Skip to main content

harry potter - In which situations does a wizard's patronus change due to love?


My friend and I were talking about this. The only two instances mentioned in which patronuses change into a loved one's patronus, is when the love is unrequited (Snape to Lily, Tonks to Lupin). My friend thinks a wizard's patronus only changes with unrequited love, while I think that is too specific and weird.



"You'd better put that cloak back on, and we can walk up to the school" said Tonks, still unsmiling. As Harry swung the cloak back over himself, she waved her wand; an immense silvery four-legged creature erupted from it and streaked off into the darkness.
"Was that a Patronus?" asked Harry
, who had seen Dumbledore send messages like this. "Yes, I'm sending word to the castle that I've got you or they'll worry. Come on, we'd better not dawdle."


The Half-Blood Pricne - page 157 & 158 - Bloomsbury - chapter 8, Snape Victorious





"Hagrid was late for the start-of-term feast, just like Potter here, so I took it instead. And incidentally," said Snape, standing back to allow Harry to pass him, "I was interested to see your new Patronus."


The Half-Blood Pricne - page 160 - Bloomsbury - chapter 8, Snape Victorious




"But I don't care either, I don't care!" said Tonks, seizing the front of Lupin's robes and shaking them. "I've told you a million times...."
And the meaning of Tonks's Patronus and her mouse-colored hair, and the reason she had come running to Dumbledore when she had heard a rumour someone had been attracked by Greyback, all suddenly became clear to Harry; it had not been Sirius that Tonks had fallen in love with after all.


The Half-Blood Prince - page 624 - Bloomsbury - chapter 29, The Pheonix Lament



And...




"But this is touching, Severus," said Dumbledore seriously. "Have you grown to care for the boy, after all?"
"For him?" shouted Snape. "Expecto Patronum!"
From the tip of his wand burst the silver doe: She landed on the office floor, bounded once across the office, and soared out of the window.


Deathly Hallows - page 687 - Bloomsbury - chapter 33, The Prince's Tale



But if it changed for any love, wouldn't that mean that couples would end up with the same patronuses? For example, if Lily fell in love with James, couldn't her patronus become a stag, which in turn would make Snape's a stag, too? And is it only romantic love? Does a parent's patronus change to their child's? But then that seems way too general. Everyone would have the same patronus.


Is this only strong, passionate love? But how would that be judged? That would put down all other kinds of love.


(edit: I know Lupin did love Tonks back, but as DVK said below, he was still rejecting her)



Answer



I think there are two cases you have forgotten to mention; that might help understand the whole patronus debate a bit better. The first one is with James and Lily and the fact that their patronuses, albeit not the same; but a doe and a stag. I think that it is more than just a coincidence that their patronuses are the same as each others but with different genders. Where as Severus' patronus mimics Lily's; her's and James' match as if it was the way fate intended them to be together; each others soulmate.



Then there is the case of Harry's patronus which is in the form of a stag, like James'. This brings me onto what I think is the explanation about what shape a patronus forms. When Harry first produced his patronus, he wanted nothing more than for his Dad to come out, to be able to see his Dad, because he believed in his heart that his Dad had been the one to save him from the dementors in that clearing. And when he looked in the Mirror of Erised, it showed him that his deepest desire was to be with James and Lily and the rest of Potter clan. Hence why I think that patronuses form to imitate the one thing a person desires more than anything else.


Severus desired to be with Lily, which is why his became a doe, to imitate hers. James Lily desired to be together, so theirs became a Stag and a Doe; a perfect match, two beings that belonged together. Harry desired to be with his parents; so his patronus became a Stag; just like his father's, and the male version of his mother's. Tonks desired to be with Lupin and for him to see that she accepted him, inner wolf and all; so her took the form of a wolf. Another example we can think about is Albus Dumbledore's patronus. I am fairly sure his patronus was a pheonix. A pheonix rises from the ashes and helps those who are truly in need, and heal those who require it. And I like to think that is what Albus desired to be able to do. To be able to help others, to rise from the ashes; figuratively speaking; when all hope seems to be lost and help out. He desired to give help to all those who needed it; which is why his patronus was in the form of a pheonix.


Now to get to the question in hand, why a patronus might change. In Severus' cases I don't actually think that his patronus did change, but merely took the form of Lily's from his very first go. I put this down to the fact that Severus learnt to love Lily from a very young age, way before he would have been able to produce a patronus. It is even implied that 13 is too young for a patronus to be produced, and that even the majority of older wizards can't produce a corporeal patronus, which is why it was so surprising to see Harry manage to produce one. However we can not forget that there are others in the books that manage to form a corporeal patronus without any real significance to any desire they might hold. I think that a patronus takes the form of a spirit animal of the person casting it; an animal reflecting the persons inner personality, and only changes when the person realises their truest desire. That is why Tonk's changed, as she did not realise he desire until much later in life; after she had managed to cast a corporeal patronus, which is why her patronus changed.


I also think it is wise to point out that those who are an Animagus; they more often than not take the form of the Animagus. I.e, James Potter and Minerva McGonagall. And also people may argue that love and desire are basically the same thing; to which I cannot deny. So take from what I personally think as you will. Afterall, this is just my take.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

languages - Do we ever see written English in the Star Wars films?

In Empire Strikes Back , we see a transcription of what R2's beeps and bloops mean, but it's not English (sorry for the low quality, it's from the 2004 DVDs): I'd assume it's what Basic looks like when written, but is there some point in the the Star Wars films we see written English instead? (This sort of spun off from a discussion in How do people understand astromech droids? .) Answer At one point there was English but it has been phased out in subsequent versions of the films. Chris Gould at DVD Active did a comparison of all versions of each of the Star Wars films, and in his comparison of Episode 4 , there are a couple of screenshots showing how the power gauge for the Death Star tractor beam was changed. I imagine there are probably more to be found in his other comparisons but I haven't got around to reading those yet.

Was the "pure soul" of Harry's what had really hurt Voldemort?

In the Order of the Phoenix, Voldemort possesses Harry, and it hurts. Greatly. I think that Dumbledore explained that it was because Voldemort's rotten soul was incapable of assimilating Harry's pure soul, that Voldemort didn't understand the love and friendship etc that Harry has in his heart. But, I think it was a lie. Remember that in Deathly Hallows, while looking for information regarding Horcruxes, it is discovered that it is in fact possible to merge a soul fragment back, but that the process was extremely painful. Now then, if Voldemort tried to possess Harry, and Harry had a fragment of Voldemort's soul, I think that it could have been the true cause of Voldemort's pain: the fact of having his soul so close of another fragment. I think that Dumbledore knew that fact, but had to lie to Harry because it was inappropriate to let him know that he had one of Voldemort's soul fragments at the moment. Is that right? Or was it truly the pure soul of Harry's...

star wars - What "exactly" happens when someone turns to the Dark Side?

When I saw the original Star Wars saga as a kid, the concept of the Dark Side imprinted in me was quite simple. You did a bad thing, so you're a bad person so you go to the Dark Side and keep doing bad things. Now, obviously this doesn't hold true in reality. In my mind it is perfectly reasonable for Luke to kill the Emperor and Vader and then just flee the Death Star and rejoin the Alliance. After all they are at war, those are enemy officers that have captured him and are taunting him by threatening with death of all loved ones and the whole operation was intended to kill the Emperor anyway. The same would hold true for Anakin. He could have killed Mace Windu to save the Chancellor and Padme but that doesn't mean he's going to then go mad and kill all Jedis including children. It doesn't add up from a merely psychological point of view. He had a set of objectives and that made him want to keep the Chancellor alive (quite valid by the way, Mace Windu is quite clums...

star trek - Warning regarding forward saucer section in Nemesis?

In Star Trek: Nemesis , just before the Enterprise rams into the Scimitar, Picard sends a text message from his captain's chair arm pad to Troi — who is manning the helm in lieu of the crewman who was just blown out through what was once the view screen — indicating that she should put full impulse on standby. (Literally, if you watch the scene closely, Troi's console prefaces the order with "TXT MSG" !) My question is: Did Picard also somehow warn crew members in the forward saucer section about what was about to happen? The ramming of the Scimitar was a heat of the moment decision. Considering that he also resorted to calling the auto-destruct sequence shortly after (which ended up being offline), he probably was of the mindset that any losses would be acceptable in order to hault Shinzon's march to Earth. Still, I'm curious. Answer The original script indicates that he called for the crew to " brace for impact ". Whether that call (or the comma...