Skip to main content

short stories - Story where someone gets disconnected from computers for cybercrime


I read a short (in the range of 5-20 pages) science fiction story a while ago, and can't remember the title of the story or its author at the moment.


The basic story is that of a super-savvy computer hacker who got all of his knowledge of computers removed from his brain, temporarily (one year?) for cybercrime, including (IIRC) some form of identity theft, and is released into the public without any jail-time or anything. This is very hard on him, for this future-Earth relies heavily on highly interconnected computers for basic and daily needs.
This is not immediately clear at the start of the story, but it becomes apparent after a little while.


Part of the story includes the main character (I don't remember if he is granted a name in the story) wanders into a cafe or a bar, and is invited to play a game of digital, tridimensional chess. He has to turn down the invite, though, because he doesn't know and is blocked from knowing how to use computers. He also really doesn't want the other characters to know this, because apparently having your computer knowledge removed from your brain for cybercrime is a major stigma in that society.
The character also has difficulty using his (futuristic equivalent of a) credit card, as that also requires some computer knowledge.


Any ideas?



Answer



This is A Perfect Fit by Isaac Asimov.



From http://www.edn.com/electronics-news/4319939/A-perfect-fit (I think this is the full text)


Punishment for cybercrime:



Bradstone leaned forward in his chair and said, intensely, "If you've followed my case, you must know I have been subjected to cruel and unusual punishment. I'm the first person who has received this kind of sentence. The combination of hypnosis and direct neuroconditioning has only been perfected recently. The nature of the punishment to which I have been sentenced could not be understood. It must be lifted."


Gold said, "You underwent due process in great detail, and there was no reasonable doubt that you were guilty—.


"Even so! Look! We live in a computerized world. I can't do a thing anywhere—I can't get information—I can’t be fed—I can’t amuse myself—I can't pay for anything—or check on anything—or just plain do anything—without using a computer. And I have been adjusted, as you surely know, so that I am incapable of looking at a computer without hurting my eyes, or touching one without blistering my fingers. I can't even handle my cash card or even think of using it without nausea."



The chess part:



He turned away bitterly and noted a makeshift setup of eight chess boards balanced on pegs, one above the other.



Ordinary chessboards. Plastic chessmen.


"Hey," he said in explosive surprise.


The young man at the multi-board said, defensively, "We can't get close enough. I set this up myself so we can follow. Careful! Don't knock it down."


Bradstone said, "Is that the position as of now?"


"Yes. The guys have been arguing for 10 minutes."


Bradstone looked eagerly at the position. He said, raptly, "If you move the rook from beta-B-6 to delta-B-6, you get the upper hand."


The young man studied the board. "Are you sure?"


"Certainly I'm sure. No matter what the computer does, it's going to end up losing a move to protect its Queen."


More studying. The young man shouted, "Hey, in there. Guy here says you should bump the rook up two levels."


There was a collective sigh from the inner group. One voice said, "I was thinking that."



Another said, "I get it. It leaves the Queen with the potentiality of vulnerability. I didn't see that." The owner of this second voice turned. "You! The fellow who made the suggestion. Would you do the honor? Would you punch in the move?"


Bradstone backed way, his face contorted in sheer horror. "No—No—I don't play." He turned and hastened away.



Inability to even use a credit/payment card (tries to get a boy to do it for him):



Bradstone made no move to come closer. If he did, the boy would undoubtedly run. He said, "I'll bet you're big enough to do your own ordering. You can order a hamburger or anything else, I'm sure."


Pride overcame suspicion. The boy said "Sure! Any time!"


"But you don't have a card of your own, right? So you can't complete the order. Right?"


The boy started at him warily out of brown eyes. He was neatly dressed and had an alert and intelligent air about him.


Bradstone said, "Tell you what. I have a card and you can use it to order. Get yourself a hamburger or anything else you want. Tell you what else. You can get me something, too. Nice T-bone steak, and a baked potato and some squash and some coffee. And two pieces of apple pie. You have one."




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

languages - Do we ever see written English in the Star Wars films?

In Empire Strikes Back , we see a transcription of what R2's beeps and bloops mean, but it's not English (sorry for the low quality, it's from the 2004 DVDs): I'd assume it's what Basic looks like when written, but is there some point in the the Star Wars films we see written English instead? (This sort of spun off from a discussion in How do people understand astromech droids? .) Answer At one point there was English but it has been phased out in subsequent versions of the films. Chris Gould at DVD Active did a comparison of all versions of each of the Star Wars films, and in his comparison of Episode 4 , there are a couple of screenshots showing how the power gauge for the Death Star tractor beam was changed. I imagine there are probably more to be found in his other comparisons but I haven't got around to reading those yet.

Was the "pure soul" of Harry's what had really hurt Voldemort?

In the Order of the Phoenix, Voldemort possesses Harry, and it hurts. Greatly. I think that Dumbledore explained that it was because Voldemort's rotten soul was incapable of assimilating Harry's pure soul, that Voldemort didn't understand the love and friendship etc that Harry has in his heart. But, I think it was a lie. Remember that in Deathly Hallows, while looking for information regarding Horcruxes, it is discovered that it is in fact possible to merge a soul fragment back, but that the process was extremely painful. Now then, if Voldemort tried to possess Harry, and Harry had a fragment of Voldemort's soul, I think that it could have been the true cause of Voldemort's pain: the fact of having his soul so close of another fragment. I think that Dumbledore knew that fact, but had to lie to Harry because it was inappropriate to let him know that he had one of Voldemort's soul fragments at the moment. Is that right? Or was it truly the pure soul of Harry's...

star wars - What "exactly" happens when someone turns to the Dark Side?

When I saw the original Star Wars saga as a kid, the concept of the Dark Side imprinted in me was quite simple. You did a bad thing, so you're a bad person so you go to the Dark Side and keep doing bad things. Now, obviously this doesn't hold true in reality. In my mind it is perfectly reasonable for Luke to kill the Emperor and Vader and then just flee the Death Star and rejoin the Alliance. After all they are at war, those are enemy officers that have captured him and are taunting him by threatening with death of all loved ones and the whole operation was intended to kill the Emperor anyway. The same would hold true for Anakin. He could have killed Mace Windu to save the Chancellor and Padme but that doesn't mean he's going to then go mad and kill all Jedis including children. It doesn't add up from a merely psychological point of view. He had a set of objectives and that made him want to keep the Chancellor alive (quite valid by the way, Mace Windu is quite clums...

star trek - Warning regarding forward saucer section in Nemesis?

In Star Trek: Nemesis , just before the Enterprise rams into the Scimitar, Picard sends a text message from his captain's chair arm pad to Troi — who is manning the helm in lieu of the crewman who was just blown out through what was once the view screen — indicating that she should put full impulse on standby. (Literally, if you watch the scene closely, Troi's console prefaces the order with "TXT MSG" !) My question is: Did Picard also somehow warn crew members in the forward saucer section about what was about to happen? The ramming of the Scimitar was a heat of the moment decision. Considering that he also resorted to calling the auto-destruct sequence shortly after (which ended up being offline), he probably was of the mindset that any losses would be acceptable in order to hault Shinzon's march to Earth. Still, I'm curious. Answer The original script indicates that he called for the crew to " brace for impact ". Whether that call (or the comma...