Skip to main content

Short story: force field inventor commits suicide


I'm looking for the title of a short story, and hopefully the book which contained it, that I read in the mid- to late-nineties (unfortunately, I don't know how old the book and story themselves were). There's also the possibility that the story was printed in an issue of Asimov or Analog or some similar publication...which doesn't really help much.


I tried Googling for it, but the keywords that I can remember are all so generic that I'm flooded with inaccurate results (and sometimes--shudder--nonfiction).


Here's everything I do remember:


A brilliant, possibly insane, scientist has invented stable force-field technology. However, immediately after developing the theory which would allow such technology to be produced, he becomes fervently suicidal and must be kept under watch at all times.


He insists that his sudden suicidal tendencies must be due to a genetic trigger implanted by some ancient alien race to prevent humans from ever developing any technology which would make us a threat (the world of the story is like ours, with no evidence of alien life). He theorizes that this trigger is why no one has already invented the force field technology.


The story ends with



him successfully testing the forcefield prototype by detonating a bomb in front of an audience (the bomb is contained within the field). Everyone celebrates this scientific triumph, then notice that the inventor is missing. They find him in his office, having committed suicide while everyone was distracted.




I'd appreciate it if anyone can point me in the right direction...there are a bunch of short stories that I half remember which I believe are all from this same book/publication; I'm hoping that locating this one will allow me to find the others and re-read them as an adult.



Answer



Bingo. Got it. Breeds there a man, Asimov from 1951.
Has everything you mentioned.
And the story deliberately leaves it ambiguous about whether there are aliens or whether the scientist is just crazy - with a hint at the end that there may really be aliens.


Breeds there a man (pdf)


Was included in the 1969 collection "Nightfall and other stories"


Summary: The story is about humans being an experiment for some kind of aliens. The aliens control the humans by causing humans to become suicidal if they do something the aliens don't like. The aliens control the whole world, and are pushing humans towards a nuclear war. The force field would be able to stop a war, so the aliens don't want it. At least, all of that is what the scientist believes. At the end, it is implied that he might have been right since an engineer who worked on the project killed himself too.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

languages - Do we ever see written English in the Star Wars films?

In Empire Strikes Back , we see a transcription of what R2's beeps and bloops mean, but it's not English (sorry for the low quality, it's from the 2004 DVDs): I'd assume it's what Basic looks like when written, but is there some point in the the Star Wars films we see written English instead? (This sort of spun off from a discussion in How do people understand astromech droids? .) Answer At one point there was English but it has been phased out in subsequent versions of the films. Chris Gould at DVD Active did a comparison of all versions of each of the Star Wars films, and in his comparison of Episode 4 , there are a couple of screenshots showing how the power gauge for the Death Star tractor beam was changed. I imagine there are probably more to be found in his other comparisons but I haven't got around to reading those yet.

Was the "pure soul" of Harry's what had really hurt Voldemort?

In the Order of the Phoenix, Voldemort possesses Harry, and it hurts. Greatly. I think that Dumbledore explained that it was because Voldemort's rotten soul was incapable of assimilating Harry's pure soul, that Voldemort didn't understand the love and friendship etc that Harry has in his heart. But, I think it was a lie. Remember that in Deathly Hallows, while looking for information regarding Horcruxes, it is discovered that it is in fact possible to merge a soul fragment back, but that the process was extremely painful. Now then, if Voldemort tried to possess Harry, and Harry had a fragment of Voldemort's soul, I think that it could have been the true cause of Voldemort's pain: the fact of having his soul so close of another fragment. I think that Dumbledore knew that fact, but had to lie to Harry because it was inappropriate to let him know that he had one of Voldemort's soul fragments at the moment. Is that right? Or was it truly the pure soul of Harry's...

star wars - What "exactly" happens when someone turns to the Dark Side?

When I saw the original Star Wars saga as a kid, the concept of the Dark Side imprinted in me was quite simple. You did a bad thing, so you're a bad person so you go to the Dark Side and keep doing bad things. Now, obviously this doesn't hold true in reality. In my mind it is perfectly reasonable for Luke to kill the Emperor and Vader and then just flee the Death Star and rejoin the Alliance. After all they are at war, those are enemy officers that have captured him and are taunting him by threatening with death of all loved ones and the whole operation was intended to kill the Emperor anyway. The same would hold true for Anakin. He could have killed Mace Windu to save the Chancellor and Padme but that doesn't mean he's going to then go mad and kill all Jedis including children. It doesn't add up from a merely psychological point of view. He had a set of objectives and that made him want to keep the Chancellor alive (quite valid by the way, Mace Windu is quite clums...

star trek - Warning regarding forward saucer section in Nemesis?

In Star Trek: Nemesis , just before the Enterprise rams into the Scimitar, Picard sends a text message from his captain's chair arm pad to Troi — who is manning the helm in lieu of the crewman who was just blown out through what was once the view screen — indicating that she should put full impulse on standby. (Literally, if you watch the scene closely, Troi's console prefaces the order with "TXT MSG" !) My question is: Did Picard also somehow warn crew members in the forward saucer section about what was about to happen? The ramming of the Scimitar was a heat of the moment decision. Considering that he also resorted to calling the auto-destruct sequence shortly after (which ended up being offline), he probably was of the mindset that any losses would be acceptable in order to hault Shinzon's march to Earth. Still, I'm curious. Answer The original script indicates that he called for the crew to " brace for impact ". Whether that call (or the comma...