Skip to main content

story identification - Protagonist in mist/fog in a featureless place


Looking for title / author. A thin book I read in the early '60s. Maybe 100-125 pages.


Protagonist alone in fog/mist in a featureless place. As the book progresses more people show up and are as confused about how they got there as the protagonist. People spend time trying to explore this "non-place". Near the end of the book an explanation is given about some "field", fixed in space which travels over the surface of the earth as the planet rotates. If you're at the focus, you're transported to this non-place.


Thats about all I can remember. I'd love to find this book again and re-read it. It stuck in my mind all these years.



Answer



This is really TheBeardyMan's answer because he pinpointed the novella I was thinking of in a comment above. I'm fairly sure you're thinking of the novella Fiddler's Green by Richard McKenna. The length of the story and the publication date match your description.



This novella appears to be hard to get hold of. I'm fairly sure I read it in the collection Casey Agonistes, and Other Science Fiction and Fantasy Stories but this is long out of print. It's decades since I last read it, but I'll do my best to remember the plot.


The story starts with a group of shipwrecked sailors adrift in a lifeboat and dying of hunger and thirst. They've drawn straws to see who will sacrifice their life to feed the rest, and they're about to kill the loser when one of the group, Kruger, stops them and explains how he thinks they can escape through a portal to another world. The sailors allow themselves to be hypnotised by Kruger, and it works! They find themselves in a dark valley surrounded by mist. When they try to walk out of the valley they somehow find themselves turned around and walking back into the valley again.


As time goes on more people turn up, and it turns out there is a portal sweeping over the Earth's surface. If people are far from civilisation, and an area where the real world is thin, they can get swept up by the portal and transported to the valley. As more people arrive the valley grows and pushes back the mist to get bigger.


But there's a problem. It turns out the Kruger, possibly because of his role in opening the portal did not cross properly. His body appears to be dead, and he exists as a sort of ghost or (as it turns out) minor deity. Also Kruger still suffers the same hunger and thirst that he did in the lifeboat. The story takes a dark turn when Kruger discovers how to quench his thirst.


I was a lot younger and more impressionable when I read the story back in the 70s, but the fact I can remember it forty years later shows how big an impression it made on me. In fact I also loved Mckenna's story "Casey Agonistes" from the same anthology. Sadly Mckenna seems a largely forgotten figure these days.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

languages - Do we ever see written English in the Star Wars films?

In Empire Strikes Back , we see a transcription of what R2's beeps and bloops mean, but it's not English (sorry for the low quality, it's from the 2004 DVDs): I'd assume it's what Basic looks like when written, but is there some point in the the Star Wars films we see written English instead? (This sort of spun off from a discussion in How do people understand astromech droids? .) Answer At one point there was English but it has been phased out in subsequent versions of the films. Chris Gould at DVD Active did a comparison of all versions of each of the Star Wars films, and in his comparison of Episode 4 , there are a couple of screenshots showing how the power gauge for the Death Star tractor beam was changed. I imagine there are probably more to be found in his other comparisons but I haven't got around to reading those yet.

Was the "pure soul" of Harry's what had really hurt Voldemort?

In the Order of the Phoenix, Voldemort possesses Harry, and it hurts. Greatly. I think that Dumbledore explained that it was because Voldemort's rotten soul was incapable of assimilating Harry's pure soul, that Voldemort didn't understand the love and friendship etc that Harry has in his heart. But, I think it was a lie. Remember that in Deathly Hallows, while looking for information regarding Horcruxes, it is discovered that it is in fact possible to merge a soul fragment back, but that the process was extremely painful. Now then, if Voldemort tried to possess Harry, and Harry had a fragment of Voldemort's soul, I think that it could have been the true cause of Voldemort's pain: the fact of having his soul so close of another fragment. I think that Dumbledore knew that fact, but had to lie to Harry because it was inappropriate to let him know that he had one of Voldemort's soul fragments at the moment. Is that right? Or was it truly the pure soul of Harry's...

star wars - What "exactly" happens when someone turns to the Dark Side?

When I saw the original Star Wars saga as a kid, the concept of the Dark Side imprinted in me was quite simple. You did a bad thing, so you're a bad person so you go to the Dark Side and keep doing bad things. Now, obviously this doesn't hold true in reality. In my mind it is perfectly reasonable for Luke to kill the Emperor and Vader and then just flee the Death Star and rejoin the Alliance. After all they are at war, those are enemy officers that have captured him and are taunting him by threatening with death of all loved ones and the whole operation was intended to kill the Emperor anyway. The same would hold true for Anakin. He could have killed Mace Windu to save the Chancellor and Padme but that doesn't mean he's going to then go mad and kill all Jedis including children. It doesn't add up from a merely psychological point of view. He had a set of objectives and that made him want to keep the Chancellor alive (quite valid by the way, Mace Windu is quite clums...

star trek - Warning regarding forward saucer section in Nemesis?

In Star Trek: Nemesis , just before the Enterprise rams into the Scimitar, Picard sends a text message from his captain's chair arm pad to Troi — who is manning the helm in lieu of the crewman who was just blown out through what was once the view screen — indicating that she should put full impulse on standby. (Literally, if you watch the scene closely, Troi's console prefaces the order with "TXT MSG" !) My question is: Did Picard also somehow warn crew members in the forward saucer section about what was about to happen? The ramming of the Scimitar was a heat of the moment decision. Considering that he also resorted to calling the auto-destruct sequence shortly after (which ended up being offline), he probably was of the mindset that any losses would be acceptable in order to hault Shinzon's march to Earth. Still, I'm curious. Answer The original script indicates that he called for the crew to " brace for impact ". Whether that call (or the comma...