Skip to main content

childrens novel - What relationship is there between tesseracts in A Wrinkle in Time and the mathematical object?


It's been a long time since I read A Wrinkle in Time, but I remember the heroes using a phenomenon or device called a tessaract to travel across space, kind of like a stargate. I later learned that the word "tesseract" is a real mathematical term and refers to a four-dimensional cube-like object, also sometimes called a hypercube.


I'm not seeing the connection between these two uses of the term. I know physicists were making hypotheses about extra dimensions before A Wrinkle in Time came out, and I can sort of see the connection between extra dimensions and quick travel through three-dimensional space, but I don't see how a four-dimensional cube enters into the equation.


Is there any connection between how "tesseract" is used in A Wrinkle in Time and how it's used in mathematics?



Answer



In L'Engle's book a tesseract is a five dimensional object. It isn't a physical object but an abstraction used to explain a shortcut through spacetime. Three linear dimensions, plus a time dimension, plus a fifth dimension into which to fold the other four to reduce trip times.



Meg sighed. "Just explain it to me."



"Okay," Charles said. "What is the first dimension?"


"Well --- a line: ---"


"Okay. And the second dimension?"


"Well, you'd square the line. A flat square would be in the second dimension"


"And the third?"


"Well, you'd square the second dimension. Then the square wouldn't be flat any more. It would have a bottom and sides, and a top."


"And the fourth?”


"Well, I guess if you want to put it into mathematical terms you"d square the square. But you can't take a pencil and draw it the way you can the first three. I know it's got something to do with Einstein and time. I guess maybe you could call the fourth dimension Time."


"That's right," Charles said. "Good girl. Okay, then, for the fifth dimension you"d square the fourth, wouldn't you?"


"I guess so."



"Well, the fifth dimension's a tesseract. You add that to the other four dimensions and you can travel through space without having to go the long way round. In other words, to put it into Euclid, or old-fashioned plane geometry, a straight line is not the shortest distance between two points."



Outside L'Engle's work a tesseract is the natural extension of a cube to four dimensions, not five.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

languages - Do we ever see written English in the Star Wars films?

In Empire Strikes Back , we see a transcription of what R2's beeps and bloops mean, but it's not English (sorry for the low quality, it's from the 2004 DVDs): I'd assume it's what Basic looks like when written, but is there some point in the the Star Wars films we see written English instead? (This sort of spun off from a discussion in How do people understand astromech droids? .) Answer At one point there was English but it has been phased out in subsequent versions of the films. Chris Gould at DVD Active did a comparison of all versions of each of the Star Wars films, and in his comparison of Episode 4 , there are a couple of screenshots showing how the power gauge for the Death Star tractor beam was changed. I imagine there are probably more to be found in his other comparisons but I haven't got around to reading those yet.

Was the "pure soul" of Harry's what had really hurt Voldemort?

In the Order of the Phoenix, Voldemort possesses Harry, and it hurts. Greatly. I think that Dumbledore explained that it was because Voldemort's rotten soul was incapable of assimilating Harry's pure soul, that Voldemort didn't understand the love and friendship etc that Harry has in his heart. But, I think it was a lie. Remember that in Deathly Hallows, while looking for information regarding Horcruxes, it is discovered that it is in fact possible to merge a soul fragment back, but that the process was extremely painful. Now then, if Voldemort tried to possess Harry, and Harry had a fragment of Voldemort's soul, I think that it could have been the true cause of Voldemort's pain: the fact of having his soul so close of another fragment. I think that Dumbledore knew that fact, but had to lie to Harry because it was inappropriate to let him know that he had one of Voldemort's soul fragments at the moment. Is that right? Or was it truly the pure soul of Harry's...

star wars - What "exactly" happens when someone turns to the Dark Side?

When I saw the original Star Wars saga as a kid, the concept of the Dark Side imprinted in me was quite simple. You did a bad thing, so you're a bad person so you go to the Dark Side and keep doing bad things. Now, obviously this doesn't hold true in reality. In my mind it is perfectly reasonable for Luke to kill the Emperor and Vader and then just flee the Death Star and rejoin the Alliance. After all they are at war, those are enemy officers that have captured him and are taunting him by threatening with death of all loved ones and the whole operation was intended to kill the Emperor anyway. The same would hold true for Anakin. He could have killed Mace Windu to save the Chancellor and Padme but that doesn't mean he's going to then go mad and kill all Jedis including children. It doesn't add up from a merely psychological point of view. He had a set of objectives and that made him want to keep the Chancellor alive (quite valid by the way, Mace Windu is quite clums...

star trek - Warning regarding forward saucer section in Nemesis?

In Star Trek: Nemesis , just before the Enterprise rams into the Scimitar, Picard sends a text message from his captain's chair arm pad to Troi — who is manning the helm in lieu of the crewman who was just blown out through what was once the view screen — indicating that she should put full impulse on standby. (Literally, if you watch the scene closely, Troi's console prefaces the order with "TXT MSG" !) My question is: Did Picard also somehow warn crew members in the forward saucer section about what was about to happen? The ramming of the Scimitar was a heat of the moment decision. Considering that he also resorted to calling the auto-destruct sequence shortly after (which ended up being offline), he probably was of the mindset that any losses would be acceptable in order to hault Shinzon's march to Earth. Still, I'm curious. Answer The original script indicates that he called for the crew to " brace for impact ". Whether that call (or the comma...