Skip to main content

doctor who - Why didn't Rose Tyler die after possessing Time Vortex?


The 9th Doctor took Time Vortex from Rose just for few seconds and his cells started to die leaving him no choice but to regenerate.


Previously, Rose possessed Time Vortex for several minutes (She spent time in TARDIS while coming to The Doctor from 21st century and then her dialogue time while killing Daleks etc), but she didn't die. Why?


Provided that humans are softer than Time Lords and she possessed Time Vortex for longer duration, why didn't she die?



Answer



I believe her conversation afterwards indicates that it's more like she was possessed and the TARDIS kept her safe, as it was her plan to save The Doctor.


We know that the TARDIS is conscious (6x04 The Doctor's Wife), and Rose also seems to indicate this in her line:



I looked into the TARDIS, and the TARDIS looked into me.




Sure, the Doctor corrects her ("You looked into the time vortex. Rose, no-one's meant to see that."), but it may be that The Doctor simply doesn't realise this yet (As until The Doctor's Wife, it had been established that only later model TARDISes were known to be conscious).


With all this in mind, I think it makes her final conversation with The Doctor more meaningful:



Rose: What happened?


The Doctor: Don't you remember?


Rose: It's like. . .there was this singing.


The Doctor: That's right, I sang a song and the Daleks ran away!


Rose: I was at home... No, I wasn't, I was in the Tardis and there was this light. I can't remember anything else.



There are also similarities between the look of the "essence" that The Doctor removed from Rose and blew back into the TARDIS, and the "essence" of the TARDIS escaping from Idris in The Doctor's Wife:



Image of the Time Vortex / TARDIS essence from The Parting of the Ways


Image of the TARDIS essence from The Doctor's Wife


As to why it still caused The Doctor to die, that may be because Time Lords are already operating on a similar plane of consciousness to the TARDIS, as the Doctor hints at:



Rose: I can see everything. All that is, all that was, all that ever could be.


The Doctor: That's what I see, all the time.



Which would make the effect of having another consciousness inhabit their own even more stressful on their physiology than on a human.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

languages - Do we ever see written English in the Star Wars films?

In Empire Strikes Back , we see a transcription of what R2's beeps and bloops mean, but it's not English (sorry for the low quality, it's from the 2004 DVDs): I'd assume it's what Basic looks like when written, but is there some point in the the Star Wars films we see written English instead? (This sort of spun off from a discussion in How do people understand astromech droids? .) Answer At one point there was English but it has been phased out in subsequent versions of the films. Chris Gould at DVD Active did a comparison of all versions of each of the Star Wars films, and in his comparison of Episode 4 , there are a couple of screenshots showing how the power gauge for the Death Star tractor beam was changed. I imagine there are probably more to be found in his other comparisons but I haven't got around to reading those yet.

Was the "pure soul" of Harry's what had really hurt Voldemort?

In the Order of the Phoenix, Voldemort possesses Harry, and it hurts. Greatly. I think that Dumbledore explained that it was because Voldemort's rotten soul was incapable of assimilating Harry's pure soul, that Voldemort didn't understand the love and friendship etc that Harry has in his heart. But, I think it was a lie. Remember that in Deathly Hallows, while looking for information regarding Horcruxes, it is discovered that it is in fact possible to merge a soul fragment back, but that the process was extremely painful. Now then, if Voldemort tried to possess Harry, and Harry had a fragment of Voldemort's soul, I think that it could have been the true cause of Voldemort's pain: the fact of having his soul so close of another fragment. I think that Dumbledore knew that fact, but had to lie to Harry because it was inappropriate to let him know that he had one of Voldemort's soul fragments at the moment. Is that right? Or was it truly the pure soul of Harry's...

star wars - What "exactly" happens when someone turns to the Dark Side?

When I saw the original Star Wars saga as a kid, the concept of the Dark Side imprinted in me was quite simple. You did a bad thing, so you're a bad person so you go to the Dark Side and keep doing bad things. Now, obviously this doesn't hold true in reality. In my mind it is perfectly reasonable for Luke to kill the Emperor and Vader and then just flee the Death Star and rejoin the Alliance. After all they are at war, those are enemy officers that have captured him and are taunting him by threatening with death of all loved ones and the whole operation was intended to kill the Emperor anyway. The same would hold true for Anakin. He could have killed Mace Windu to save the Chancellor and Padme but that doesn't mean he's going to then go mad and kill all Jedis including children. It doesn't add up from a merely psychological point of view. He had a set of objectives and that made him want to keep the Chancellor alive (quite valid by the way, Mace Windu is quite clums...

star trek - Warning regarding forward saucer section in Nemesis?

In Star Trek: Nemesis , just before the Enterprise rams into the Scimitar, Picard sends a text message from his captain's chair arm pad to Troi — who is manning the helm in lieu of the crewman who was just blown out through what was once the view screen — indicating that she should put full impulse on standby. (Literally, if you watch the scene closely, Troi's console prefaces the order with "TXT MSG" !) My question is: Did Picard also somehow warn crew members in the forward saucer section about what was about to happen? The ramming of the Scimitar was a heat of the moment decision. Considering that he also resorted to calling the auto-destruct sequence shortly after (which ended up being offline), he probably was of the mindset that any losses would be acceptable in order to hault Shinzon's march to Earth. Still, I'm curious. Answer The original script indicates that he called for the crew to " brace for impact ". Whether that call (or the comma...