Skip to main content

story identification - Book, probably published before the 1980s, about a pair of teenage girls (twins?) raised by dolphins and slowly integrating into society



I picked up a copy of this in my grandmother's house, probably 10-20 years ago. I think my mother said it belonged to my aunt Mary, who probably would have read it around the 1970s (high school / college age). The primary characters were a pair of teenage girls who had an older male professor as their guardian. I'm pretty sure the girls had long blonde hair and blue eyes. I don't remember if the girls were feral children raised by dolphins or if they were part of an experiment by the professor, but they were amazing swimmers who could hold their breath for longer than any normal human. Other than that, I just have a few scenes dancing around it my head. First, the professor kept the girls on a boat, presumably so that they could be closer to water. Second, there was a scene where one of the girls put on makeup to try to be normal, and went off on a date. Her sister observes from a hiding place. The date in question sees the sister watching and assumes that this is a sign that they're both interested and he gets more aggressive. She interprets her date's kiss as an attack and goes off of the side of the boat, leading him to think that he killed her (my vague memory is that said date might have been an assistant to the professor or he might have just been a local townsperson).


The girls might have had a psychic connection with each other, but I'm less sure about that. Unfortunately, I read this over a decade ago, and I don't think I even got to finish the book. The front cover had one of the girls on the boat and I want to say that the title talking about them as "dolphin girls". It might have been part of a series.




Answer



Very likely Daughters of the Dolphin by Roy Meyers, published in 1968. The second book in a trilogy. The first book is Dolphin Boy, John, whose mother's exposure to radiation, allowed him to live essentially as a dolphin.He is raised by a female dolphin after being accidentally tossed into the sea as an infant. There's is not enough online to get details of Daughters, but what I remember of the book, I think matches your question.


enter image description here


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

languages - Do we ever see written English in the Star Wars films?

In Empire Strikes Back , we see a transcription of what R2's beeps and bloops mean, but it's not English (sorry for the low quality, it's from the 2004 DVDs): I'd assume it's what Basic looks like when written, but is there some point in the the Star Wars films we see written English instead? (This sort of spun off from a discussion in How do people understand astromech droids? .) Answer At one point there was English but it has been phased out in subsequent versions of the films. Chris Gould at DVD Active did a comparison of all versions of each of the Star Wars films, and in his comparison of Episode 4 , there are a couple of screenshots showing how the power gauge for the Death Star tractor beam was changed. I imagine there are probably more to be found in his other comparisons but I haven't got around to reading those yet.

Was the "pure soul" of Harry's what had really hurt Voldemort?

In the Order of the Phoenix, Voldemort possesses Harry, and it hurts. Greatly. I think that Dumbledore explained that it was because Voldemort's rotten soul was incapable of assimilating Harry's pure soul, that Voldemort didn't understand the love and friendship etc that Harry has in his heart. But, I think it was a lie. Remember that in Deathly Hallows, while looking for information regarding Horcruxes, it is discovered that it is in fact possible to merge a soul fragment back, but that the process was extremely painful. Now then, if Voldemort tried to possess Harry, and Harry had a fragment of Voldemort's soul, I think that it could have been the true cause of Voldemort's pain: the fact of having his soul so close of another fragment. I think that Dumbledore knew that fact, but had to lie to Harry because it was inappropriate to let him know that he had one of Voldemort's soul fragments at the moment. Is that right? Or was it truly the pure soul of Harry's...

star wars - What "exactly" happens when someone turns to the Dark Side?

When I saw the original Star Wars saga as a kid, the concept of the Dark Side imprinted in me was quite simple. You did a bad thing, so you're a bad person so you go to the Dark Side and keep doing bad things. Now, obviously this doesn't hold true in reality. In my mind it is perfectly reasonable for Luke to kill the Emperor and Vader and then just flee the Death Star and rejoin the Alliance. After all they are at war, those are enemy officers that have captured him and are taunting him by threatening with death of all loved ones and the whole operation was intended to kill the Emperor anyway. The same would hold true for Anakin. He could have killed Mace Windu to save the Chancellor and Padme but that doesn't mean he's going to then go mad and kill all Jedis including children. It doesn't add up from a merely psychological point of view. He had a set of objectives and that made him want to keep the Chancellor alive (quite valid by the way, Mace Windu is quite clums...

star trek - Warning regarding forward saucer section in Nemesis?

In Star Trek: Nemesis , just before the Enterprise rams into the Scimitar, Picard sends a text message from his captain's chair arm pad to Troi — who is manning the helm in lieu of the crewman who was just blown out through what was once the view screen — indicating that she should put full impulse on standby. (Literally, if you watch the scene closely, Troi's console prefaces the order with "TXT MSG" !) My question is: Did Picard also somehow warn crew members in the forward saucer section about what was about to happen? The ramming of the Scimitar was a heat of the moment decision. Considering that he also resorted to calling the auto-destruct sequence shortly after (which ended up being offline), he probably was of the mindset that any losses would be acceptable in order to hault Shinzon's march to Earth. Still, I'm curious. Answer The original script indicates that he called for the crew to " brace for impact ". Whether that call (or the comma...