As a young person in the 1970s, I read a book where an inventor/professor created a (mechanical?) dragonfly that could be piloted by what we would today call virtual reality controls. I cannot remember the plot, but a child (or children) flew the dragonfly around and once got it stuck in honey. The hand controls gave the sensation of that stickiness. If I remember right, the "headset" worn by the pilot also had multiple screens to show the various points of view of the dragonfly's eyes.
In Empire Strikes Back , we see a transcription of what R2's beeps and bloops mean, but it's not English (sorry for the low quality, it's from the 2004 DVDs): I'd assume it's what Basic looks like when written, but is there some point in the the Star Wars films we see written English instead? (This sort of spun off from a discussion in How do people understand astromech droids? .) Answer At one point there was English but it has been phased out in subsequent versions of the films. Chris Gould at DVD Active did a comparison of all versions of each of the Star Wars films, and in his comparison of Episode 4 , there are a couple of screenshots showing how the power gauge for the Death Star tractor beam was changed. I imagine there are probably more to be found in his other comparisons but I haven't got around to reading those yet.
Comments
Post a Comment