Skip to main content

story identification - Science fiction book about an alien boy with two hearts


I was reminded of this when reading the title of Is the Doctor's Second Heart artificial? of a book I read as a child, somewhere in the late 1980s to the early 1990s in Ashland, Kentucky. It was a paperback, checked out from the library, that I think had a young boy on the cover, maybe with black hair, with lightning flashing in the background. It was of a pretty typical length for a paperback, somewhere between 100 and 200 pages.


The premise was that an alien boy is taken in by a family on Earth. I don't remember why he was on Earth or how he got there. I want to say he had dark hair with a white streak. His main peculiarity was that he had two hearts, something that I believe was verified in the book by them listening at his chest and hearing both beating. I think he had some ability to control electricity, part of what was depicted on the cover. Something happens which makes his heart stop (possibly tied to the aforementioned lightning) and they think he's dead, but then the second heart starts beating and he comes back to life).


Unfortunately, the only other thing I remember is a vague idea that the title was something like "The Boy with Two Hearts", but there's no such book on ISFDB, and it's not this one, which comes up when I Google search for that title.




Answer



The Boy Who Saved Earth by Jim Slater.


Summary:



He came from another planet. Unfortunately he did not come alone… When evil alien forces attack Earth and intend to destroy it, Marcou – the 14-year old from outer space – must use his telepathic powers and ultra ray secret weapon to try to stop them.



One of the Goodreads reviewers says:



I remember reading this as a kid back in the 90s. Although I don't remember much about the plot anymore (except that he saved Earth, of course), I remember enjoying reading this book and giving me a taste of what sci-fi has to offer and for that I always appreciate this book. This is probably out of print now but I was prompted to look up this book here on Goodreads after seeing a picture of two hearts in an alien somewhere on the web because the alien boy has two hearts! I also, for some reason, have never forgotten the last line of this book which is "grass might grow on Gundra (the home planet of the boy)."




And the cover from Amazon fits perfectly!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

languages - Do we ever see written English in the Star Wars films?

In Empire Strikes Back , we see a transcription of what R2's beeps and bloops mean, but it's not English (sorry for the low quality, it's from the 2004 DVDs): I'd assume it's what Basic looks like when written, but is there some point in the the Star Wars films we see written English instead? (This sort of spun off from a discussion in How do people understand astromech droids? .) Answer At one point there was English but it has been phased out in subsequent versions of the films. Chris Gould at DVD Active did a comparison of all versions of each of the Star Wars films, and in his comparison of Episode 4 , there are a couple of screenshots showing how the power gauge for the Death Star tractor beam was changed. I imagine there are probably more to be found in his other comparisons but I haven't got around to reading those yet.

star wars - What "exactly" happens when someone turns to the Dark Side?

When I saw the original Star Wars saga as a kid, the concept of the Dark Side imprinted in me was quite simple. You did a bad thing, so you're a bad person so you go to the Dark Side and keep doing bad things. Now, obviously this doesn't hold true in reality. In my mind it is perfectly reasonable for Luke to kill the Emperor and Vader and then just flee the Death Star and rejoin the Alliance. After all they are at war, those are enemy officers that have captured him and are taunting him by threatening with death of all loved ones and the whole operation was intended to kill the Emperor anyway. The same would hold true for Anakin. He could have killed Mace Windu to save the Chancellor and Padme but that doesn't mean he's going to then go mad and kill all Jedis including children. It doesn't add up from a merely psychological point of view. He had a set of objectives and that made him want to keep the Chancellor alive (quite valid by the way, Mace Windu is quite clums...

Was the "pure soul" of Harry's what had really hurt Voldemort?

In the Order of the Phoenix, Voldemort possesses Harry, and it hurts. Greatly. I think that Dumbledore explained that it was because Voldemort's rotten soul was incapable of assimilating Harry's pure soul, that Voldemort didn't understand the love and friendship etc that Harry has in his heart. But, I think it was a lie. Remember that in Deathly Hallows, while looking for information regarding Horcruxes, it is discovered that it is in fact possible to merge a soul fragment back, but that the process was extremely painful. Now then, if Voldemort tried to possess Harry, and Harry had a fragment of Voldemort's soul, I think that it could have been the true cause of Voldemort's pain: the fact of having his soul so close of another fragment. I think that Dumbledore knew that fact, but had to lie to Harry because it was inappropriate to let him know that he had one of Voldemort's soul fragments at the moment. Is that right? Or was it truly the pure soul of Harry's...

star trek - Warning regarding forward saucer section in Nemesis?

In Star Trek: Nemesis , just before the Enterprise rams into the Scimitar, Picard sends a text message from his captain's chair arm pad to Troi — who is manning the helm in lieu of the crewman who was just blown out through what was once the view screen — indicating that she should put full impulse on standby. (Literally, if you watch the scene closely, Troi's console prefaces the order with "TXT MSG" !) My question is: Did Picard also somehow warn crew members in the forward saucer section about what was about to happen? The ramming of the Scimitar was a heat of the moment decision. Considering that he also resorted to calling the auto-destruct sequence shortly after (which ended up being offline), he probably was of the mindset that any losses would be acceptable in order to hault Shinzon's march to Earth. Still, I'm curious. Answer The original script indicates that he called for the crew to " brace for impact ". Whether that call (or the comma...