Skip to main content

harry potter - When and how did Draco find out his father was a Death Eater?


I'm just going to guess he had little idea at the start of the series, I mean you don't really entrust such information to an eleven year old. That said he must have noted that some people acted funny around his father. I'm going to say that once he knew about Death Eaters he would have connected the dots, but the wizarding youth don't seem to know much. Also, even if he did know about Death Eaters, he may not have thought his father had been one. The other possibility is that Draco knew his father was a Death Eater but didn't know really know what that meant.


He probably knew by The Goblet of Fire. That said he might not even have known when they were torturing Muggles. I mean his father would have expressed his hatred towards Muggles before then, so it's not altogether unlikely Draco didn't think much of it.


I can't imagine Lucius sitting Draco down and saying, "It's time you know that, not long before you were born, I was a Death Eater." I mean it's not the sort of thing you can just tell someone especially if you had no reason to. Is it possible he figured it out himself or someone else tipped him off? Maybe Moody (or really Crouch Jr., I guess)?



Answer



No canon info, as far as I'm aware. I'm inclined to believe it was one of those things that Draco just slowly came to understand. After all, Lucius was definitely accused of being a Death Eater, and (at least by the time Draco is attending Hogwarts) he's comfortable spouting his classist and racist opinions in the open.


Draco, by the age of eleven, feels comfortable discussing with Harry (a boy he's just met) how he doesn't think they should let in Muggle-borns and by the second book he's shouting Mudblood in view of witnesses. From this we can gather than Lucius was giving these opinions freely at home. It just so happened that these opinions lined up with Voldemort's.


Consider his dealing with the Chamber Of Secrets. He admits to Draco that it was opened before, but doesn't tell him details for fear of looking suspicious, nor does he tell Draco about his involvement. If this was his general attitude it's quite likely that he neither officially confirmed nor denied to Draco his Death Eater past, at least until the later books. A smirk, a wink perhaps, nothing more.


Of note - in the fourth book Draco's awfully calm about the attack. He knows they're after Muggles and doesn't seem the slightest bit scared. This seems to point to two explanations - he knew his Dad was behind it, or he was so secure in his knowledge of Death Eater attacks and his own pure-blood status, that he knew he wasn't getting hurt. Both indicate to me at least a passing knowledge of his Dad's probable connections to the group.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

languages - Do we ever see written English in the Star Wars films?

In Empire Strikes Back , we see a transcription of what R2's beeps and bloops mean, but it's not English (sorry for the low quality, it's from the 2004 DVDs): I'd assume it's what Basic looks like when written, but is there some point in the the Star Wars films we see written English instead? (This sort of spun off from a discussion in How do people understand astromech droids? .) Answer At one point there was English but it has been phased out in subsequent versions of the films. Chris Gould at DVD Active did a comparison of all versions of each of the Star Wars films, and in his comparison of Episode 4 , there are a couple of screenshots showing how the power gauge for the Death Star tractor beam was changed. I imagine there are probably more to be found in his other comparisons but I haven't got around to reading those yet.

star wars - What "exactly" happens when someone turns to the Dark Side?

When I saw the original Star Wars saga as a kid, the concept of the Dark Side imprinted in me was quite simple. You did a bad thing, so you're a bad person so you go to the Dark Side and keep doing bad things. Now, obviously this doesn't hold true in reality. In my mind it is perfectly reasonable for Luke to kill the Emperor and Vader and then just flee the Death Star and rejoin the Alliance. After all they are at war, those are enemy officers that have captured him and are taunting him by threatening with death of all loved ones and the whole operation was intended to kill the Emperor anyway. The same would hold true for Anakin. He could have killed Mace Windu to save the Chancellor and Padme but that doesn't mean he's going to then go mad and kill all Jedis including children. It doesn't add up from a merely psychological point of view. He had a set of objectives and that made him want to keep the Chancellor alive (quite valid by the way, Mace Windu is quite clums...

Was the "pure soul" of Harry's what had really hurt Voldemort?

In the Order of the Phoenix, Voldemort possesses Harry, and it hurts. Greatly. I think that Dumbledore explained that it was because Voldemort's rotten soul was incapable of assimilating Harry's pure soul, that Voldemort didn't understand the love and friendship etc that Harry has in his heart. But, I think it was a lie. Remember that in Deathly Hallows, while looking for information regarding Horcruxes, it is discovered that it is in fact possible to merge a soul fragment back, but that the process was extremely painful. Now then, if Voldemort tried to possess Harry, and Harry had a fragment of Voldemort's soul, I think that it could have been the true cause of Voldemort's pain: the fact of having his soul so close of another fragment. I think that Dumbledore knew that fact, but had to lie to Harry because it was inappropriate to let him know that he had one of Voldemort's soul fragments at the moment. Is that right? Or was it truly the pure soul of Harry's...

star trek - Warning regarding forward saucer section in Nemesis?

In Star Trek: Nemesis , just before the Enterprise rams into the Scimitar, Picard sends a text message from his captain's chair arm pad to Troi — who is manning the helm in lieu of the crewman who was just blown out through what was once the view screen — indicating that she should put full impulse on standby. (Literally, if you watch the scene closely, Troi's console prefaces the order with "TXT MSG" !) My question is: Did Picard also somehow warn crew members in the forward saucer section about what was about to happen? The ramming of the Scimitar was a heat of the moment decision. Considering that he also resorted to calling the auto-destruct sequence shortly after (which ended up being offline), he probably was of the mindset that any losses would be acceptable in order to hault Shinzon's march to Earth. Still, I'm curious. Answer The original script indicates that he called for the crew to " brace for impact ". Whether that call (or the comma...