Skip to main content

music - Why did Star Trek: Insurrection feature HMS Pinafore?


In Star Trek: Insurrection, Captain Picard and Worf sing A British Tar from HMS Pinafore by Gilbert and Sullivan in an attempt to distract Data.


As Picard mentions in that scene, Data was rehearsing the song for a performance aboard the Enterprise.


However, is there an out-of-universe reason why that specific operetta was chosen for the movie?


Memory Alpha gives a hint that Patrick Stewart suggested HMS Pinafore (when the original plan for the scene was that they would recite from Shakespear's King Lear), apparently quoting the book Fade In: From Idea to Final Draft.


Does the book Fade In: From Idea to Final Draft give any further details about that change?



Answer



The quote from that book is:




Patrick was uncomfortable using Shakespeare in the ship battle with Data. “I don’t think the Lear quotes work,” he’d said in his notes. “It will be meaningless to most of our audience and I’m not sure I believe in what it is meant to do.”


The idea harkened back to the television series when Picard had taught Data about humanity by directing him in fully-recreated scenes from Shakespeare’s plays on the holodeck. We’d actually built one memorable episode around the themes of Henry V. In addition, I thought the King’s madness in Lear would provide a metaphor for Data’s erratic behavior.


Losing Shakespeare didn’t really bother me. But I felt we needed something like it. I argued that Picard would try every trick to safely capture Data before ever firing a weapon that might harm him. Patrick suggested, “Well, couldn’t I tell him some jokes that we both know or perhaps sing something from Gilbert and Sullivan?” And a new sequence was born



However, this conflicts with his past statements that he's just not keen on their works



In the new Star Trek flick, Stewart's Picard has a lengthy scene with Worf and Data in which they sing "A British Tar" from Gilbert & Sullivan's HMS Pinafore. Again, to some surprise, it's not Stewart's cup of tea.


"I'm sorry, but i really don't like Gilbert & Sullivan," he says, shaking his head between his hands. "It's like the Marx Brothers. I've tried but I just don't get it."




Patrick Stewart tells the story very differently. Apparently he wasn't keen but all of his other suggestions were dismissed



This is how it goes with putting movies together. Michael came up with this idea of "OK how do we distract Data? take him off guard with something that might just distract him for a moment". What he wrote was Shakespeare, rehearsing him in a scene from King Lear. Oh God it was deadly. It was nice, I mean King Lear's a great play but it's not the moment you wanted to have there. I don't recall whose idea it was but "maybe it's musical" came up. First of all, I said, anything that Tony Bennett sings is what we should do, because Brent has this beautiful tenor voice. They said it's obvious and corny and Rick is always reluctant to make 20th century references so overtly. And then Michael came up with the G&S. Now, just like the Marx Brothers, I don't get G&S. Never have. But I thought wait a minute I know what they should sing! Picture Picard and Data singing Three Little Maids . And they said "no that's vulgar, Patrick." And they came up with this song which I resisted and fought and said no it's boring but I was wrong. It's totally successful. So that's how the G&S came about. It works nicely. You're right, the counterpoint of the G&S and what they're actually doing is charming.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

languages - Do we ever see written English in the Star Wars films?

In Empire Strikes Back , we see a transcription of what R2's beeps and bloops mean, but it's not English (sorry for the low quality, it's from the 2004 DVDs): I'd assume it's what Basic looks like when written, but is there some point in the the Star Wars films we see written English instead? (This sort of spun off from a discussion in How do people understand astromech droids? .) Answer At one point there was English but it has been phased out in subsequent versions of the films. Chris Gould at DVD Active did a comparison of all versions of each of the Star Wars films, and in his comparison of Episode 4 , there are a couple of screenshots showing how the power gauge for the Death Star tractor beam was changed. I imagine there are probably more to be found in his other comparisons but I haven't got around to reading those yet.

Was the "pure soul" of Harry's what had really hurt Voldemort?

In the Order of the Phoenix, Voldemort possesses Harry, and it hurts. Greatly. I think that Dumbledore explained that it was because Voldemort's rotten soul was incapable of assimilating Harry's pure soul, that Voldemort didn't understand the love and friendship etc that Harry has in his heart. But, I think it was a lie. Remember that in Deathly Hallows, while looking for information regarding Horcruxes, it is discovered that it is in fact possible to merge a soul fragment back, but that the process was extremely painful. Now then, if Voldemort tried to possess Harry, and Harry had a fragment of Voldemort's soul, I think that it could have been the true cause of Voldemort's pain: the fact of having his soul so close of another fragment. I think that Dumbledore knew that fact, but had to lie to Harry because it was inappropriate to let him know that he had one of Voldemort's soul fragments at the moment. Is that right? Or was it truly the pure soul of Harry's...

star wars - What "exactly" happens when someone turns to the Dark Side?

When I saw the original Star Wars saga as a kid, the concept of the Dark Side imprinted in me was quite simple. You did a bad thing, so you're a bad person so you go to the Dark Side and keep doing bad things. Now, obviously this doesn't hold true in reality. In my mind it is perfectly reasonable for Luke to kill the Emperor and Vader and then just flee the Death Star and rejoin the Alliance. After all they are at war, those are enemy officers that have captured him and are taunting him by threatening with death of all loved ones and the whole operation was intended to kill the Emperor anyway. The same would hold true for Anakin. He could have killed Mace Windu to save the Chancellor and Padme but that doesn't mean he's going to then go mad and kill all Jedis including children. It doesn't add up from a merely psychological point of view. He had a set of objectives and that made him want to keep the Chancellor alive (quite valid by the way, Mace Windu is quite clums...

star trek - Warning regarding forward saucer section in Nemesis?

In Star Trek: Nemesis , just before the Enterprise rams into the Scimitar, Picard sends a text message from his captain's chair arm pad to Troi — who is manning the helm in lieu of the crewman who was just blown out through what was once the view screen — indicating that she should put full impulse on standby. (Literally, if you watch the scene closely, Troi's console prefaces the order with "TXT MSG" !) My question is: Did Picard also somehow warn crew members in the forward saucer section about what was about to happen? The ramming of the Scimitar was a heat of the moment decision. Considering that he also resorted to calling the auto-destruct sequence shortly after (which ended up being offline), he probably was of the mindset that any losses would be acceptable in order to hault Shinzon's march to Earth. Still, I'm curious. Answer The original script indicates that he called for the crew to " brace for impact ". Whether that call (or the comma...