Skip to main content

why did the Doctor choose the face of Lobus Caecilius




in the fires of Pompeii the doctor meets Lobus Caecilius



CAECILIUS: Who are you?


DOCTOR: I am Spartacus.


DONNA: And so am I. CAECILIUS: Mister and Mrs Spartacus.


DOCTOR: Oh no, no, no. We're not, we're not married.


DONNA: We're not together.


CAECILIUS: Oh, then brother and sister? Yes, of course. You look very much alike.



then after saving him from the volcano at Christmas 2013 the time of the doctor he regenerates into Lobus face then in series 8 episode 1 Deep Breath he starts wondering why he choose this face




DOCTOR:Er, have you seen this face before?


BARNEY: No.


DOCTOR: Are you sure?


BARNEY: Sir, I have never seen that face.


DOCTOR: It's funny, because I'm sure that I have. You know, I never know where the faces come from. They just pop up. Zap. Faces like this one. Come on, look at it, have a look, come on, look, look, look. (The Doctor pulls Barney over to look in the mirror on the ground.)


DOCTOR: Look, it's covered in lines. But I didn't do the frowning. Who frowned me this face? Do you ever look in the mirror and think I've seen that face before?


BARNEY: Yes.


DOCTOR: Really? When?


BARNEY: Well, every time I look in the mirror.



DOCTOR: Oh, yes, yes, yes. Fair enough. Good point. My face is fresh on, though.


BARNEY: Er (Barney moves away from the nutter in the nightshirt.)


DOCTOR: Why this one? Why did I choose this face? It's like I'm trying to tell myself something. Like I'm trying to make a point. But what is so important that I can't just tell myself what I'm thinking?



then in series 9 episode 5 The Girl Who Died he starts to realize why he choose this face



DOCTOR:I'm not supposed to. Oh. Oh! (He looks at his reflection in the water and sees what he saw in the mirror back in Deep Breath.)


CLARA: What? What's wrong?


DOCTOR: My face.


DOCTOR [memory]: Who frowned me this face? Why this one? Why did I choose this face?



CLARA: Doctor, what's wrong with your face?


DOCTOR: I think I know why I chose it.


DOCTOR [memory]: It's like I'm trying to tell myself something.


DOCTOR: I think I know what I'm trying to say.


DONNA [memory]: (to Doctor 10) Just someone. Not the whole town. Just save someone.


DOCTOR 10 [memory]: Come with me. (A memory of Lobus Caecilus cowering as Vesuvius erupts in Fires of Pompeii. Played by Peter Capaldi, if you'd forgotten.)


DOCTOR: I know where I got this face, and I know what it's for.


CLARA: Okay, what's it for?


DOCTOR: To remind me. To hold me to the mark. I'm the Doctor, and I save people. (He shouts at the sky - the Time Lords.)


DOCTOR: And if anyone happens to be listening, and you've got any kind of a problem with that, to hell with you!




which made me think why did the Doctor choose the face of Lobus Caecilius? was it like reminder to save people what was it




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

futurama - How much time is lost in 'Time Keeps on Slippin''

In time Keeps on Slippin' , Farnsworth creates a basketball team which he matures by abusing Chronitons. This leads to time skipping forward by random, but ever increasing amounts. How much time was skipped in this way? Answer Unfortunately, I don't think a good estimate can be made for this, for two reasons: Many of the time skips move forward by an indeterminate amount of time. At one point, the Professor mentions localized regions of space skipping forward much more than others. We then see two young boys on the street below complaining about having to pay social security, only to suddenly become senior citizens and start complaining about wanting their money. Thus, each individual could have experienced a different amount of time skippage.

languages - Do we ever see written English in the Star Wars films?

In Empire Strikes Back , we see a transcription of what R2's beeps and bloops mean, but it's not English (sorry for the low quality, it's from the 2004 DVDs): I'd assume it's what Basic looks like when written, but is there some point in the the Star Wars films we see written English instead? (This sort of spun off from a discussion in How do people understand astromech droids? .) Answer At one point there was English but it has been phased out in subsequent versions of the films. Chris Gould at DVD Active did a comparison of all versions of each of the Star Wars films, and in his comparison of Episode 4 , there are a couple of screenshots showing how the power gauge for the Death Star tractor beam was changed. I imagine there are probably more to be found in his other comparisons but I haven't got around to reading those yet.

Was the "pure soul" of Harry's what had really hurt Voldemort?

In the Order of the Phoenix, Voldemort possesses Harry, and it hurts. Greatly. I think that Dumbledore explained that it was because Voldemort's rotten soul was incapable of assimilating Harry's pure soul, that Voldemort didn't understand the love and friendship etc that Harry has in his heart. But, I think it was a lie. Remember that in Deathly Hallows, while looking for information regarding Horcruxes, it is discovered that it is in fact possible to merge a soul fragment back, but that the process was extremely painful. Now then, if Voldemort tried to possess Harry, and Harry had a fragment of Voldemort's soul, I think that it could have been the true cause of Voldemort's pain: the fact of having his soul so close of another fragment. I think that Dumbledore knew that fact, but had to lie to Harry because it was inappropriate to let him know that he had one of Voldemort's soul fragments at the moment. Is that right? Or was it truly the pure soul of Harry's...

star wars - What "exactly" happens when someone turns to the Dark Side?

When I saw the original Star Wars saga as a kid, the concept of the Dark Side imprinted in me was quite simple. You did a bad thing, so you're a bad person so you go to the Dark Side and keep doing bad things. Now, obviously this doesn't hold true in reality. In my mind it is perfectly reasonable for Luke to kill the Emperor and Vader and then just flee the Death Star and rejoin the Alliance. After all they are at war, those are enemy officers that have captured him and are taunting him by threatening with death of all loved ones and the whole operation was intended to kill the Emperor anyway. The same would hold true for Anakin. He could have killed Mace Windu to save the Chancellor and Padme but that doesn't mean he's going to then go mad and kill all Jedis including children. It doesn't add up from a merely psychological point of view. He had a set of objectives and that made him want to keep the Chancellor alive (quite valid by the way, Mace Windu is quite clums...