. Still, I'm curious. Answer The original script indicates that he called for the crew to " brace for impact ". Whether that call (or the comma...