Skip to main content

harry potter - What jobs can wizards and witches do within the world of magic?


This Cracked article reminded me of the reason why I asked this question.


What jobs were open to wizards and witches in the world of magic?


From crowd scenes at Quidditch competitions it seems that there are many wizards and witches out there but not many occupations are listed [in the books]. So that leads me to think either there are many jobs not listed or no one actually needs to work after they graduate.


To clarify I am not asking what Muggle related jobs there may be or even what jobs the Ministry of Magic has available. The books pretty much divide it into teaching, government, shop owner, reporter, writer and Quidditch player.




Answer



Employment options we see or that can be inferred:



  • The Ministry. Employs a large percentage of witches and wizards in Britain.

  • Hogwarts. Employs a score, give or take, of teachers and a few other staff (Filch, Mme. Pomfrey, Mme. Pince, at least).

  • St. Mungo's. No idea how many they employ. I'd guess an absolute minimum of 50, probably closer to 100.

  • Gringotts. Sure, most of the workers there are goblins, but Bill Weasley works for Gringotts, so they have some employees, even if they're all off-site.

  • Shops. There are dozens, maybe hundreds of shops in Diagon Alley, and a dozen or two more in Hogsmeade. We only see the proprietors of most (except the twins' assistant), but there must be more.

  • Supply Chain. Just like in our world, most shop owners don't make all their products. Even those who do (e.g. It's implied Olivander makes all his wands, the Weasley twins enchant all their own products) have to get the raw materials somewhere. I really have no idea on this, but I'd have to guess at least twice as many people as work in shops.

  • The Service Industry. Somewhat surprisingly, we don't see this much in the books, but, e.g. caterers, personal assistants, whatever else people will pay another to do for them.


  • Entertainment. This is so big I'll break it down a bit.

    • Press. The Daily Prophet, The Quibbler, the various wizarding wireless (radio) stations.

    • Bands. We see/hear several bands/music groups.

    • Quidditch. There are 13 quidditch teams in Britain, so 91 on the field, who knows how many substitutes, coaches, managers, owners, greenskeepers, ushers, vendors, announcers, and probably more categories I overlooked.

    • Authors. Gilderoy Lockhart, the authors of all the kids' textbooks, and other books in, e.g. the Hogwarts Library and the bookstore in Diagon Alley.



  • Old Money. People, e.g. Lucius Malfoy, the Potters before they were killed, who have enough money they don't have to work.

  • Housewives. And househusbands if you insist on gender equality.



And I'm sure there are fairly large categories I've missed. I don't think there's any shortage of jobs in the Wizarding World.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

languages - Do we ever see written English in the Star Wars films?

In Empire Strikes Back , we see a transcription of what R2's beeps and bloops mean, but it's not English (sorry for the low quality, it's from the 2004 DVDs): I'd assume it's what Basic looks like when written, but is there some point in the the Star Wars films we see written English instead? (This sort of spun off from a discussion in How do people understand astromech droids? .) Answer At one point there was English but it has been phased out in subsequent versions of the films. Chris Gould at DVD Active did a comparison of all versions of each of the Star Wars films, and in his comparison of Episode 4 , there are a couple of screenshots showing how the power gauge for the Death Star tractor beam was changed. I imagine there are probably more to be found in his other comparisons but I haven't got around to reading those yet.

star wars - What "exactly" happens when someone turns to the Dark Side?

When I saw the original Star Wars saga as a kid, the concept of the Dark Side imprinted in me was quite simple. You did a bad thing, so you're a bad person so you go to the Dark Side and keep doing bad things. Now, obviously this doesn't hold true in reality. In my mind it is perfectly reasonable for Luke to kill the Emperor and Vader and then just flee the Death Star and rejoin the Alliance. After all they are at war, those are enemy officers that have captured him and are taunting him by threatening with death of all loved ones and the whole operation was intended to kill the Emperor anyway. The same would hold true for Anakin. He could have killed Mace Windu to save the Chancellor and Padme but that doesn't mean he's going to then go mad and kill all Jedis including children. It doesn't add up from a merely psychological point of view. He had a set of objectives and that made him want to keep the Chancellor alive (quite valid by the way, Mace Windu is quite clums...

Was the "pure soul" of Harry's what had really hurt Voldemort?

In the Order of the Phoenix, Voldemort possesses Harry, and it hurts. Greatly. I think that Dumbledore explained that it was because Voldemort's rotten soul was incapable of assimilating Harry's pure soul, that Voldemort didn't understand the love and friendship etc that Harry has in his heart. But, I think it was a lie. Remember that in Deathly Hallows, while looking for information regarding Horcruxes, it is discovered that it is in fact possible to merge a soul fragment back, but that the process was extremely painful. Now then, if Voldemort tried to possess Harry, and Harry had a fragment of Voldemort's soul, I think that it could have been the true cause of Voldemort's pain: the fact of having his soul so close of another fragment. I think that Dumbledore knew that fact, but had to lie to Harry because it was inappropriate to let him know that he had one of Voldemort's soul fragments at the moment. Is that right? Or was it truly the pure soul of Harry's...

star trek - Warning regarding forward saucer section in Nemesis?

In Star Trek: Nemesis , just before the Enterprise rams into the Scimitar, Picard sends a text message from his captain's chair arm pad to Troi — who is manning the helm in lieu of the crewman who was just blown out through what was once the view screen — indicating that she should put full impulse on standby. (Literally, if you watch the scene closely, Troi's console prefaces the order with "TXT MSG" !) My question is: Did Picard also somehow warn crew members in the forward saucer section about what was about to happen? The ramming of the Scimitar was a heat of the moment decision. Considering that he also resorted to calling the auto-destruct sequence shortly after (which ended up being offline), he probably was of the mindset that any losses would be acceptable in order to hault Shinzon's march to Earth. Still, I'm curious. Answer The original script indicates that he called for the crew to " brace for impact ". Whether that call (or the comma...