Skip to main content

star wars - Why did Admiral Piett allow the Shuttle Tydirium to pass?


Why would Admiral Piett allow a shuttle stolen by the Rebel Alliance to pass?


In Return of the Jedi, the Rebel Alliance use a stolen Lambda-Class Shuttle (Tydirium) to infiltrate the Imperial held moon Endor.



"We have stolen a small Imperial shuttle. Disguised as a cargo ship, and using a secret Imperial code, a strike team will land on the moon and deactivate the shield generator." ―General Crix Madine




It appears that the Imperials have some mechanism of identifying a ship. In Star Wars: Rebels, they are able to identify the Ghost rather than a generic VCX-100 light freighter.


Furthermore, we know the Admiral Correctly Identifies Tydirium:



"Shuttle Tydirium, what is your cargo and destination?" ―Admiral Firmus Piett



In canon, it is unclear whether the Empire was aware that Tydirium was stolen. (Legends there is a high speed pursuit ended with a Rogue Squadron rescue and a hyperspace jump).


I find it hard to believe that the Empire did not notice a valuable Lambda Class shuttle went missing; let alone, one carrying access codes to Endor. If Tydirium was reported as stolen by Rebels; why would they allow it to pass through to Endor:



Darth Vader: Do they have a code clearance?


Admiral Piett: It's an older code, sir, but it checks out. I was about to clear them.




There are a few explanations:


Admiral Piett was in on the Emperor's Plan


I do not see any evidence to support nor debunk this completely. Piett was given direct orders concerning the Rebel Fleet at Endor:



Admiral Piett: I have my orders from the Emperor himself. He has something special planned for them. We only need to keep them from escaping.



Admiral Piett had his own plan


There is no evidence to support this. My theory was that Piett saw the stolen shuttle and figured the Rebels would be easier to capture on Endor rather than while in space and still capable of jumping to hyperspace. His plan is put on hold when Vader tells Piett that HE would deal with them.




Admiral Piett: Shall I hold them?


Darth Vader: No. Leave them to me. I will deal with them myself.



The shuttle's status was not known


There is no evidence to say the canon Imperials knew that the shuttle was stolen. I find this hard to believe as the Lambda class shuttle was usually assigned to an officer or crew for high valued cargo/personnel. I also find it unlikely that a shuttle carrying secret Imperial codes to the Highly secure Endor Base/Death Star II would be left unchecked for more than a few hours. The codes being in Tydirium's computer is from Legends.



Answer



There's no good reason to assume that what Piett says to Vader isn't the absolute and unvarnished truth, something that's borne out by the film's various novelisations.



“It’s an older code, but it checks out,” Piett replied immediately. “I was about to clear them.”
There was no point in lying to the Lord of the Sith. He always knew if you lied; lies sang out to the Dark Lord.



Return of the Jedi: Official Novelisation



and



On the Executor’s bridge, Piett was starting to wonder about Vader’s interest in the shuttle. “Shall I hold them?” he asked.
“No,” Vader answered firmly. “Leave them to me. I will deal with them myself.”


Return of the Jedi: Junior Novelisation



The most recent (and fully canon) novelisation indicates that Piett was entirely unaware that anything was amiss, relying on his underlings to check and pass codes.




“Do they have code clearance?” demands Vader.
Piett doesn’t know, so he gestures to the flight controller, who always prayed he would never have to speak to Vader.
“It’s…an older code, sir, but it checks out,” he reports. “I—I was about to clear them.”
The controller braces himself. He knows what his fate might be if this is the wrong answer.


Return of the Jedi: Beware the Power of the Dark Side!



As to the question of why the Empire hadn't reported the shuttle missing, the novel Moving Target gives us all the info we need to answer that question.



“I’m fine. Where are you?”
“Kothlis,” Luke said, then peered at the hologram he was seeing of her. “Are you wearing an Imperial uniform?”

“I am,” Leia said. “Its previous owner won’t miss it—she’s space dust. Along with her Star Destroyer. Of which the shuttle Tydirium is all that remains.”



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

languages - Do we ever see written English in the Star Wars films?

In Empire Strikes Back , we see a transcription of what R2's beeps and bloops mean, but it's not English (sorry for the low quality, it's from the 2004 DVDs): I'd assume it's what Basic looks like when written, but is there some point in the the Star Wars films we see written English instead? (This sort of spun off from a discussion in How do people understand astromech droids? .) Answer At one point there was English but it has been phased out in subsequent versions of the films. Chris Gould at DVD Active did a comparison of all versions of each of the Star Wars films, and in his comparison of Episode 4 , there are a couple of screenshots showing how the power gauge for the Death Star tractor beam was changed. I imagine there are probably more to be found in his other comparisons but I haven't got around to reading those yet.

Was the "pure soul" of Harry's what had really hurt Voldemort?

In the Order of the Phoenix, Voldemort possesses Harry, and it hurts. Greatly. I think that Dumbledore explained that it was because Voldemort's rotten soul was incapable of assimilating Harry's pure soul, that Voldemort didn't understand the love and friendship etc that Harry has in his heart. But, I think it was a lie. Remember that in Deathly Hallows, while looking for information regarding Horcruxes, it is discovered that it is in fact possible to merge a soul fragment back, but that the process was extremely painful. Now then, if Voldemort tried to possess Harry, and Harry had a fragment of Voldemort's soul, I think that it could have been the true cause of Voldemort's pain: the fact of having his soul so close of another fragment. I think that Dumbledore knew that fact, but had to lie to Harry because it was inappropriate to let him know that he had one of Voldemort's soul fragments at the moment. Is that right? Or was it truly the pure soul of Harry's...

star wars - What "exactly" happens when someone turns to the Dark Side?

When I saw the original Star Wars saga as a kid, the concept of the Dark Side imprinted in me was quite simple. You did a bad thing, so you're a bad person so you go to the Dark Side and keep doing bad things. Now, obviously this doesn't hold true in reality. In my mind it is perfectly reasonable for Luke to kill the Emperor and Vader and then just flee the Death Star and rejoin the Alliance. After all they are at war, those are enemy officers that have captured him and are taunting him by threatening with death of all loved ones and the whole operation was intended to kill the Emperor anyway. The same would hold true for Anakin. He could have killed Mace Windu to save the Chancellor and Padme but that doesn't mean he's going to then go mad and kill all Jedis including children. It doesn't add up from a merely psychological point of view. He had a set of objectives and that made him want to keep the Chancellor alive (quite valid by the way, Mace Windu is quite clums...

star trek - Warning regarding forward saucer section in Nemesis?

In Star Trek: Nemesis , just before the Enterprise rams into the Scimitar, Picard sends a text message from his captain's chair arm pad to Troi — who is manning the helm in lieu of the crewman who was just blown out through what was once the view screen — indicating that she should put full impulse on standby. (Literally, if you watch the scene closely, Troi's console prefaces the order with "TXT MSG" !) My question is: Did Picard also somehow warn crew members in the forward saucer section about what was about to happen? The ramming of the Scimitar was a heat of the moment decision. Considering that he also resorted to calling the auto-destruct sequence shortly after (which ended up being offline), he probably was of the mindset that any losses would be acceptable in order to hault Shinzon's march to Earth. Still, I'm curious. Answer The original script indicates that he called for the crew to " brace for impact ". Whether that call (or the comma...