Skip to main content

story identification - Book where a boy and girl are transported into a fantasy video game


The book I am thinking of starts with a boy and girl (I think they are class mates but not friends) both getting the same fantasy game then playing it at their own homes.


When they started the game there was a character selection screen with a a bunch of your generic fantasy class/characters. The twist was that the videogame characters were in on that the kids were going to get transported into the game. The sexualized male and female warrior characters were designed and supposed to lead them through the adventure (We don't learn this for a little bit).


I remember that the boy picked the sexualized adult female warrior character, because he's boy, duh. I think that the girl chose the anthropomorphic character (squirrel person maybe?). The important thing with the (squirrel?) person was that they were (technically) a child. The squirrel child mentions this regularly when anything adult happens and how he can't legally view the adult thing because of "X" Corp, the makers of the game I think.


This throws the other classes for a loop since she didn't pick the character she was supposed to, though it doesn't ruin anything permanently.


There was also something about getting a wish or your hearts desire if you win the game.


I remember the book being trippy, weird, and self aware.



Some of the plot points I remember:




  • There was a village where a machine was stopping everyone from cursing/saying sexual things. For example, a villager explained that he couldn't complement the size a female warrior's bosom/breasts. When he tried to say the word it would be "bleeped" out. The kids eventually rescue the village from that horrible fate.




  • The kids help a female mermaid get back to her husband. When the mermaids embrace and wrap their tails around each other the squirrel child character says "I am a child and cant view any sexually explicit material because...".




  • The girls finds a dog and takes it back to the real world when the game ends.





Throughout the adventure the girl and boy become closer and eventually the girl winning the game (not sure how). When she gets back to the real world she finds she has everything she wanted (A pet dog and a nice boyfriend).


I remember reading the book when I was young and it constantly surprising me. I would love to read it again.



Answer



I believe that it is Demons Don't Dream, the 16th novel in the Xanth series. The protagonists, Dug and Kim, from "Mundania" (aka our world), start playing the Companions of Xanth game, which starts with them choosing a Companion from the list. Dug picks Nada Naga, the beautiful half-snake princess, while Kim picks Jenny Elf, who is indeed underage (and in Xanth, there is magic that protects younger people from knowing about adult things).


When they first play the game, it seems to be a game with text and graphics, but when the players start believing enough, they are pulled all the way into Xanth.


At one stage, Kim has a dream about bubbles floating along with various discarded items in them, and one particularly large one contains a dog. When she pops the bubble, she wakes up, but the dog is still there and she calls it Bubbles and managed to take it home with her at the end.


One of the puzzles in the game that Dug encounters is that Isthmus Village is under the curse of a censorship (a ship that spews out smoke that causes them to be censored from saying and doing things), and he manages to drive that away.


And to cover the other plot point you mention, Kim manages to help two merfolk get together (one could only live in the rivers, the other in the ocean, and she found a spot where the water was a mix of both so they could tolerate it). Jenny says something along the lines of "and now they can summon the stork together, but I don't know how they do that because I'm too young" (although there's a side discussion that she's only pretending to not know because of how the game works, as in a previous novel she actually lost her innocence about the topic).



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

languages - Do we ever see written English in the Star Wars films?

In Empire Strikes Back , we see a transcription of what R2's beeps and bloops mean, but it's not English (sorry for the low quality, it's from the 2004 DVDs): I'd assume it's what Basic looks like when written, but is there some point in the the Star Wars films we see written English instead? (This sort of spun off from a discussion in How do people understand astromech droids? .) Answer At one point there was English but it has been phased out in subsequent versions of the films. Chris Gould at DVD Active did a comparison of all versions of each of the Star Wars films, and in his comparison of Episode 4 , there are a couple of screenshots showing how the power gauge for the Death Star tractor beam was changed. I imagine there are probably more to be found in his other comparisons but I haven't got around to reading those yet.

Was the "pure soul" of Harry's what had really hurt Voldemort?

In the Order of the Phoenix, Voldemort possesses Harry, and it hurts. Greatly. I think that Dumbledore explained that it was because Voldemort's rotten soul was incapable of assimilating Harry's pure soul, that Voldemort didn't understand the love and friendship etc that Harry has in his heart. But, I think it was a lie. Remember that in Deathly Hallows, while looking for information regarding Horcruxes, it is discovered that it is in fact possible to merge a soul fragment back, but that the process was extremely painful. Now then, if Voldemort tried to possess Harry, and Harry had a fragment of Voldemort's soul, I think that it could have been the true cause of Voldemort's pain: the fact of having his soul so close of another fragment. I think that Dumbledore knew that fact, but had to lie to Harry because it was inappropriate to let him know that he had one of Voldemort's soul fragments at the moment. Is that right? Or was it truly the pure soul of Harry's...

star wars - What "exactly" happens when someone turns to the Dark Side?

When I saw the original Star Wars saga as a kid, the concept of the Dark Side imprinted in me was quite simple. You did a bad thing, so you're a bad person so you go to the Dark Side and keep doing bad things. Now, obviously this doesn't hold true in reality. In my mind it is perfectly reasonable for Luke to kill the Emperor and Vader and then just flee the Death Star and rejoin the Alliance. After all they are at war, those are enemy officers that have captured him and are taunting him by threatening with death of all loved ones and the whole operation was intended to kill the Emperor anyway. The same would hold true for Anakin. He could have killed Mace Windu to save the Chancellor and Padme but that doesn't mean he's going to then go mad and kill all Jedis including children. It doesn't add up from a merely psychological point of view. He had a set of objectives and that made him want to keep the Chancellor alive (quite valid by the way, Mace Windu is quite clums...

star trek - Warning regarding forward saucer section in Nemesis?

In Star Trek: Nemesis , just before the Enterprise rams into the Scimitar, Picard sends a text message from his captain's chair arm pad to Troi — who is manning the helm in lieu of the crewman who was just blown out through what was once the view screen — indicating that she should put full impulse on standby. (Literally, if you watch the scene closely, Troi's console prefaces the order with "TXT MSG" !) My question is: Did Picard also somehow warn crew members in the forward saucer section about what was about to happen? The ramming of the Scimitar was a heat of the moment decision. Considering that he also resorted to calling the auto-destruct sequence shortly after (which ended up being offline), he probably was of the mindset that any losses would be acceptable in order to hault Shinzon's march to Earth. Still, I'm curious. Answer The original script indicates that he called for the crew to " brace for impact ". Whether that call (or the comma...