Skip to main content

harry potter - Why did Quirrell stutter?


Why did Quirrell stutter?


Was it an act?


His natural way?


Was it due to effects of carrying around Voldemort in the back of his head, under the turban?



Answer




I agree with System Down who claims it was an act. Let's see some quotes.


In PS chapter 17, when Harry finally meets Quirrel in the stone's hiding place.



It was Quirrel.


‘You!’ gasped Harry.


Quirrel smiled. His face wasn't twitching at all.


‘Me,’ he said calmly. ‘I wondered whether I'd be meeting you here, Potter.’


‘But I thought – Snape –’


‘Severus?’ Quirrel laughed and it wasn't his usual quivering treble, either, but cold and sharp. ‘Yes, Severus does seem that type, doesn't he? So useful to have him swooping around like an overgrown bat. Next to him, who would suspect p-p-poor st-stuttering P-Professor Quirrel?’




It's clear that Quirrel has been using stuttering as an act to divert attention from himself, and is giving it up at this point.


I must respectfully disagree with Purefreet who claims Quirrel wasn't stuttering here because Voldemort was in control of him at this point, because he is speaking for himself. Quirrel has a spoken aloud conversation with Voldemort, saying things like ‘Help me, Master!’ and ‘Master, you are not strong enough!’, with Voldemort also replying aloud.




We also learn when Quirrel had started the act. In PS chapter 5, Hagrid says:



‘[…] Even Professor Quirrel was tremblin' ter meet yeh – mind you, he's usually tremblin'.’


‘Is he always that nervous?’


‘Oh, yeah. Poor bloke. Brilliant mind. He was fine while he was studyin' outta books but then he took a year off ter get some frist-hand experience … They say he met vampires in the Black Forest and there was a nasty bit o' trouble with a hag – never been the same since. […]’



Then later, in chapter 17, Quirrel says




‘I met him [Voldemort] when I travelled around the world. A foolish young man I was then, full of riddiculous ideas about good and evil. Lord Voldemort showed me how wrong I was. There is no good and evil, there is only power, and those too weak to seek it … Since then, I have served him faithfully, […] When I failed to steal the Stone from Gringotts, he was most displeased. He punished me … decided he would have to keep a closer watch on me …’



The year off and travelling around the world clearly refers to the same trip. Quirrel meets Voldemort and starts serving him immediately. He takes up the act of trembling and stuttering. He tells the lie that he's met vampires to explain the change: in PS chapter 8 we learn that



[Quirrel's] classroom smelled strongly of garlic, which everyone said to ward off a vampire he'd met in Romania and was afraid would be coming back to get him one of these days. […] for another, they had noticed that a funny smell hung around the turban, and the Weasley twins insisted that it was stuffed full of garlic as well, so that Quirrel was protected wherever he went.



Quirrel has never actually met vampires. He wasn't serving Voldemort just out of fear, and Voldemort occasionally punishing him wasn't enough reason for him to genuinely tremble of fear all of the time.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

languages - Do we ever see written English in the Star Wars films?

In Empire Strikes Back , we see a transcription of what R2's beeps and bloops mean, but it's not English (sorry for the low quality, it's from the 2004 DVDs): I'd assume it's what Basic looks like when written, but is there some point in the the Star Wars films we see written English instead? (This sort of spun off from a discussion in How do people understand astromech droids? .) Answer At one point there was English but it has been phased out in subsequent versions of the films. Chris Gould at DVD Active did a comparison of all versions of each of the Star Wars films, and in his comparison of Episode 4 , there are a couple of screenshots showing how the power gauge for the Death Star tractor beam was changed. I imagine there are probably more to be found in his other comparisons but I haven't got around to reading those yet.

Was the "pure soul" of Harry's what had really hurt Voldemort?

In the Order of the Phoenix, Voldemort possesses Harry, and it hurts. Greatly. I think that Dumbledore explained that it was because Voldemort's rotten soul was incapable of assimilating Harry's pure soul, that Voldemort didn't understand the love and friendship etc that Harry has in his heart. But, I think it was a lie. Remember that in Deathly Hallows, while looking for information regarding Horcruxes, it is discovered that it is in fact possible to merge a soul fragment back, but that the process was extremely painful. Now then, if Voldemort tried to possess Harry, and Harry had a fragment of Voldemort's soul, I think that it could have been the true cause of Voldemort's pain: the fact of having his soul so close of another fragment. I think that Dumbledore knew that fact, but had to lie to Harry because it was inappropriate to let him know that he had one of Voldemort's soul fragments at the moment. Is that right? Or was it truly the pure soul of Harry's...

star wars - What "exactly" happens when someone turns to the Dark Side?

When I saw the original Star Wars saga as a kid, the concept of the Dark Side imprinted in me was quite simple. You did a bad thing, so you're a bad person so you go to the Dark Side and keep doing bad things. Now, obviously this doesn't hold true in reality. In my mind it is perfectly reasonable for Luke to kill the Emperor and Vader and then just flee the Death Star and rejoin the Alliance. After all they are at war, those are enemy officers that have captured him and are taunting him by threatening with death of all loved ones and the whole operation was intended to kill the Emperor anyway. The same would hold true for Anakin. He could have killed Mace Windu to save the Chancellor and Padme but that doesn't mean he's going to then go mad and kill all Jedis including children. It doesn't add up from a merely psychological point of view. He had a set of objectives and that made him want to keep the Chancellor alive (quite valid by the way, Mace Windu is quite clums...

star trek - Warning regarding forward saucer section in Nemesis?

In Star Trek: Nemesis , just before the Enterprise rams into the Scimitar, Picard sends a text message from his captain's chair arm pad to Troi — who is manning the helm in lieu of the crewman who was just blown out through what was once the view screen — indicating that she should put full impulse on standby. (Literally, if you watch the scene closely, Troi's console prefaces the order with "TXT MSG" !) My question is: Did Picard also somehow warn crew members in the forward saucer section about what was about to happen? The ramming of the Scimitar was a heat of the moment decision. Considering that he also resorted to calling the auto-destruct sequence shortly after (which ended up being offline), he probably was of the mindset that any losses would be acceptable in order to hault Shinzon's march to Earth. Still, I'm curious. Answer The original script indicates that he called for the crew to " brace for impact ". Whether that call (or the comma...