Skip to main content

marvel cinematic universe - What is required to wield an infinity gem?


In the Guardians of the Galaxy movie it is stressed that a mortal human cannot wield the Infinity Stones. In the comics, however, several humans appear to have wielded one or more Infinity Gems including The Hood, Iron Man, Dr. Strange, Mr. Fantastic, Beast, and Charles Xavier. I don't know the details of most of these, however, as I learned of some of them via Wikipedia...


enter image description here


In Thor: The Dark World I can only imagine that Natalie Portman’s character somewhat wielded the red gem, though she definitely did not appear to be in control of it.


I would suggest that the human-destroying nature of the purple stone in Guardians could be exclusive to that one stone, but Power and Reality (the gems that seem to fit the appearance of the purple stone) were both wielded in the comics by The Hood.


So my question/s: is the idea that a simple human cannot wield the gem exclusive to the MCU/Earth 199999? Do human characters in Earth 616 (or others) have some way to more safely wield them?



Answer




The premise that a normal human could not effectively wield an Infinity Gem is not unique to the Marvel Cinematic Universe.



  • While the MCU shows the gems having catastrophic effects on anyone unfamiliar with the gem, it was possible for beings of immense power such as, Ronan the Accuser, to use the power of the purple Infinity Gem without dying.


Could a normal human do the same thing? Unknown. I can think of no instance where an ordinary human ever came to be in the possession of any of the Infinity Gems for any length of time. I would consider it unlikely, however.


When we see the Infinity Gems in the canon Marvel Universe, they never showed up in the hands of people who don't already possess superhuman power. It is almost a requirement to have superhuman abilities to find them or use them.



  • It can be said the gems possess a kind of sentience as well and allow their use if it suits their purposes. The Soul Gem and Adam Warlock had a symbiotic relationship where the sentience of the gem was not in doubt. The other Infinity gems are likely as capable of determining who uses them and who does not.


From Strange Tales #179 (1975): Adam Warlock is fighting against the Black Knight, Autolycus and the Soul Gem breaks away from Adam's control and kills Autolycus by taking his soul.



enter image description here



It's the... Soul Gem... it fights me... it's trying to... break free from my control... again! I can feel it... it wants to suck in... the Souls... of these fallen Knights... just like it did... to Autolycus... I can't allow this... to happen... not again! I did it! I've got it under control again! But it was so... so hard! I feared it might come to this! The Soul Gem is steadily growing stronger and shedding the Subconscious control I've had over it the last three Years! It seeks to be free to satisfy its unholy Hunger for fresh Souls to suck them out of living Beings! I wear a Fiend upon my Forehead... a Monster I now realize... I must destroy!





  • When we first learn of them, the Soul Gem was held by the High Evolutionary, a Human whose mental capacities had been evolved thousands of years beyond the Human norm, making him a god-like being with the capacity to fight against beings such as Galactus.




  • The High Evolutionary gives the Soul Gem to Adam Warlock, a genetically engineered human with the ability to manipulate cosmic energies and could control the soul gem (to a limited extent) using it to create energy fields, project energy beams and if necessary, absorb the souls of living beings taking them into an internal paradise realm.





  • When Thanos learns of the Infinity Gems, he tracks them down and each of them was to be found being used by the Elders of the Universe, last survivors of long-dead races, each with powers and technologies far beyond Human norms.




  • Suffice it to say, most of the time when we see the Infinity Gems, they are in the possession of beings of immense power, creatures capable of controlling and manipulating energies of their own already, and simply adding a more powerful weapon to their arsenal.




  • In the case of The Hood using the gems, he was possessed by a demon, which made it possible for him to understand how to interact with the gems and in a limited way use their powers.





In the case of the other Illuminati, they were meant to be caretakers, not users of the Infinity Gem in their possession. But none of them could be called ordinary in any case. In the end, it is the Illuminati's use which lead to the dissolution and possible destruction of the Infinity Gems in the end.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

languages - Do we ever see written English in the Star Wars films?

In Empire Strikes Back , we see a transcription of what R2's beeps and bloops mean, but it's not English (sorry for the low quality, it's from the 2004 DVDs): I'd assume it's what Basic looks like when written, but is there some point in the the Star Wars films we see written English instead? (This sort of spun off from a discussion in How do people understand astromech droids? .) Answer At one point there was English but it has been phased out in subsequent versions of the films. Chris Gould at DVD Active did a comparison of all versions of each of the Star Wars films, and in his comparison of Episode 4 , there are a couple of screenshots showing how the power gauge for the Death Star tractor beam was changed. I imagine there are probably more to be found in his other comparisons but I haven't got around to reading those yet.

Was the "pure soul" of Harry's what had really hurt Voldemort?

In the Order of the Phoenix, Voldemort possesses Harry, and it hurts. Greatly. I think that Dumbledore explained that it was because Voldemort's rotten soul was incapable of assimilating Harry's pure soul, that Voldemort didn't understand the love and friendship etc that Harry has in his heart. But, I think it was a lie. Remember that in Deathly Hallows, while looking for information regarding Horcruxes, it is discovered that it is in fact possible to merge a soul fragment back, but that the process was extremely painful. Now then, if Voldemort tried to possess Harry, and Harry had a fragment of Voldemort's soul, I think that it could have been the true cause of Voldemort's pain: the fact of having his soul so close of another fragment. I think that Dumbledore knew that fact, but had to lie to Harry because it was inappropriate to let him know that he had one of Voldemort's soul fragments at the moment. Is that right? Or was it truly the pure soul of Harry's...

star wars - What "exactly" happens when someone turns to the Dark Side?

When I saw the original Star Wars saga as a kid, the concept of the Dark Side imprinted in me was quite simple. You did a bad thing, so you're a bad person so you go to the Dark Side and keep doing bad things. Now, obviously this doesn't hold true in reality. In my mind it is perfectly reasonable for Luke to kill the Emperor and Vader and then just flee the Death Star and rejoin the Alliance. After all they are at war, those are enemy officers that have captured him and are taunting him by threatening with death of all loved ones and the whole operation was intended to kill the Emperor anyway. The same would hold true for Anakin. He could have killed Mace Windu to save the Chancellor and Padme but that doesn't mean he's going to then go mad and kill all Jedis including children. It doesn't add up from a merely psychological point of view. He had a set of objectives and that made him want to keep the Chancellor alive (quite valid by the way, Mace Windu is quite clums...

star trek - Warning regarding forward saucer section in Nemesis?

In Star Trek: Nemesis , just before the Enterprise rams into the Scimitar, Picard sends a text message from his captain's chair arm pad to Troi — who is manning the helm in lieu of the crewman who was just blown out through what was once the view screen — indicating that she should put full impulse on standby. (Literally, if you watch the scene closely, Troi's console prefaces the order with "TXT MSG" !) My question is: Did Picard also somehow warn crew members in the forward saucer section about what was about to happen? The ramming of the Scimitar was a heat of the moment decision. Considering that he also resorted to calling the auto-destruct sequence shortly after (which ended up being offline), he probably was of the mindset that any losses would be acceptable in order to hault Shinzon's march to Earth. Still, I'm curious. Answer The original script indicates that he called for the crew to " brace for impact ". Whether that call (or the comma...