Skip to main content

story identification - Boy finds cave with ruins of a tiny civilization



About 25 years ago I read a book that for years I've tried to find. I remember nothing of the title or author, but I do remember the plot. My last question about a novel worked out so well I thought I'd try again.


A boy moves and has to live with his grandparents I think? And as he's exploring the outskirts of the new little town he's living in he stumbles across a cave, and in the cave buried in the sand he finds this kind of Native American pueblo type place but at a miniature scale. He thinks it's a model but at some point he comes to the conclusion that it was a real town of little people.


He has trouble at school and I remember at one point some of the bullies from school find and kind of threaten to destroy the place.


Any one read this one?


A few other odd details I remember:


He either bought, or was given a derringer, where the safety was a jewel in the handle of the gun, which at one point saves him as someone that tries to shoot him doesn't know how to deactivate the safety.


There was a "jail" or...cage of some sort in this miniature town made from rattlesnake fangs, which I think continued to have poison and which scratched a kid and nearly killed him.



Answer



I found it. It was called Through the Hidden Door, by Rosemary Wells, first published in 1987.


Before I posted this question, I hadn't bothered merely Googling. I didn't, because I have many times over the years and never found anything. After posting the question I decided I probably should have tried again. Eventually I searched for "book about a boy who finds a cave with a miniature native american ruin" and one of the results was the goodreads.com link I posted above. As soon as I saw the title of the book I knew that was it.



As can happen when you read a book as a kid, the disturbing parts of this story didn't seem that odd. Now, when I think how harsh it was, combined with kind of a whimsical fantasy element like finding a cave of little people ruins, it seems odd that I liked it so much. Many of the reviews on that page note that parts of the book are disturbing, and it is more of a book about bullying and being bullied than fantasy.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

languages - Do we ever see written English in the Star Wars films?

In Empire Strikes Back , we see a transcription of what R2's beeps and bloops mean, but it's not English (sorry for the low quality, it's from the 2004 DVDs): I'd assume it's what Basic looks like when written, but is there some point in the the Star Wars films we see written English instead? (This sort of spun off from a discussion in How do people understand astromech droids? .) Answer At one point there was English but it has been phased out in subsequent versions of the films. Chris Gould at DVD Active did a comparison of all versions of each of the Star Wars films, and in his comparison of Episode 4 , there are a couple of screenshots showing how the power gauge for the Death Star tractor beam was changed. I imagine there are probably more to be found in his other comparisons but I haven't got around to reading those yet.

Was the "pure soul" of Harry's what had really hurt Voldemort?

In the Order of the Phoenix, Voldemort possesses Harry, and it hurts. Greatly. I think that Dumbledore explained that it was because Voldemort's rotten soul was incapable of assimilating Harry's pure soul, that Voldemort didn't understand the love and friendship etc that Harry has in his heart. But, I think it was a lie. Remember that in Deathly Hallows, while looking for information regarding Horcruxes, it is discovered that it is in fact possible to merge a soul fragment back, but that the process was extremely painful. Now then, if Voldemort tried to possess Harry, and Harry had a fragment of Voldemort's soul, I think that it could have been the true cause of Voldemort's pain: the fact of having his soul so close of another fragment. I think that Dumbledore knew that fact, but had to lie to Harry because it was inappropriate to let him know that he had one of Voldemort's soul fragments at the moment. Is that right? Or was it truly the pure soul of Harry's...

star wars - What "exactly" happens when someone turns to the Dark Side?

When I saw the original Star Wars saga as a kid, the concept of the Dark Side imprinted in me was quite simple. You did a bad thing, so you're a bad person so you go to the Dark Side and keep doing bad things. Now, obviously this doesn't hold true in reality. In my mind it is perfectly reasonable for Luke to kill the Emperor and Vader and then just flee the Death Star and rejoin the Alliance. After all they are at war, those are enemy officers that have captured him and are taunting him by threatening with death of all loved ones and the whole operation was intended to kill the Emperor anyway. The same would hold true for Anakin. He could have killed Mace Windu to save the Chancellor and Padme but that doesn't mean he's going to then go mad and kill all Jedis including children. It doesn't add up from a merely psychological point of view. He had a set of objectives and that made him want to keep the Chancellor alive (quite valid by the way, Mace Windu is quite clums...

star trek - Warning regarding forward saucer section in Nemesis?

In Star Trek: Nemesis , just before the Enterprise rams into the Scimitar, Picard sends a text message from his captain's chair arm pad to Troi — who is manning the helm in lieu of the crewman who was just blown out through what was once the view screen — indicating that she should put full impulse on standby. (Literally, if you watch the scene closely, Troi's console prefaces the order with "TXT MSG" !) My question is: Did Picard also somehow warn crew members in the forward saucer section about what was about to happen? The ramming of the Scimitar was a heat of the moment decision. Considering that he also resorted to calling the auto-destruct sequence shortly after (which ended up being offline), he probably was of the mindset that any losses would be acceptable in order to hault Shinzon's march to Earth. Still, I'm curious. Answer The original script indicates that he called for the crew to " brace for impact ". Whether that call (or the comma...