Skip to main content

story identification - Boy who befriends an alien whose spaceship is disguised: a book about friendship


I am looking for a novel for my children that I used to read in the early 70s at the library. It's about a boy who befriends an alien whose spaceship is disguised as ordinary things. Part of the story is that when the alien returns (usually in a bigger and better ship) his spaceship is disguised differently. I think it's a series. It was a great adventure and I couldn't wait to go back to the library. It's definitely not Heinlein; it had illustrations and was found in the Children's Section. I seem to remember he helps the alien (who is also young) in the beginning and by the time the adventures get going he is visiting his planet and meeting other aliens. It was a great boyhood / alien / adventure / school age friendship children's novel. It was a bright story, nothing dark. The perfect novel for my children's age of wonder.




Answer



The Space Ship Under the Apple Tree.


Edit: A few story elements that I remember from when I read the books 30+ years ago:



  • In the first book, the spaceship is a UFO-shaped ship that is hidden under an apple tree but otherwise obviously a spaceship.

  • In the second book, the spaceship is disguised as a car, but with an invisible shield around it. The family's chickens enjoyed sitting on the invisible shield, the protagonist speculates that it lets them feel like they're flying.

  • The protagonist (Marty? Or was that the name he gave to the "Martian"? I don't remember) suggests going to get something at the general store. The alien refuses, not wanting to interact with General Store of the human military.

  • In one of the later books, the boys return to the alien's home planet. In the dense spacelanes near that planet, the ships all carry a strong electrical charge, so that they repel each other and are thus unable to get into accidents.

  • The smaller ship that comes down to Earth docks with a larger ship in orbit to take the boys back to the homeworld.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

languages - Do we ever see written English in the Star Wars films?

In Empire Strikes Back , we see a transcription of what R2's beeps and bloops mean, but it's not English (sorry for the low quality, it's from the 2004 DVDs): I'd assume it's what Basic looks like when written, but is there some point in the the Star Wars films we see written English instead? (This sort of spun off from a discussion in How do people understand astromech droids? .) Answer At one point there was English but it has been phased out in subsequent versions of the films. Chris Gould at DVD Active did a comparison of all versions of each of the Star Wars films, and in his comparison of Episode 4 , there are a couple of screenshots showing how the power gauge for the Death Star tractor beam was changed. I imagine there are probably more to be found in his other comparisons but I haven't got around to reading those yet.

Was the "pure soul" of Harry's what had really hurt Voldemort?

In the Order of the Phoenix, Voldemort possesses Harry, and it hurts. Greatly. I think that Dumbledore explained that it was because Voldemort's rotten soul was incapable of assimilating Harry's pure soul, that Voldemort didn't understand the love and friendship etc that Harry has in his heart. But, I think it was a lie. Remember that in Deathly Hallows, while looking for information regarding Horcruxes, it is discovered that it is in fact possible to merge a soul fragment back, but that the process was extremely painful. Now then, if Voldemort tried to possess Harry, and Harry had a fragment of Voldemort's soul, I think that it could have been the true cause of Voldemort's pain: the fact of having his soul so close of another fragment. I think that Dumbledore knew that fact, but had to lie to Harry because it was inappropriate to let him know that he had one of Voldemort's soul fragments at the moment. Is that right? Or was it truly the pure soul of Harry's...

star wars - What "exactly" happens when someone turns to the Dark Side?

When I saw the original Star Wars saga as a kid, the concept of the Dark Side imprinted in me was quite simple. You did a bad thing, so you're a bad person so you go to the Dark Side and keep doing bad things. Now, obviously this doesn't hold true in reality. In my mind it is perfectly reasonable for Luke to kill the Emperor and Vader and then just flee the Death Star and rejoin the Alliance. After all they are at war, those are enemy officers that have captured him and are taunting him by threatening with death of all loved ones and the whole operation was intended to kill the Emperor anyway. The same would hold true for Anakin. He could have killed Mace Windu to save the Chancellor and Padme but that doesn't mean he's going to then go mad and kill all Jedis including children. It doesn't add up from a merely psychological point of view. He had a set of objectives and that made him want to keep the Chancellor alive (quite valid by the way, Mace Windu is quite clums...

star trek - Warning regarding forward saucer section in Nemesis?

In Star Trek: Nemesis , just before the Enterprise rams into the Scimitar, Picard sends a text message from his captain's chair arm pad to Troi — who is manning the helm in lieu of the crewman who was just blown out through what was once the view screen — indicating that she should put full impulse on standby. (Literally, if you watch the scene closely, Troi's console prefaces the order with "TXT MSG" !) My question is: Did Picard also somehow warn crew members in the forward saucer section about what was about to happen? The ramming of the Scimitar was a heat of the moment decision. Considering that he also resorted to calling the auto-destruct sequence shortly after (which ended up being offline), he probably was of the mindset that any losses would be acceptable in order to hault Shinzon's march to Earth. Still, I'm curious. Answer The original script indicates that he called for the crew to " brace for impact ". Whether that call (or the comma...