Skip to main content

Short Story pre-1987: main character is Voyager-style space probe


I think I read this c. 1987. It would've been in a paperback SF short fiction anthology, likely with other stories by more famous authors (Heinlein, Asimov, the usual suspects). As I recall, the name of this story's author was not familiar to my young self at the time. The anthology was probably not a best-of for a particular year; I believe it was more of a thematic all-time deal.


The story's very simple. (Spoiler alert; it's hard to summarize this one without spoilers.) It narrates the perceptions and experiences of the probe as it ventures farther from its point of origin (Earth, I assume). Nothing really happens; planets and galaxies and their ilk drift by. As the endless journey unfolds, other probes from other civilized planets end up in the same trajectory as our hero. One by one, they accumulate; the story ends with a convoy of them probing onward into an unknowable (but achingly lonely, to my young reading self) future...


My Google skills have not been adequate to help me find this. I did read "Interstellar Probes in Science Fiction" on the Icarus Interstellar site, to no avail; the story I'm looking for is not Van Vogt's "Far Centaurus."


My reason for wanting to know is admittedly personal and maybe not of universal interest: the story blew me away and devastated me as a young SF reader. (Yet somehow I forgot title and author!) Judging by other things I loved at the time, it'd probably underwhelm me today, but I'd love to unearth it and give it a fighting chance.


This is my first time on this awesome site (I explored a bit before posting). Apologies if my question's askew or ignorant or somehow violates protocol. Thanks for taking a look!



Answer




"Night Watch" by James Inglis.


I think I read this c. 1987. It would've been in a paperback SF short fiction anthology, likely with other stories by more famous authors (Heinlein, Asimov, the usual suspects).


Assuming it was an American paperback, the most likely suspect is the 1978 Berkley Books edition of Space Odysseys, edited by Brian Aldiss; no Heinlein in it, but Asimov, Clarke, and Dick are represented.


As I recall, the name of this story's author was not familiar to my young self at the time.


The ISFDB lists only five published stories by James Inglis, none of them anthologized except "Night Watch".


The main character is a Voyager-style space probe.



Asov. Automatic stellar observation vehicle.



It narrates the perceptions and experiences of the probe as it ventures farther from its point of origin (Earth, I assume).




As the old star slowly receded, he completed the program of his first mission. The data which loaded his brain cells was collated, coded, and dispatched in a tight beam of radio waves, directed towards a tiny area of the firmament where lay the remote star Sol and the planet Earth. The planet which he had never known, but out of which he had come.



As the endless journey unfolds, other probes from other civilized planets end up in the same trajectory as our hero.



Asov learned that the mysterious object was in reality something very familiar and at the same time totally alien. It was an interstellar probe, almost a mirror image of himself though its origins were half a galaxy away from his.



One by one, they accumulate;



Proof that the encounter was not a rare quirk of chance was soon forthcoming. More meetings took place, at first widely separated in time and space, later on an increasingly more frequent basis. Each encounter occurred amidst a steadily shrinking nucleus of stars.




The story ends with a convoy of them probing onward into an unknowable (but achingly lonely, to my young reading self) future...



The great probe fleet, keepers and guardians of cosmic history, sailed out to the starless gulfs in search of galaxies to call their own.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Was the "pure soul" of Harry's what had really hurt Voldemort?

In the Order of the Phoenix, Voldemort possesses Harry, and it hurts. Greatly. I think that Dumbledore explained that it was because Voldemort's rotten soul was incapable of assimilating Harry's pure soul, that Voldemort didn't understand the love and friendship etc that Harry has in his heart. But, I think it was a lie. Remember that in Deathly Hallows, while looking for information regarding Horcruxes, it is discovered that it is in fact possible to merge a soul fragment back, but that the process was extremely painful. Now then, if Voldemort tried to possess Harry, and Harry had a fragment of Voldemort's soul, I think that it could have been the true cause of Voldemort's pain: the fact of having his soul so close of another fragment. I think that Dumbledore knew that fact, but had to lie to Harry because it was inappropriate to let him know that he had one of Voldemort's soul fragments at the moment. Is that right? Or was it truly the pure soul of Harry's...

languages - Do we ever see written English in the Star Wars films?

In Empire Strikes Back , we see a transcription of what R2's beeps and bloops mean, but it's not English (sorry for the low quality, it's from the 2004 DVDs): I'd assume it's what Basic looks like when written, but is there some point in the the Star Wars films we see written English instead? (This sort of spun off from a discussion in How do people understand astromech droids? .) Answer At one point there was English but it has been phased out in subsequent versions of the films. Chris Gould at DVD Active did a comparison of all versions of each of the Star Wars films, and in his comparison of Episode 4 , there are a couple of screenshots showing how the power gauge for the Death Star tractor beam was changed. I imagine there are probably more to be found in his other comparisons but I haven't got around to reading those yet.

star wars - What "exactly" happens when someone turns to the Dark Side?

When I saw the original Star Wars saga as a kid, the concept of the Dark Side imprinted in me was quite simple. You did a bad thing, so you're a bad person so you go to the Dark Side and keep doing bad things. Now, obviously this doesn't hold true in reality. In my mind it is perfectly reasonable for Luke to kill the Emperor and Vader and then just flee the Death Star and rejoin the Alliance. After all they are at war, those are enemy officers that have captured him and are taunting him by threatening with death of all loved ones and the whole operation was intended to kill the Emperor anyway. The same would hold true for Anakin. He could have killed Mace Windu to save the Chancellor and Padme but that doesn't mean he's going to then go mad and kill all Jedis including children. It doesn't add up from a merely psychological point of view. He had a set of objectives and that made him want to keep the Chancellor alive (quite valid by the way, Mace Windu is quite clums...

star trek - Warning regarding forward saucer section in Nemesis?

In Star Trek: Nemesis , just before the Enterprise rams into the Scimitar, Picard sends a text message from his captain's chair arm pad to Troi — who is manning the helm in lieu of the crewman who was just blown out through what was once the view screen — indicating that she should put full impulse on standby. (Literally, if you watch the scene closely, Troi's console prefaces the order with "TXT MSG" !) My question is: Did Picard also somehow warn crew members in the forward saucer section about what was about to happen? The ramming of the Scimitar was a heat of the moment decision. Considering that he also resorted to calling the auto-destruct sequence shortly after (which ended up being offline), he probably was of the mindset that any losses would be acceptable in order to hault Shinzon's march to Earth. Still, I'm curious. Answer The original script indicates that he called for the crew to " brace for impact ". Whether that call (or the comma...