Skip to main content

What are the different ways that Spider-Man makes webs in the comics?


I've never really followed the comics too religiously, but I've read a few issues here and there, and a few of the spin-offs.


I recall one explanation of Spider-Man's webs as being an invention of brilliant student Peter Parker, which he strapped onto his wrists to fire a sticky webbing of a chemical composition he developed.


I also seem to recall him being able to use webs without relying on his home-made web cartridges. Some of that may have been while using the alien symbiote costume, but I'm not certain that's the only time I've seen him able to sling webs without a mechanical device (in comics only).


I also believe I've seen a fair variation in what types of webs Spider-Man can make, ranging from simple strands, to projectile-like balls, to full formed nets. I may be confusing some of this with movies, video games, or even the Marvel pen-and-paper RPG, but I believe most if not all of these have made some appearances in comics.


Given all the various Spider-Man titles, what are the various sources and types of webbing that the comic-book super-hero has been able to use?



Answer



Spidey has been able to make webs in a number of different ways. Okay, actually, technically, two different ways. He can make it with web shooters or without web shooters. But the sheer number of ways he's varied on these two options is pretty impressive.


First, there's the original way, his web-shooters:


Spidey's web shooter image



Ben Reiley, the maybe-clone-maybe-original-dear-god-don't-explainScarlet Spider modified this design into a top-of-the wrist version, and added a new feature: impact webbing. Tiny web capsules that burst on impact, able to encase a target.


They had other uses


It's certainly possible that his 'top of wrist' web shooter design was inspired by his (in)famous black suit.


Stylin!


In reality, this suit was a symbiote that enhanced his powers and created webbing. Venom, the symbiote bonded with Eddie Brock, would keep this ability, and shoot seemingly-infinite amounts of web from the top of his wrists.


Later, Peter Parker had a mutation-rebirth-spider-totem thing where he mutated into a giant spider, which then died and he burst out of its corpse. This...happened. The upside of it is, he gained the ability (inspired by the 2002 movie) to shoot webbing organically, without web-shooters.


I...there are no words


Notably, this was actually not an idea the movie came up with by itself. Miguel O'Hara, the Spider-man of 2099, had organic webshooters as well.


Awesome costume, brah!


Interestingly, when Tony Stark built the Iron Spider armor for his good buddy Peter (and later gave it to several other people to hunt down that traitor Peter), he didn't do anything for webbing. Instead, the armor was just configured to allow webbing to pass through a custom-built port. I suppose he didn't feel the need to mess with success.



Last but not least Miles Morales, the current Ultimate Spider-Man, didn't originally have webbing. He was later given the webshooters of the deceased Peter Parker, and then upgraded to a new set provided by SHIELD. Functionally, his webbing is identical to '616' (normal Marvel Universe) Spidey's.


Step 1, cut a hole in a box? Oh no, just web-shooters. WEB shooters


In general, web shooters (organic or technological) have all been able to do a few things:



  • shoot thin lines of webbing

  • produce wide webs (used as either nets or quick webs between buildings to catch falling things/people)

  • fire impact webbing (after Ben "Let's not discuss clones" Reiley invented it, others picked it up) (technological only, I don't think Venom or Parker w/ organic webs uses it)

  • Produce a thick web 'gloop' that could be shaped into things like shields or, in one case, a hang glider

  • fire specialty webbing (technological only) - Spidey has on occasion produced special types of webbing for specific opponents (such as more/less soluble for Hydroman, less conductive for Electro, etc)



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

languages - Do we ever see written English in the Star Wars films?

In Empire Strikes Back , we see a transcription of what R2's beeps and bloops mean, but it's not English (sorry for the low quality, it's from the 2004 DVDs): I'd assume it's what Basic looks like when written, but is there some point in the the Star Wars films we see written English instead? (This sort of spun off from a discussion in How do people understand astromech droids? .) Answer At one point there was English but it has been phased out in subsequent versions of the films. Chris Gould at DVD Active did a comparison of all versions of each of the Star Wars films, and in his comparison of Episode 4 , there are a couple of screenshots showing how the power gauge for the Death Star tractor beam was changed. I imagine there are probably more to be found in his other comparisons but I haven't got around to reading those yet.

Was the "pure soul" of Harry's what had really hurt Voldemort?

In the Order of the Phoenix, Voldemort possesses Harry, and it hurts. Greatly. I think that Dumbledore explained that it was because Voldemort's rotten soul was incapable of assimilating Harry's pure soul, that Voldemort didn't understand the love and friendship etc that Harry has in his heart. But, I think it was a lie. Remember that in Deathly Hallows, while looking for information regarding Horcruxes, it is discovered that it is in fact possible to merge a soul fragment back, but that the process was extremely painful. Now then, if Voldemort tried to possess Harry, and Harry had a fragment of Voldemort's soul, I think that it could have been the true cause of Voldemort's pain: the fact of having his soul so close of another fragment. I think that Dumbledore knew that fact, but had to lie to Harry because it was inappropriate to let him know that he had one of Voldemort's soul fragments at the moment. Is that right? Or was it truly the pure soul of Harry's...

star wars - What "exactly" happens when someone turns to the Dark Side?

When I saw the original Star Wars saga as a kid, the concept of the Dark Side imprinted in me was quite simple. You did a bad thing, so you're a bad person so you go to the Dark Side and keep doing bad things. Now, obviously this doesn't hold true in reality. In my mind it is perfectly reasonable for Luke to kill the Emperor and Vader and then just flee the Death Star and rejoin the Alliance. After all they are at war, those are enemy officers that have captured him and are taunting him by threatening with death of all loved ones and the whole operation was intended to kill the Emperor anyway. The same would hold true for Anakin. He could have killed Mace Windu to save the Chancellor and Padme but that doesn't mean he's going to then go mad and kill all Jedis including children. It doesn't add up from a merely psychological point of view. He had a set of objectives and that made him want to keep the Chancellor alive (quite valid by the way, Mace Windu is quite clums...

star trek - Warning regarding forward saucer section in Nemesis?

In Star Trek: Nemesis , just before the Enterprise rams into the Scimitar, Picard sends a text message from his captain's chair arm pad to Troi — who is manning the helm in lieu of the crewman who was just blown out through what was once the view screen — indicating that she should put full impulse on standby. (Literally, if you watch the scene closely, Troi's console prefaces the order with "TXT MSG" !) My question is: Did Picard also somehow warn crew members in the forward saucer section about what was about to happen? The ramming of the Scimitar was a heat of the moment decision. Considering that he also resorted to calling the auto-destruct sequence shortly after (which ended up being offline), he probably was of the mindset that any losses would be acceptable in order to hault Shinzon's march to Earth. Still, I'm curious. Answer The original script indicates that he called for the crew to " brace for impact ". Whether that call (or the comma...