Skip to main content

story identification - Childrens fantasy, blind monk leading boy who can control the elements


This is a book I read as a child, so sometime in the 1980's . It was actually a two part book series, both normal novel length. It was a swords and sorcery style setting.


Details are sketchy, but I'll give you what I can remember.


It centred around a boy on a quest against some demon-like villain wizard type character. At some stage a girl was kidnapped and they were off to rescue her ( fairly generic stuff) . I think the girl also had magic powers, healing I think.


This boy could control the weather or elements. He encounters a monk type character who ends up travelling with him and becomes a teacher of sorts. This monk is actually blind, but can still sense his surroundings, DareDevil style. ( I cannot remember if this was a magical ability or just something the monk had developed over time. ). I seem to remember this character had black, reptilian style eyes. There may have been more people travelling with them I don't recall.


I recall the encounter with the main enemy took place on the top of a mountain, this mountain had the top taken off so was perfectly flat. ( I hope I'm not getting muddled with a different book with this detail)


The baddie know the boy could only control the elements if he was exposed to them, so ended up sealing the room he was fighting in so the boy had no contact with the outside. He won through by using a dagger or sword to make a crack in the floor through the protection, giving him enough of a connection with the outside to use his powers. I /think/ he died during this battle, and the girl they were rescuing brought him back to life. ( Or maybe she dies, and was brought back to life somehow)



Answer




It's "Blade of the Poisoner" by Douglas Hill and the sequel, "Master of Fiends".


The group of super-powered individuals are called "Talents", the "Blind monk guy" is called "Scythe", his Talent is being able to see everything even though his eyes are just featureless black marbles. He's an expert swordsman who usually goes around disguised as a blind beggar/monk. There's a woman called "Archer" who has telekinesis; she can control her arrows so they always strike true.


There's a girl who can control people's minds - she uses part of her ability to lock away the protagonist's fear of what has been done to him by the bad guy in the first book.


And then there's Jarrel, the boy who can control elementals. He's the protagonist, and he hasn't come into his power yet. But the Demon-controlling "Master of Fiends" sends his minion "The Poisoner" to eliminate him, because elementals are the only thing that a demon is weak against. The Poisoner signs Jarrel's chest with his magic blade; the Letter he carved there will get bigger over the course of a month until it consumes Jarrel entirely. This is the quest of the first book, to defeat the Poisoner and destroy the blade so Jarrel will survive.


The Talents are given this quest by the Wizard Cryl, who knows that Jarrel's Elemental talent can defeat the Master of Fiends if he has a chance to grow into it.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Was the "pure soul" of Harry's what had really hurt Voldemort?

In the Order of the Phoenix, Voldemort possesses Harry, and it hurts. Greatly. I think that Dumbledore explained that it was because Voldemort's rotten soul was incapable of assimilating Harry's pure soul, that Voldemort didn't understand the love and friendship etc that Harry has in his heart. But, I think it was a lie. Remember that in Deathly Hallows, while looking for information regarding Horcruxes, it is discovered that it is in fact possible to merge a soul fragment back, but that the process was extremely painful. Now then, if Voldemort tried to possess Harry, and Harry had a fragment of Voldemort's soul, I think that it could have been the true cause of Voldemort's pain: the fact of having his soul so close of another fragment. I think that Dumbledore knew that fact, but had to lie to Harry because it was inappropriate to let him know that he had one of Voldemort's soul fragments at the moment. Is that right? Or was it truly the pure soul of Harry's...

languages - Do we ever see written English in the Star Wars films?

In Empire Strikes Back , we see a transcription of what R2's beeps and bloops mean, but it's not English (sorry for the low quality, it's from the 2004 DVDs): I'd assume it's what Basic looks like when written, but is there some point in the the Star Wars films we see written English instead? (This sort of spun off from a discussion in How do people understand astromech droids? .) Answer At one point there was English but it has been phased out in subsequent versions of the films. Chris Gould at DVD Active did a comparison of all versions of each of the Star Wars films, and in his comparison of Episode 4 , there are a couple of screenshots showing how the power gauge for the Death Star tractor beam was changed. I imagine there are probably more to be found in his other comparisons but I haven't got around to reading those yet.

star wars - What "exactly" happens when someone turns to the Dark Side?

When I saw the original Star Wars saga as a kid, the concept of the Dark Side imprinted in me was quite simple. You did a bad thing, so you're a bad person so you go to the Dark Side and keep doing bad things. Now, obviously this doesn't hold true in reality. In my mind it is perfectly reasonable for Luke to kill the Emperor and Vader and then just flee the Death Star and rejoin the Alliance. After all they are at war, those are enemy officers that have captured him and are taunting him by threatening with death of all loved ones and the whole operation was intended to kill the Emperor anyway. The same would hold true for Anakin. He could have killed Mace Windu to save the Chancellor and Padme but that doesn't mean he's going to then go mad and kill all Jedis including children. It doesn't add up from a merely psychological point of view. He had a set of objectives and that made him want to keep the Chancellor alive (quite valid by the way, Mace Windu is quite clums...

star trek - Warning regarding forward saucer section in Nemesis?

In Star Trek: Nemesis , just before the Enterprise rams into the Scimitar, Picard sends a text message from his captain's chair arm pad to Troi — who is manning the helm in lieu of the crewman who was just blown out through what was once the view screen — indicating that she should put full impulse on standby. (Literally, if you watch the scene closely, Troi's console prefaces the order with "TXT MSG" !) My question is: Did Picard also somehow warn crew members in the forward saucer section about what was about to happen? The ramming of the Scimitar was a heat of the moment decision. Considering that he also resorted to calling the auto-destruct sequence shortly after (which ended up being offline), he probably was of the mindset that any losses would be acceptable in order to hault Shinzon's march to Earth. Still, I'm curious. Answer The original script indicates that he called for the crew to " brace for impact ". Whether that call (or the comma...