Skip to main content

star wars - SW prequel Yoda: "Attachment leads to jealousy, the shadow of greed, that is". What does this line mean?



In Star Wars Episode 3, Revenge of the Sith, there's a scene where Anakin and Yoda are sitting in that little meditation room (with the horizontal shades over the windows) and discussing the meaning of Anakin's recent premonitions of "someone" (Padme) dying. Yoda gives Anakin a piece of advice that starts out quite wise, but then, for me, skews off into nonsense.



Yoda: "These visions you have ..."



Anakin: "They are of pain, suffering ... death."


...


Yoda: "Careful you must be when sensing the future, Anakin! The fear of loss is a path to the Dark Side."


Anakin: "I won't let my visions come true, Master Yoda."


Yoda: "Rejoice for those around us who transform into the Force. Mourn them, do not. Miss them, do not. Attachment leads to jealousy, the shadow of greed, that is."


Anakin: "What must I do, Master Yoda?"


Yoda: "Train yourself to let go of everything you fear to lose."



The bold words are the parts that I find to make little sense or have little relevance to the problem Anakin is trying to seek help for.


Now, I understand that certain George-Lucas-isms have been injected into this speech, but maybe I'm the one who just fails to understand the meaning?



First of all, how is fearing for a loved one a path to evil? Isn't that precisely what makes a tragic hero tragic? It may be harkening back to the Phantom Menace's "Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering" line, but even that is gibberish.


My biggest problem is the "attachment leads to jealousy" line. Now, I've put a LOT of thought into trying to understand this, but I've come up empty each time. According to Lucas, the Jedi are similar to Buddhist monks, so I looked up "attachment in Buddhism" and discovered that it means something very different to the Western world's definition of attachment.


We Westerners see 'attachment' as synonymous to a bond, a relationship or even love. Buddhism defines it as ... well, something confusing to me. One definition is that it is "clinging", another, that it is "craving" and then another that says something about "becoming" ... I have no good idea what any of this means or how it relates to Anakin Skywalker, or greed, or jealousy.


Then there's the "letting go of what you fear to lose" part. This sounds, a lot, like Yoda is saying, "Well, Anakin, to spare yourself the pain of grief, you should just cut this person out of your life and forget them. Let them go before he/she dies!" I would assume that he means to learn to let Padme go after she dies, but the wording of "train yourself to let go of everything you fear to lose" is so darn vague and sounds like Yoda is talking about "letting go" while Padme is still alive. Isn't that a little cold?


Does anyone know what is going on in this scene? :P




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Was the "pure soul" of Harry's what had really hurt Voldemort?

In the Order of the Phoenix, Voldemort possesses Harry, and it hurts. Greatly. I think that Dumbledore explained that it was because Voldemort's rotten soul was incapable of assimilating Harry's pure soul, that Voldemort didn't understand the love and friendship etc that Harry has in his heart. But, I think it was a lie. Remember that in Deathly Hallows, while looking for information regarding Horcruxes, it is discovered that it is in fact possible to merge a soul fragment back, but that the process was extremely painful. Now then, if Voldemort tried to possess Harry, and Harry had a fragment of Voldemort's soul, I think that it could have been the true cause of Voldemort's pain: the fact of having his soul so close of another fragment. I think that Dumbledore knew that fact, but had to lie to Harry because it was inappropriate to let him know that he had one of Voldemort's soul fragments at the moment. Is that right? Or was it truly the pure soul of Harry's...

languages - Do we ever see written English in the Star Wars films?

In Empire Strikes Back , we see a transcription of what R2's beeps and bloops mean, but it's not English (sorry for the low quality, it's from the 2004 DVDs): I'd assume it's what Basic looks like when written, but is there some point in the the Star Wars films we see written English instead? (This sort of spun off from a discussion in How do people understand astromech droids? .) Answer At one point there was English but it has been phased out in subsequent versions of the films. Chris Gould at DVD Active did a comparison of all versions of each of the Star Wars films, and in his comparison of Episode 4 , there are a couple of screenshots showing how the power gauge for the Death Star tractor beam was changed. I imagine there are probably more to be found in his other comparisons but I haven't got around to reading those yet.

star wars - What "exactly" happens when someone turns to the Dark Side?

When I saw the original Star Wars saga as a kid, the concept of the Dark Side imprinted in me was quite simple. You did a bad thing, so you're a bad person so you go to the Dark Side and keep doing bad things. Now, obviously this doesn't hold true in reality. In my mind it is perfectly reasonable for Luke to kill the Emperor and Vader and then just flee the Death Star and rejoin the Alliance. After all they are at war, those are enemy officers that have captured him and are taunting him by threatening with death of all loved ones and the whole operation was intended to kill the Emperor anyway. The same would hold true for Anakin. He could have killed Mace Windu to save the Chancellor and Padme but that doesn't mean he's going to then go mad and kill all Jedis including children. It doesn't add up from a merely psychological point of view. He had a set of objectives and that made him want to keep the Chancellor alive (quite valid by the way, Mace Windu is quite clums...

star trek - Warning regarding forward saucer section in Nemesis?

In Star Trek: Nemesis , just before the Enterprise rams into the Scimitar, Picard sends a text message from his captain's chair arm pad to Troi — who is manning the helm in lieu of the crewman who was just blown out through what was once the view screen — indicating that she should put full impulse on standby. (Literally, if you watch the scene closely, Troi's console prefaces the order with "TXT MSG" !) My question is: Did Picard also somehow warn crew members in the forward saucer section about what was about to happen? The ramming of the Scimitar was a heat of the moment decision. Considering that he also resorted to calling the auto-destruct sequence shortly after (which ended up being offline), he probably was of the mindset that any losses would be acceptable in order to hault Shinzon's march to Earth. Still, I'm curious. Answer The original script indicates that he called for the crew to " brace for impact ". Whether that call (or the comma...