Skip to main content

story identification - Animation movie (80's-90's) with brain-sucking insects


I'm looking for a movie I've seen as a kid, the details are foggy and sparse but I'll try my best following the guide:



  • What is it?: An animated movie.

  • Tell us what it isn't: It is not Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind.

  • Tell us what made it memorable: A planet where some brain-sucking insect-like aliens live, also an old bald man lives on the same planet.


  • When did you see this film?: Late 80's, early 90's.

  • How old was it?: If I've seen the movie on TV in Spain, is a pretty safe bet that it will be at least 5 years old.

  • Was it part of a series?: I don't think so.

  • Plot: No clue, sorry.

  • What language was it in?: The movie was dubbed to Spanish (Spain).


No detail is too insignificant



  • What details can I recall?:


    • Sci-Fi story with one character being an old bald man living on a planet where some insect-ish aliens can open your skull and suck your brain.

    • Habitat of those insect-ish foes was depicted in light blue colors, I kinda remember giant mushrooms as well.

    • A young boy befriends the old baldie, the boy came to the planet with some adults.



  • Other details I'm not completely sure (maybe my mind is filling the gaps):

    • I think that the movie was drawn using rotoscoping, not 100% sure though.

    • I cannot remember which year I've seen the movie, but it should be late 80's or early 90's.

    • I'm pretty sure that I've seen the movie in Spanish TV (not rented videotape).


    • Somehow the young boy was the young version of the old baldie (time travel?).

    • The old man lives in a wood house near the brain-sucking insect habitat, as many old man does he spend his time on the porch.




Try to offer unique details


As anyone would expect from this kind of movie, there's a scene where the alien insects attack a group of people trying to suck their brains. A young boy was with those adults and survived with injuries in his head.


The old bald man have some surgery in his head due to an attack he suffered years before.



Answer



Using the web page What is my Movie? and using the keywords animation+movie+insect+brains I scrolled down and look at something that could resemble that movie.



This is Time Masters (1982).


Insect attack


This is the trailer:





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

languages - Do we ever see written English in the Star Wars films?

In Empire Strikes Back , we see a transcription of what R2's beeps and bloops mean, but it's not English (sorry for the low quality, it's from the 2004 DVDs): I'd assume it's what Basic looks like when written, but is there some point in the the Star Wars films we see written English instead? (This sort of spun off from a discussion in How do people understand astromech droids? .) Answer At one point there was English but it has been phased out in subsequent versions of the films. Chris Gould at DVD Active did a comparison of all versions of each of the Star Wars films, and in his comparison of Episode 4 , there are a couple of screenshots showing how the power gauge for the Death Star tractor beam was changed. I imagine there are probably more to be found in his other comparisons but I haven't got around to reading those yet.

Was the "pure soul" of Harry's what had really hurt Voldemort?

In the Order of the Phoenix, Voldemort possesses Harry, and it hurts. Greatly. I think that Dumbledore explained that it was because Voldemort's rotten soul was incapable of assimilating Harry's pure soul, that Voldemort didn't understand the love and friendship etc that Harry has in his heart. But, I think it was a lie. Remember that in Deathly Hallows, while looking for information regarding Horcruxes, it is discovered that it is in fact possible to merge a soul fragment back, but that the process was extremely painful. Now then, if Voldemort tried to possess Harry, and Harry had a fragment of Voldemort's soul, I think that it could have been the true cause of Voldemort's pain: the fact of having his soul so close of another fragment. I think that Dumbledore knew that fact, but had to lie to Harry because it was inappropriate to let him know that he had one of Voldemort's soul fragments at the moment. Is that right? Or was it truly the pure soul of Harry's...

star wars - What "exactly" happens when someone turns to the Dark Side?

When I saw the original Star Wars saga as a kid, the concept of the Dark Side imprinted in me was quite simple. You did a bad thing, so you're a bad person so you go to the Dark Side and keep doing bad things. Now, obviously this doesn't hold true in reality. In my mind it is perfectly reasonable for Luke to kill the Emperor and Vader and then just flee the Death Star and rejoin the Alliance. After all they are at war, those are enemy officers that have captured him and are taunting him by threatening with death of all loved ones and the whole operation was intended to kill the Emperor anyway. The same would hold true for Anakin. He could have killed Mace Windu to save the Chancellor and Padme but that doesn't mean he's going to then go mad and kill all Jedis including children. It doesn't add up from a merely psychological point of view. He had a set of objectives and that made him want to keep the Chancellor alive (quite valid by the way, Mace Windu is quite clums...

star trek - Warning regarding forward saucer section in Nemesis?

In Star Trek: Nemesis , just before the Enterprise rams into the Scimitar, Picard sends a text message from his captain's chair arm pad to Troi — who is manning the helm in lieu of the crewman who was just blown out through what was once the view screen — indicating that she should put full impulse on standby. (Literally, if you watch the scene closely, Troi's console prefaces the order with "TXT MSG" !) My question is: Did Picard also somehow warn crew members in the forward saucer section about what was about to happen? The ramming of the Scimitar was a heat of the moment decision. Considering that he also resorted to calling the auto-destruct sequence shortly after (which ended up being offline), he probably was of the mindset that any losses would be acceptable in order to hault Shinzon's march to Earth. Still, I'm curious. Answer The original script indicates that he called for the crew to " brace for impact ". Whether that call (or the comma...