Skip to main content

Short story involving time travel through a train station


I cannot remember the story exactly, but I guess it goes like this -



Protagonist was travelling somewhere. So he goes to a train station. But the ticket counter he went to appeared old fashioned (may be with old lamps and kind of things). He gives money to the man at the counter to buy a ticket. But seeing the coins, the person asks if the protagonist is trying to fool him. (Implies that the person has not seen the coins before, so he thinks protagonist is trying to fool him giving fake money).


Somehow the protagonist reached back to his home and tells his relatives/neighbors about his experience. He got curious about this and made several attempts to get back to that same ticket counter, but couldn't find it.


After some days the protagonist go missing. The relatives/friends find an old bundle of letters at his house. The letters had been sent by the protagonist from a different time period. From the letters it is understood that the guy had found the counter and traveled back in time. He is happy there and do not wish to return.


I remember the place of the plot as Illinois.



Answer



Short story involving time travel through a train station


"The Third Level" is a short story by Jack Finney, first published Collier's, October 7, 1950; reprinted in The Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction, October 1952, which is available at the Internet Archive. You can also read it here, or you can listen to actor Jonathan Frid read the first page or two in this YouTube video.


It starts like this:



The presidents of the New York Central and the New York, New Haven and Hartford railroads will swear on a stack of timetables that there are only two. But I say there are three, because I've been on the third level at Grand Central Station.




Protagonist was travelling somewhere. So he goes to a train station. But the ticket counter he went to appeared old fashioned (may be with old lamps and kind of things).



There were brass spittoons on the floor, and across the station a glint of light caught my eye; a man was pulling a gold watch from his vest pocket. He snapped open the cover, glanced at his watch, and frowned. He wore a dirty hat, a black four-button suit with tiny lapels, and he had a big, black, handle-bar mustache. Then I looked around and saw that everyone in the station was dressed like 1890-something; I never saw so many beards, sideburns and fancy mustaches in my life. A woman walked in through the train gate; she wore a dress with leg-of-mutton sleeves and skirts to the top of her high-buttoned shoes. Back of her, out on the tracks, I caught glimpse of a locomotive, a very small Currier & Ives locomotive with a funnel-shaped stack. And then I knew.



He gives money to the man at the counter to buy a ticket. But seeing the coins, the person asks if the protagonist is trying to fool him. (Implies that the person has not seen the coins before, so he thinks protagonist is trying to fool him giving fake money).



The clerk figured the fare — he glanced at my fancy hatband, but he figured the fare — and I had enough for two coach tickets, one way. But when I counted out the money and looked up, the clerk was staring at me. He nodded at the bills. "That ain't money, mister," he said, "and if you're trying to skin me you won't get very far," and he glanced at the cash drawer beside him. Of course the money was old-style bills, half again as big as the money we use nowadays, and different-looking. I turned away and got out fast. There's nothing nice about jail, even in 1894.



Somehow the protagonist reached back to his home and tells his relatives/neighbors about his experience. He got curious about this and made several attempts to get back to that same ticket counter, but couldn't find it.




And that was that. I left the same way I came, I suppose. Next day, during lunch hour, I drew $300 out of the bank, nearly all we had, and bought old-style currency (that really worried my psychiatrist friend). You can buy old money at almost any coin dealer's, but you have to pay a premium. My $300 bought less than $200 in old-style bills, but I didn't care; eggs were thirteen cents a dozen in 1894.

But I've never again found the corridor that leads to the third level at Grand Central Station, although I've tried often enough.



After some days the protagonist go missing.


Not the protagonist, a friend of his:



Louisa was pretty worried when I told her all this, and didn't want me to look for the third level any more, and after a while I stopped; I went back to my stamps. But now we're both looking, every week end, because now we have proof that the third level is still there. My friend Sam Weiner disappeared! Nobody knew where, but I sort of suspected because Sam's a city boy, and I used to tell him about Galesburg — I went to school there — and he always said he liked the sound of the place. And that's where he is, all right. In 1894.



The relatives/friends find an old bundle of letters at his house. The letters had been sent by the protagonist from a different time period. . . . I remember the place of the plot as Illinois.


Actually the protagonist/narrator, who collects stamps, finds among his first-day covers a letter from his friend Sam, writing from Galesburg, Illinois, in 1894.



From the Galesburg, Illinois Wikipedia page:



Writer Jack Finney, author of The Body Snatchers, uses Galesburg as a setting for several of his time-travel tales.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

languages - Do we ever see written English in the Star Wars films?

In Empire Strikes Back , we see a transcription of what R2's beeps and bloops mean, but it's not English (sorry for the low quality, it's from the 2004 DVDs): I'd assume it's what Basic looks like when written, but is there some point in the the Star Wars films we see written English instead? (This sort of spun off from a discussion in How do people understand astromech droids? .) Answer At one point there was English but it has been phased out in subsequent versions of the films. Chris Gould at DVD Active did a comparison of all versions of each of the Star Wars films, and in his comparison of Episode 4 , there are a couple of screenshots showing how the power gauge for the Death Star tractor beam was changed. I imagine there are probably more to be found in his other comparisons but I haven't got around to reading those yet.

Was the "pure soul" of Harry's what had really hurt Voldemort?

In the Order of the Phoenix, Voldemort possesses Harry, and it hurts. Greatly. I think that Dumbledore explained that it was because Voldemort's rotten soul was incapable of assimilating Harry's pure soul, that Voldemort didn't understand the love and friendship etc that Harry has in his heart. But, I think it was a lie. Remember that in Deathly Hallows, while looking for information regarding Horcruxes, it is discovered that it is in fact possible to merge a soul fragment back, but that the process was extremely painful. Now then, if Voldemort tried to possess Harry, and Harry had a fragment of Voldemort's soul, I think that it could have been the true cause of Voldemort's pain: the fact of having his soul so close of another fragment. I think that Dumbledore knew that fact, but had to lie to Harry because it was inappropriate to let him know that he had one of Voldemort's soul fragments at the moment. Is that right? Or was it truly the pure soul of Harry's...

star wars - What "exactly" happens when someone turns to the Dark Side?

When I saw the original Star Wars saga as a kid, the concept of the Dark Side imprinted in me was quite simple. You did a bad thing, so you're a bad person so you go to the Dark Side and keep doing bad things. Now, obviously this doesn't hold true in reality. In my mind it is perfectly reasonable for Luke to kill the Emperor and Vader and then just flee the Death Star and rejoin the Alliance. After all they are at war, those are enemy officers that have captured him and are taunting him by threatening with death of all loved ones and the whole operation was intended to kill the Emperor anyway. The same would hold true for Anakin. He could have killed Mace Windu to save the Chancellor and Padme but that doesn't mean he's going to then go mad and kill all Jedis including children. It doesn't add up from a merely psychological point of view. He had a set of objectives and that made him want to keep the Chancellor alive (quite valid by the way, Mace Windu is quite clums...

star trek - Warning regarding forward saucer section in Nemesis?

In Star Trek: Nemesis , just before the Enterprise rams into the Scimitar, Picard sends a text message from his captain's chair arm pad to Troi — who is manning the helm in lieu of the crewman who was just blown out through what was once the view screen — indicating that she should put full impulse on standby. (Literally, if you watch the scene closely, Troi's console prefaces the order with "TXT MSG" !) My question is: Did Picard also somehow warn crew members in the forward saucer section about what was about to happen? The ramming of the Scimitar was a heat of the moment decision. Considering that he also resorted to calling the auto-destruct sequence shortly after (which ended up being offline), he probably was of the mindset that any losses would be acceptable in order to hault Shinzon's march to Earth. Still, I'm curious. Answer The original script indicates that he called for the crew to " brace for impact ". Whether that call (or the comma...