Skip to main content

Does Star Trek ever allude to Sulu's sexual orientation?


George Takei has recently renewed his celebrity via social media and especially his support for gay rights. Did Hikaru Sulu (Takei's character in Star Trek) ever have a lover or love interest in the TV show, films or books? If not, is it possible that Sulu is, like his portrayer, homosexual?


Now, I know that an actor's sexuality and the sexuality of a character they play don't need to have anything to do with each other. For instance, we know that while Captain Kirk was a promiscuous ball of interspecies lust, Shatner in real life was/is practically celibate. OK, I made that up, but my point is it could be true.


Update I think I wasn't clear in my question -- what I meant was not whether Sulu was revealed as gay, but rather did Sulu's sexual orientation of any kind (gay or straight) ever get revealed? Did he ever have a love or love interest that was male or female?




Answer



Oddly enough, Star Trek and homosexuality is like fire and water. It's always been something they danced around, perpetuating heterosexual relationships as the only existing and valid form. There's even a whole Wikipedia page, discussing this.


Kate Mulgrew once said in an interview:



Well, one would think that Hollywood would be more open-minded at this point, since essentially the whole town is run by the gay community. It makes very little sense if you think about it. No, Star Trek is very strangely by the book in this regard. Rick Berman, who is a very sagacious man, has been very firm about certain things. I've approached him many, many times over the years about getting a gay character on the show--one whom we could really love, not just a guest star. Y'know, we had blacks, Asians, we even had a handicapped character--and so I thought, this is now beginning to look a bit absurd. And he said, "In due time." And so, I'm suspecting that on Enterprise they will do something to this effect. I couldn't get it done on mine. And I am sorry for that.



(emphasis added)


So, as you can see, the actual (i.e. the pre-Abrams era) Star Trek doesn't touch that topic. Yes, there are a few exceptions in TNG, DS9 and even very slightly in VOY, but nothing concrete.


Since Abrams has a habit of changing Star Trek (so far for the worse, if you ask me), maybe he'll get lucky and change something for the better. But I wouldn't bet on it.





Edit: You bring up the question whether changing the Sulu in the new timline-skewed films would have an impact on the "old" Sulu we knew in TOS.


That's a tricky question, and it is difficult to even discuss without offending people (so, I hope I manage). There're several assumptions you have to take into account: Is sexual preference a genetic trait, pure choice, environmental, upbringing, ...? I've no idea, but I'm given to understand that some people take offence in some of them.


However, these theories all influence whether changing his preference in post 2009 productions would imply assertions about TOS-Sulu. For instance, if its genetic, the connection is obvious; Somebody going back in his life-time (we can assume Sulu to be about the age of Kirk, right?) wouldn't effect a change in his DNA. Similarly, if the environment theory applies, the changed conditions of his life (that were affected) could support a change of preference.


So, featuring any indication of Sulu's sexuality in new films without careful consideration could lead to drastic continuity errors that would imply statements about LGBT that the producers are (if they are the slightest considerate) not going to be willing to make.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

languages - Do we ever see written English in the Star Wars films?

In Empire Strikes Back , we see a transcription of what R2's beeps and bloops mean, but it's not English (sorry for the low quality, it's from the 2004 DVDs): I'd assume it's what Basic looks like when written, but is there some point in the the Star Wars films we see written English instead? (This sort of spun off from a discussion in How do people understand astromech droids? .) Answer At one point there was English but it has been phased out in subsequent versions of the films. Chris Gould at DVD Active did a comparison of all versions of each of the Star Wars films, and in his comparison of Episode 4 , there are a couple of screenshots showing how the power gauge for the Death Star tractor beam was changed. I imagine there are probably more to be found in his other comparisons but I haven't got around to reading those yet.

Was the "pure soul" of Harry's what had really hurt Voldemort?

In the Order of the Phoenix, Voldemort possesses Harry, and it hurts. Greatly. I think that Dumbledore explained that it was because Voldemort's rotten soul was incapable of assimilating Harry's pure soul, that Voldemort didn't understand the love and friendship etc that Harry has in his heart. But, I think it was a lie. Remember that in Deathly Hallows, while looking for information regarding Horcruxes, it is discovered that it is in fact possible to merge a soul fragment back, but that the process was extremely painful. Now then, if Voldemort tried to possess Harry, and Harry had a fragment of Voldemort's soul, I think that it could have been the true cause of Voldemort's pain: the fact of having his soul so close of another fragment. I think that Dumbledore knew that fact, but had to lie to Harry because it was inappropriate to let him know that he had one of Voldemort's soul fragments at the moment. Is that right? Or was it truly the pure soul of Harry's...

star wars - What "exactly" happens when someone turns to the Dark Side?

When I saw the original Star Wars saga as a kid, the concept of the Dark Side imprinted in me was quite simple. You did a bad thing, so you're a bad person so you go to the Dark Side and keep doing bad things. Now, obviously this doesn't hold true in reality. In my mind it is perfectly reasonable for Luke to kill the Emperor and Vader and then just flee the Death Star and rejoin the Alliance. After all they are at war, those are enemy officers that have captured him and are taunting him by threatening with death of all loved ones and the whole operation was intended to kill the Emperor anyway. The same would hold true for Anakin. He could have killed Mace Windu to save the Chancellor and Padme but that doesn't mean he's going to then go mad and kill all Jedis including children. It doesn't add up from a merely psychological point of view. He had a set of objectives and that made him want to keep the Chancellor alive (quite valid by the way, Mace Windu is quite clums...

star trek - Warning regarding forward saucer section in Nemesis?

In Star Trek: Nemesis , just before the Enterprise rams into the Scimitar, Picard sends a text message from his captain's chair arm pad to Troi — who is manning the helm in lieu of the crewman who was just blown out through what was once the view screen — indicating that she should put full impulse on standby. (Literally, if you watch the scene closely, Troi's console prefaces the order with "TXT MSG" !) My question is: Did Picard also somehow warn crew members in the forward saucer section about what was about to happen? The ramming of the Scimitar was a heat of the moment decision. Considering that he also resorted to calling the auto-destruct sequence shortly after (which ended up being offline), he probably was of the mindset that any losses would be acceptable in order to hault Shinzon's march to Earth. Still, I'm curious. Answer The original script indicates that he called for the crew to " brace for impact ". Whether that call (or the comma...