Skip to main content

story identification - Looking for title and author: fantasy, shapeshifting thief, sorceress


Pretty sure this book was fantasy, rather than sci-fi. Probably late 70s early 80s. I remember:


The world is made up of separate chunks, islands floating in space, each following a specific path that is charted and regular (there are timetables written about the movement and paths of each island). A thief cases a house to steal an artifact, a crystal crescent. The crescent is resting on a cushion on a mantel, in a room where the floor is specially made so that if you step in the wrong place, the floor shrieks like a riven vampire. The thief returns at night, navigates the floor, discovers that the crescent is protected by a glow (spell), figures out that the spell doesn't affect the silk cushion the crescent is sitting on, so makes a loop out of a piece of silk from his own clothes, and leaves (something) behind on the cushion, to give the spell something to protect. To leave the building, he goes to a pantry/closet with a window, and has to dislocate his shoulder to fit. I want to say that he can shapeshift into a bear, but I can't remember how that fits in anywhere. Further on, he meets a sorceress, who wears a ring made out of crystal on a particular finger to show her rank.


And that's what I remember. I want to say the author is female, but I can't remember the name of the author or the book, and the copy I read was missing its front cover so I have no idea of the cover art. Please help!




Answer



I love this book too! The Shattered World by Michael Reaves. Without a doubt.


Book cover



A thousand years ago, the world was broken in a great cataclysm; now people live on the fragments, flying between them in ships made of the skin & bone of dragons. The book follows the interweaving stories of a thief, a couple of wizards, and various others as events are set in motion that will take them on perilous journeys to the far reaches of the world with far-reaching consequences.



Matching details from my memory:



  • Floating land masses in breathable atmosphere

  • Werebear/lycanthrope/shape changer thief protagonist


  • Sexy deadly woman wizard antagonist

  • Botched jewel heist


But honestly, you must not have gotten too deep into the book because the best parts you don't mention, nor will I because of spoilers. The jewel heist is just the beginning of events that entangle the thief in a global plot.


And it was 1985, not the 70s!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

languages - Do we ever see written English in the Star Wars films?

In Empire Strikes Back , we see a transcription of what R2's beeps and bloops mean, but it's not English (sorry for the low quality, it's from the 2004 DVDs): I'd assume it's what Basic looks like when written, but is there some point in the the Star Wars films we see written English instead? (This sort of spun off from a discussion in How do people understand astromech droids? .) Answer At one point there was English but it has been phased out in subsequent versions of the films. Chris Gould at DVD Active did a comparison of all versions of each of the Star Wars films, and in his comparison of Episode 4 , there are a couple of screenshots showing how the power gauge for the Death Star tractor beam was changed. I imagine there are probably more to be found in his other comparisons but I haven't got around to reading those yet.

Was the "pure soul" of Harry's what had really hurt Voldemort?

In the Order of the Phoenix, Voldemort possesses Harry, and it hurts. Greatly. I think that Dumbledore explained that it was because Voldemort's rotten soul was incapable of assimilating Harry's pure soul, that Voldemort didn't understand the love and friendship etc that Harry has in his heart. But, I think it was a lie. Remember that in Deathly Hallows, while looking for information regarding Horcruxes, it is discovered that it is in fact possible to merge a soul fragment back, but that the process was extremely painful. Now then, if Voldemort tried to possess Harry, and Harry had a fragment of Voldemort's soul, I think that it could have been the true cause of Voldemort's pain: the fact of having his soul so close of another fragment. I think that Dumbledore knew that fact, but had to lie to Harry because it was inappropriate to let him know that he had one of Voldemort's soul fragments at the moment. Is that right? Or was it truly the pure soul of Harry's...

star wars - What "exactly" happens when someone turns to the Dark Side?

When I saw the original Star Wars saga as a kid, the concept of the Dark Side imprinted in me was quite simple. You did a bad thing, so you're a bad person so you go to the Dark Side and keep doing bad things. Now, obviously this doesn't hold true in reality. In my mind it is perfectly reasonable for Luke to kill the Emperor and Vader and then just flee the Death Star and rejoin the Alliance. After all they are at war, those are enemy officers that have captured him and are taunting him by threatening with death of all loved ones and the whole operation was intended to kill the Emperor anyway. The same would hold true for Anakin. He could have killed Mace Windu to save the Chancellor and Padme but that doesn't mean he's going to then go mad and kill all Jedis including children. It doesn't add up from a merely psychological point of view. He had a set of objectives and that made him want to keep the Chancellor alive (quite valid by the way, Mace Windu is quite clums...

star trek - Warning regarding forward saucer section in Nemesis?

In Star Trek: Nemesis , just before the Enterprise rams into the Scimitar, Picard sends a text message from his captain's chair arm pad to Troi — who is manning the helm in lieu of the crewman who was just blown out through what was once the view screen — indicating that she should put full impulse on standby. (Literally, if you watch the scene closely, Troi's console prefaces the order with "TXT MSG" !) My question is: Did Picard also somehow warn crew members in the forward saucer section about what was about to happen? The ramming of the Scimitar was a heat of the moment decision. Considering that he also resorted to calling the auto-destruct sequence shortly after (which ended up being offline), he probably was of the mindset that any losses would be acceptable in order to hault Shinzon's march to Earth. Still, I'm curious. Answer The original script indicates that he called for the crew to " brace for impact ". Whether that call (or the comma...