Skip to main content

story identification - What book has tall transparent cylindrical column-shaped aliens defending massive mega-structures?


I registered to ask for some help identifying a book. It was likely the very first space opera / science fiction novel I read, but I was a pre-teen/early teen exploring my older siblings' bookshelves so I have no memory about its name. I was 8-10, so it must have been older than 1996-98.


It was full of suspense and entire passages where I was trembling with fear. While I remember very little about the plot and the setting, I vividly recall my feelings and images while reading the about the first encounter with these strangest sentient beings.


The main characters of the novel were exploring a strange world of very vast emptiness between massive, miles-wide and complex fortresses/space-bases - one of which they try to infiltrate.


The villain aliens are very tall transparent perfect cylindrical column-like beings emitting some light; some parts of their insides can also be seen (the equivalent of a "heart") and maybe reflected the mood of these beings.



There were different types of aliens. Either they were the same species and not uniform or there were different "classes" - some were just servants (and may have been more "solid", silver-like orbs) whereas the most important rulers were more gaseous. Either way they were an advanced civilization and had to be infiltrated and defeated.


I wish I could find this novel again... I tried Googling the species but found nothing.


Any idea what this might have been, and what its name was?


UPDATES: Thanks for everyone's comments and answers so far. Appreciate that you looked into it... but none of them are the one I meant :( I never imagined this was such an obscure and unknown book!


There are many similarities with the books/novels you pointed out, but I am quite sure of one feature: it was space opera/futuristic science fiction and potentially also involved some space travel by the main characters. I vaguely remember some elements of a "Hobbits in Mordor" style ending, i.e. the main characters are a small party traveling to this world/planet and need to explore and infiltrate the world to destroy the extremely more technologically advanced enemy (If I correctly recall, they ultimately do).




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

languages - Do we ever see written English in the Star Wars films?

In Empire Strikes Back , we see a transcription of what R2's beeps and bloops mean, but it's not English (sorry for the low quality, it's from the 2004 DVDs): I'd assume it's what Basic looks like when written, but is there some point in the the Star Wars films we see written English instead? (This sort of spun off from a discussion in How do people understand astromech droids? .) Answer At one point there was English but it has been phased out in subsequent versions of the films. Chris Gould at DVD Active did a comparison of all versions of each of the Star Wars films, and in his comparison of Episode 4 , there are a couple of screenshots showing how the power gauge for the Death Star tractor beam was changed. I imagine there are probably more to be found in his other comparisons but I haven't got around to reading those yet.

Was the "pure soul" of Harry's what had really hurt Voldemort?

In the Order of the Phoenix, Voldemort possesses Harry, and it hurts. Greatly. I think that Dumbledore explained that it was because Voldemort's rotten soul was incapable of assimilating Harry's pure soul, that Voldemort didn't understand the love and friendship etc that Harry has in his heart. But, I think it was a lie. Remember that in Deathly Hallows, while looking for information regarding Horcruxes, it is discovered that it is in fact possible to merge a soul fragment back, but that the process was extremely painful. Now then, if Voldemort tried to possess Harry, and Harry had a fragment of Voldemort's soul, I think that it could have been the true cause of Voldemort's pain: the fact of having his soul so close of another fragment. I think that Dumbledore knew that fact, but had to lie to Harry because it was inappropriate to let him know that he had one of Voldemort's soul fragments at the moment. Is that right? Or was it truly the pure soul of Harry's...

star wars - What "exactly" happens when someone turns to the Dark Side?

When I saw the original Star Wars saga as a kid, the concept of the Dark Side imprinted in me was quite simple. You did a bad thing, so you're a bad person so you go to the Dark Side and keep doing bad things. Now, obviously this doesn't hold true in reality. In my mind it is perfectly reasonable for Luke to kill the Emperor and Vader and then just flee the Death Star and rejoin the Alliance. After all they are at war, those are enemy officers that have captured him and are taunting him by threatening with death of all loved ones and the whole operation was intended to kill the Emperor anyway. The same would hold true for Anakin. He could have killed Mace Windu to save the Chancellor and Padme but that doesn't mean he's going to then go mad and kill all Jedis including children. It doesn't add up from a merely psychological point of view. He had a set of objectives and that made him want to keep the Chancellor alive (quite valid by the way, Mace Windu is quite clums...

star trek - Warning regarding forward saucer section in Nemesis?

In Star Trek: Nemesis , just before the Enterprise rams into the Scimitar, Picard sends a text message from his captain's chair arm pad to Troi — who is manning the helm in lieu of the crewman who was just blown out through what was once the view screen — indicating that she should put full impulse on standby. (Literally, if you watch the scene closely, Troi's console prefaces the order with "TXT MSG" !) My question is: Did Picard also somehow warn crew members in the forward saucer section about what was about to happen? The ramming of the Scimitar was a heat of the moment decision. Considering that he also resorted to calling the auto-destruct sequence shortly after (which ended up being offline), he probably was of the mindset that any losses would be acceptable in order to hault Shinzon's march to Earth. Still, I'm curious. Answer The original script indicates that he called for the crew to " brace for impact ". Whether that call (or the comma...