Skip to main content

story identification - What is the name of this animated series?


I can remember only a few things regarding the show, as it was long ago, and probably late at night. However, I do remember it had to be a series, because it ended on a cliffhanger, and it was animated, and it was on the T.V. (Edit: I had an antenna, not cable or satellite at the time, so I'm thinking it was on Fox or ABC or CBS or PBS or sommat) sometime between the late 90's and the early 2000's.


I remember the protagonist had something of a metallic/robotic hand, which he used as something of a key to access alien devices and converse with a motorcycle he received during the episode I watched.


The motorcycle looked like an antique out of Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, and would function normally, unless you "knew how to ask". I remember in one chase scene, the protagonist could not get away until he held his hand over something that looked like a glass disk embedded in the gas can, and asked, "Please". Then the motorcycle transformed into a hover bike and got the protagonist out of the tight spot.


I remember the episode ended when he went to something of a below-ground alien house, ship or bunker, but I don't remember much else.


I'm not expecting much, but it's a question that's been gnawing at the back of my mind, for at least a decade or so.



Answer



This would be Invasion America:



https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invasion_America


Actually had some big name voice talent in there, too



However, I do remember it had to be a series, because it ended on a cliffhanger, and it was animated, and it was on the T.V. (Edit: I had an antenna, not cable or satellite at the time, so I'm thinking it was on Fox or ABC or CBS or PBS or sommat) sometime between the late 90's and the early 2000's.



The show aired in 1998, on the WB. The series actually comprised 13 half hour episodes, but were aired in 5 pairs, plus a final episode that ran an hour and a half.



I remember the protagonist had something of a metallic/robotic hand, which he used as something of a key to access alien devices and converse with a motorcycle he received during the episode I watched.



The protagonist was a teenage boy and half-human heir to rulership of an alien species (think Star Lord). He used a special glove to help him control his alien powers.



Edit: Can be found on the youtubes:





There is also an entry on TVTropes (abandon all hope, yadda yadda): http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/WesternAnimation/InvasionAmerica

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

languages - Do we ever see written English in the Star Wars films?

In Empire Strikes Back , we see a transcription of what R2's beeps and bloops mean, but it's not English (sorry for the low quality, it's from the 2004 DVDs): I'd assume it's what Basic looks like when written, but is there some point in the the Star Wars films we see written English instead? (This sort of spun off from a discussion in How do people understand astromech droids? .) Answer At one point there was English but it has been phased out in subsequent versions of the films. Chris Gould at DVD Active did a comparison of all versions of each of the Star Wars films, and in his comparison of Episode 4 , there are a couple of screenshots showing how the power gauge for the Death Star tractor beam was changed. I imagine there are probably more to be found in his other comparisons but I haven't got around to reading those yet.

star wars - What "exactly" happens when someone turns to the Dark Side?

When I saw the original Star Wars saga as a kid, the concept of the Dark Side imprinted in me was quite simple. You did a bad thing, so you're a bad person so you go to the Dark Side and keep doing bad things. Now, obviously this doesn't hold true in reality. In my mind it is perfectly reasonable for Luke to kill the Emperor and Vader and then just flee the Death Star and rejoin the Alliance. After all they are at war, those are enemy officers that have captured him and are taunting him by threatening with death of all loved ones and the whole operation was intended to kill the Emperor anyway. The same would hold true for Anakin. He could have killed Mace Windu to save the Chancellor and Padme but that doesn't mean he's going to then go mad and kill all Jedis including children. It doesn't add up from a merely psychological point of view. He had a set of objectives and that made him want to keep the Chancellor alive (quite valid by the way, Mace Windu is quite clums...

Was the "pure soul" of Harry's what had really hurt Voldemort?

In the Order of the Phoenix, Voldemort possesses Harry, and it hurts. Greatly. I think that Dumbledore explained that it was because Voldemort's rotten soul was incapable of assimilating Harry's pure soul, that Voldemort didn't understand the love and friendship etc that Harry has in his heart. But, I think it was a lie. Remember that in Deathly Hallows, while looking for information regarding Horcruxes, it is discovered that it is in fact possible to merge a soul fragment back, but that the process was extremely painful. Now then, if Voldemort tried to possess Harry, and Harry had a fragment of Voldemort's soul, I think that it could have been the true cause of Voldemort's pain: the fact of having his soul so close of another fragment. I think that Dumbledore knew that fact, but had to lie to Harry because it was inappropriate to let him know that he had one of Voldemort's soul fragments at the moment. Is that right? Or was it truly the pure soul of Harry's...

star trek - Warning regarding forward saucer section in Nemesis?

In Star Trek: Nemesis , just before the Enterprise rams into the Scimitar, Picard sends a text message from his captain's chair arm pad to Troi — who is manning the helm in lieu of the crewman who was just blown out through what was once the view screen — indicating that she should put full impulse on standby. (Literally, if you watch the scene closely, Troi's console prefaces the order with "TXT MSG" !) My question is: Did Picard also somehow warn crew members in the forward saucer section about what was about to happen? The ramming of the Scimitar was a heat of the moment decision. Considering that he also resorted to calling the auto-destruct sequence shortly after (which ended up being offline), he probably was of the mindset that any losses would be acceptable in order to hault Shinzon's march to Earth. Still, I'm curious. Answer The original script indicates that he called for the crew to " brace for impact ". Whether that call (or the comma...