Skip to main content

story identification - Books similar to The Lord of the Rings: dark elves, different gods, Thommas, red-haired woman



This morning I was riding in the train when I heard two fellows discussing an upcoming movie. They likened it to The Lord of the Rings with orcs and elves and (I think) magicians etc. They also mentioned that it is a story that originally appears in books. I've been trying to figure out what books these are, because I am interested in potentially reading them.



Below are all the details I can recall:



  • There are elves, similar to the elves in The Lord of the Rings, but these are dark elves. (They mentioned they can reuse the elves from lord of the rings when making the movie and just color the hair black)

  • Also, there was something of red elves that may or may not be included in the story

  • Pretty sure there is magic related to the story in one form or another

  • There was something about different gods (e.g. god of chaos, god of x, god of y, etc.) which may or may not still exist

  • They mentioned the name Thommas a few times in a way that makes me think he is one of the main characters

  • They mentioned something about some bloke (may or may not be the Thommas fellow mentioned above) being stuck somewhere eternally fighting something, or his body being stuck there or some similar plot

  • They mentioned orcs, but I'm not sure whether or not this is included in the story or part of the discussion about Lord of the Rings



Like I said, I heard this from 2 blokes in the train, and I was not about to walk up to them and ask what story they are discussing. I hope I've gathered enough details for someone to help me identify the story.




Oh, I just recalled one last thing. There was something about a queen or some other important woman who is apparently a red head.



Answer



This sounds like Raymond Feist's Magician (and other books by him set in the same world). There are "dark elves" (aka moredhel) and many different gods. One of the two main characters, named Tomas, gets stuck with an ancient being inside his body which he's eternally fighting.


I haven't heard anything about this book being made into a film though, so it could be something completely different.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Was the "pure soul" of Harry's what had really hurt Voldemort?

In the Order of the Phoenix, Voldemort possesses Harry, and it hurts. Greatly. I think that Dumbledore explained that it was because Voldemort's rotten soul was incapable of assimilating Harry's pure soul, that Voldemort didn't understand the love and friendship etc that Harry has in his heart. But, I think it was a lie. Remember that in Deathly Hallows, while looking for information regarding Horcruxes, it is discovered that it is in fact possible to merge a soul fragment back, but that the process was extremely painful. Now then, if Voldemort tried to possess Harry, and Harry had a fragment of Voldemort's soul, I think that it could have been the true cause of Voldemort's pain: the fact of having his soul so close of another fragment. I think that Dumbledore knew that fact, but had to lie to Harry because it was inappropriate to let him know that he had one of Voldemort's soul fragments at the moment. Is that right? Or was it truly the pure soul of Harry's...

languages - Do we ever see written English in the Star Wars films?

In Empire Strikes Back , we see a transcription of what R2's beeps and bloops mean, but it's not English (sorry for the low quality, it's from the 2004 DVDs): I'd assume it's what Basic looks like when written, but is there some point in the the Star Wars films we see written English instead? (This sort of spun off from a discussion in How do people understand astromech droids? .) Answer At one point there was English but it has been phased out in subsequent versions of the films. Chris Gould at DVD Active did a comparison of all versions of each of the Star Wars films, and in his comparison of Episode 4 , there are a couple of screenshots showing how the power gauge for the Death Star tractor beam was changed. I imagine there are probably more to be found in his other comparisons but I haven't got around to reading those yet.

star wars - What "exactly" happens when someone turns to the Dark Side?

When I saw the original Star Wars saga as a kid, the concept of the Dark Side imprinted in me was quite simple. You did a bad thing, so you're a bad person so you go to the Dark Side and keep doing bad things. Now, obviously this doesn't hold true in reality. In my mind it is perfectly reasonable for Luke to kill the Emperor and Vader and then just flee the Death Star and rejoin the Alliance. After all they are at war, those are enemy officers that have captured him and are taunting him by threatening with death of all loved ones and the whole operation was intended to kill the Emperor anyway. The same would hold true for Anakin. He could have killed Mace Windu to save the Chancellor and Padme but that doesn't mean he's going to then go mad and kill all Jedis including children. It doesn't add up from a merely psychological point of view. He had a set of objectives and that made him want to keep the Chancellor alive (quite valid by the way, Mace Windu is quite clums...

star trek - Warning regarding forward saucer section in Nemesis?

In Star Trek: Nemesis , just before the Enterprise rams into the Scimitar, Picard sends a text message from his captain's chair arm pad to Troi — who is manning the helm in lieu of the crewman who was just blown out through what was once the view screen — indicating that she should put full impulse on standby. (Literally, if you watch the scene closely, Troi's console prefaces the order with "TXT MSG" !) My question is: Did Picard also somehow warn crew members in the forward saucer section about what was about to happen? The ramming of the Scimitar was a heat of the moment decision. Considering that he also resorted to calling the auto-destruct sequence shortly after (which ended up being offline), he probably was of the mindset that any losses would be acceptable in order to hault Shinzon's march to Earth. Still, I'm curious. Answer The original script indicates that he called for the crew to " brace for impact ". Whether that call (or the comma...