Skip to main content

dc - How long has Batman been carrying kryptonite?


In the JLA cartoon, it is revealed that Batman carries around a lump of Kryptonite, for 'insurance'


enter image description here



Amazo: [upon scanning Batman] You don't have any powers.


Batman: I have this. [Pulls out piece of kryptonite. Amazo begins to suffer its effects.] It's a package deal. You get our powers, but you get our weaknesses too. [Amazo jumps off the building into the sewer.]



Hawkgirl: You always carry a piece of kryptonite with you?


Batman: Call it insurance.


Hawkgirl: And they say I'm scary.



How long has that rock been in his utility belt? Is it there in the comics? And does it have any negative effect on batman?



Answer



I'm not sure about before but in the post Crisis on Infinite Earths DC Universe superman gave Batman a kryptonite ring that he took from Lex Luthor in Action Comics #654 (June 1990).


Action Comics #654


The ring gave Lex Luthor cancer and caused the loss of his hand and then his life. (His mind was transferred to a new cloned body.) Superman gave it to Batman because he knew Batman would use it to kill him if Superman ever lost control.


Due to events outlined in Identity Crisis wherein Batman discovered that some members of the Justice League had altered his memories. In reaction he created the Brother MK I satellite to keep an eye on all metahumans. Part of its mission was also to find a way to defeat every metahuman on earth.



I am not certain but I believe it was during this time it was revealed that Batman carried the kryptonite ring with him whenever he worked with Superman.


After the continuity revamp in Infinite Crisis, DC showed Batman keeping the kryptonite ring in a lead lined pouch on his utility belt in Superman/Batman #32 (February 2007).


Superman?Batman #32


Later in issues #44-49 of Superman/Batman that dealt with the eradication of kryptonite from earth with the exception of one small piece that Superman gave to Batman in issue #49 (August 2008).


Superman/Batman #49


Later on during the New Krypton storyline it was revealed that the government had also been stockpiling kryptonite.


Give me some time and I will see if I can find out when the kryptonite chunk appeared in DC's animated universe.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

languages - Do we ever see written English in the Star Wars films?

In Empire Strikes Back , we see a transcription of what R2's beeps and bloops mean, but it's not English (sorry for the low quality, it's from the 2004 DVDs): I'd assume it's what Basic looks like when written, but is there some point in the the Star Wars films we see written English instead? (This sort of spun off from a discussion in How do people understand astromech droids? .) Answer At one point there was English but it has been phased out in subsequent versions of the films. Chris Gould at DVD Active did a comparison of all versions of each of the Star Wars films, and in his comparison of Episode 4 , there are a couple of screenshots showing how the power gauge for the Death Star tractor beam was changed. I imagine there are probably more to be found in his other comparisons but I haven't got around to reading those yet.

Was the "pure soul" of Harry's what had really hurt Voldemort?

In the Order of the Phoenix, Voldemort possesses Harry, and it hurts. Greatly. I think that Dumbledore explained that it was because Voldemort's rotten soul was incapable of assimilating Harry's pure soul, that Voldemort didn't understand the love and friendship etc that Harry has in his heart. But, I think it was a lie. Remember that in Deathly Hallows, while looking for information regarding Horcruxes, it is discovered that it is in fact possible to merge a soul fragment back, but that the process was extremely painful. Now then, if Voldemort tried to possess Harry, and Harry had a fragment of Voldemort's soul, I think that it could have been the true cause of Voldemort's pain: the fact of having his soul so close of another fragment. I think that Dumbledore knew that fact, but had to lie to Harry because it was inappropriate to let him know that he had one of Voldemort's soul fragments at the moment. Is that right? Or was it truly the pure soul of Harry's...

star wars - What "exactly" happens when someone turns to the Dark Side?

When I saw the original Star Wars saga as a kid, the concept of the Dark Side imprinted in me was quite simple. You did a bad thing, so you're a bad person so you go to the Dark Side and keep doing bad things. Now, obviously this doesn't hold true in reality. In my mind it is perfectly reasonable for Luke to kill the Emperor and Vader and then just flee the Death Star and rejoin the Alliance. After all they are at war, those are enemy officers that have captured him and are taunting him by threatening with death of all loved ones and the whole operation was intended to kill the Emperor anyway. The same would hold true for Anakin. He could have killed Mace Windu to save the Chancellor and Padme but that doesn't mean he's going to then go mad and kill all Jedis including children. It doesn't add up from a merely psychological point of view. He had a set of objectives and that made him want to keep the Chancellor alive (quite valid by the way, Mace Windu is quite clums...

star trek - Warning regarding forward saucer section in Nemesis?

In Star Trek: Nemesis , just before the Enterprise rams into the Scimitar, Picard sends a text message from his captain's chair arm pad to Troi — who is manning the helm in lieu of the crewman who was just blown out through what was once the view screen — indicating that she should put full impulse on standby. (Literally, if you watch the scene closely, Troi's console prefaces the order with "TXT MSG" !) My question is: Did Picard also somehow warn crew members in the forward saucer section about what was about to happen? The ramming of the Scimitar was a heat of the moment decision. Considering that he also resorted to calling the auto-destruct sequence shortly after (which ended up being offline), he probably was of the mindset that any losses would be acceptable in order to hault Shinzon's march to Earth. Still, I'm curious. Answer The original script indicates that he called for the crew to " brace for impact ". Whether that call (or the comma...